What's your biggest car cleaning fu*k up?

calmeda1

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Hi, what detail/cleaning product is best for removing the adhesive residue when debadging? I recall seeing something about Goo gone is bad for painted surfaces but can’t find the exact reference. Wondering what to use instead. Thank you.
Adhesive Eraser Wheels are your best bet
Sponsored

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Hi, what detail/cleaning product is best for removing the adhesive residue when debadging? I recall seeing something about Goo gone is bad for painted surfaces but can’t find the exact reference. Wondering what to use instead. Thank you.
So long as you haven’t smeared it a good piece of tape could be all you need. Typically the adhesive on the badge you just removed is good enough.

TiE2000

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
Goo gone is fine. Used it alot on my previous cars
Yup been using goo gone for years. Just don't let it sit on your paint for long. Once all the adhesive is gone, throughly wash that area with soap and water. Did it recently when I replaced my broken Supra badge.

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Nothing crazy here; When i was younger i got a black 3000gt, the car was already 18 years old so the paint was not the best and of course black shoes everything. I tried to polish it to a mirror finish but definitely just put more swirls in it which was frustrating.

Since then i don’t fuck around with paint too much. I did clay bar once, and wax twice a year, wash once a month and that’s good enough for me. Helps that i hand wash and use clean towels too I’m sure instead of those scratch machine automatic car washes

OP
OP
Supra_UK_

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Nothing crazy here; When i was younger i got a black 3000gt, the car was already 18 years old so the paint was not the best and of course black shoes everything. I tried to polish it to a mirror finish but definitely just put more swirls in it which was frustrating.

Since then i don’t fuck around with paint too much. I did clay bar once, and wax twice a year, wash once a month and that’s good enough for me. Helps that i hand wash and use clean towels too I’m sure instead of those scratch machine automatic car washes
I had the same experience, I noticed most of the trouble is when I start focussing too much on the finishing/perfection stage, that 95%-100% range can end up ruining everything.

Like you, now I focus on frequent washes, using quality products and the right tools, clean mitts and towels, and it always looks good and makes the process less error prone. I just use quick spray waxes and sealants.

I am of the opinion once you get to polishing, claying, ceramic coating it's best left to the pros in a studio with the right tools and skills, but I know many non pros are still able to get decent results.

I love the 3000 btw, what a stunner props to you for having the courage to buy that, I'd like to get one just for fun if I have more money and space, it has amazing presence 🥰

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I had the same experience, I noticed most of the trouble is when I start focussing too much on the finishing/perfection stage, that 95%-100% range can end up ruining everything.

Like you, now I focus on frequent washes, using quality products and the right tools, clean mitts and towels, and it always looks good and makes the process less error prone. I just use quick spray waxes and sealants.

I am of the opinion once you get to polishing, claying, ceramic coating it's best left to the pros in a studio with the right tools and skills, but I know many non pros are still able to get decent results.

I love the 3000 btw, what a stunner props to you for having the courage to buy that, I'd like to get one just for fun if I have more money and space, it has amazing presence 🥰
Yeah I keep the interior super clean which is straightforward but getting paint just right is so finicky and chasing perfection will drive me crazy haha.
Buying the car new and having it in the garage goes a long way too.

Maybe someday if the budget allows I’ll have a professional do paint correction, remove orange peel, ppf, etc but that’s tough to justify spending thousands when it already looks better than 98% of cars on the road.

Thanks on the 3000gt! Love the way they look, super underrated cars but definitely not the most reliable. Stressful as a daily when it’s your only car lol but picking up a nice example as a 3rd car would be nice.

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra

92EED20C-5CAD-4BC2-A67E-9471AAD1E8B8.jpeg

BE7059C1-73A9-410C-BB5E-5F54EC0C992F.jpeg

BrodoFratgins

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 MKV Supra MT
Accidentally left my watch on while cleaning the interior. Was wiping down the dashboard and watch scratched the crap out of the window. Left a bunch of black and gray scratches right where the HUD lines up so I always see them.

Stovetop cleaner kinda helped get it out so it's not as bad, but there are some still there.

OP
OP
Supra_UK_

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Oh. My. I freaking love this thing!!! 🥰😍

On the extremely rare times I see this around, I go wild! And no one around me gets it 🤣😅

And on the other stuff: Agree 100%, my Supra's interior is beyond sanity clean, and garage kept, so the paint should remain nice and glossy for many years to come, safe from UV 😃

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Oh. My. I freaking love this thing!!! 🥰😍

On the extremely rare times I see this around, I go wild! And no one around me gets it 🤣😅

And on the other stuff: Agree 100%, my Supra's interior is beyond sanity clean, and garage kept, so the paint should remain nice and glossy for many years to come, safe from UV 😃
Thanks! Yeah they always get a thumbs up from me when i see one which is rare…maybe someday we will get another and do a 99 front end conversion 😍

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
Metal polish and an orbital removes the blue burnt finish of titanium.

Who'da thunk

sojusoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1996 BB NSX, 2003 GPW S2000
Used the rubber wheel to remove residual tape from the spoiler and nearly melted a whole through the rear hatch. Didnt realize the rear hatch was Plastic!!!

Ruman

First Name
Ruman
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Used the rubber wheel to remove residual tape from the spoiler and nearly melted a whole through the rear hatch. Didnt realize the rear hatch was Plastic!!!
Something similar happened to me last week. I was trying to remove the residue after taking the front badge off with a rubber eraser wheel and rubbed off some of my PPF, luckily the paint underneath was fine.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2008 BMW 335xi, 2004 Acura RSX
I once had tree sap drops from a pine tree on the hood and figured I should deal with those sooner than later.

I made the mistake of using a normal towel rather than a microfibre cloth and while my generous use of Goo-Gone did the trick, I was left with some very noticeable swirl marks

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Letting my two year old be around while I clean. Apparently rocks don't buff anything out of the bumper. Just causes scrapes. Who woulda thought?
Sponsored