Which lowering springs…?

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
I recall that many years ago, there was more talk about how wheel spacers can reduce the life of wheel bearings. Here's a query of this topic using AI results:

Wheel spacers are a topic that often sparks debate among car enthusiasts. Let’s delve into the science and engineering behind them to understand their impact on wheel bearings.

1. Scrub Radius:
    • The scrub radius is the distance from the center of the tire contact patch to the point where the kingpin axis intersects the ground.
    • If the kingpin axis intersects the ground inboard of the center of the tire contact patch, the scrub radius is positive. If it intersects outboard, the scrub radius is negative.
    • Rear-wheel-drive cars typically have a small positive scrub radius, while front-wheel-drive vehicles tend to have a negative scrub radius.
    • Altering the scrub radius affects how forces (like braking, acceleration, and impacts) act through the suspension.
  2. Kingpin Offset:
    • The kingpin offset is the distance between the center of the wheel/tire assembly and the kingpin axis.
    • Normal kingpin offset values range from about 50 mm to 100 mm.
    • Achieving a small kingpin offset is desirable for stability and handling.
  3. Wheel Spacers and Bearings:
In summary, while wheel spacers can enhance aesthetics by widening the stance, they do introduce potential risks to wheel bearings. It’s essential to weigh the trade-offs carefully and consider the impact on safety and longevity when using wheel spacers.

I am not taking sides yet, as I do not have lowering springs at this time. Maybe our wheel bearings are very easy to replace, making this a moot point.......
Sponsored

Last edited: