Why I'm NOT Hyped About The New Toyota Supra

kjh

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RX-8(daily), RX-7 (weekend)
You can not really blame the Japanese car manufactures for not making more sports cars when their home market is all about mini vans and kei cars. The youth do not buy sports cars anymore. The Supra, NSX, RX-7 and many others hot hatches of the 80 and 90s was product of the Japanese spending money on sports cars and tuning to go drifting or racing on the wangan. I think much of the magic was the Japanese way of doing engineering, being isolated from the rest of the world (galƔpagos syndrome). You still can find glimpses of it with the LFA (the new LC500), the GTR and Mazda design language. German car companies have always had a strong home and UK market for cars with big horse power. Also racing have been big in Europe. Most of the F1 teams have HQ in the UK for example.
Sponsored

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
That fact that no one is buying the GS-F and RC-F speaks for itself. The GS-F is way too expensive in my opinion. Dealers have to take $20k off the list price in order to move them. Even Lexus fanboys over at ClubLexus agree it should have been a mid $60k car.

I never said there was anything wrong with the 86. I think it is a well package car, heck I would take it over the Miata. But me and Craigy were just talking about power as well. And thats why I brought up the Mustang, a car that is probably quite offen cross shopped with the 86. You need view our conversation/topic as a whole and not just nitpick a few lines.

Super fugly, but the 370z :thumbsup:
This video pretty much sums up how you feel.

PaulMK4

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus RCF
Guys, l'm new here, and I have to said that I put a true lot of hype on the MKV.
Even since the FT-1 Concept pops up in my GT6 game.

Let's face it, even before being a 5-10hp upgrade over the 1993 model, 335hp is a 90s value. :nono:

Back in the nineties, the MKIV was able to keep it up with F355s and 996s. It was huge. :bow:

Nowadays, your average sport focus got over 335hp straight outta the factory.:beer:

At least if it was kinda light, like 1100kg with all fluids, but nope.
L'm good for 1500kg with my disappointed face behind the wheel.

So, If the leaks are accurates, good luck for chasing any 488s or 991.2s in that MKV. :eek:

I expected so much from Toyota, I wanted them to do a proper GT, a super car killer, not a beautiful coupe with Hot-Hatch power. :dunno:

Tuning on the MKIV was just an option, on the MKV, stage 3 will become mandatory. :doh:

And BTW, a 0-62 in 3.8sec seems impossible to achieve for a 1500kg - 340hp car without AWD. o_O

But maybe l'm all wrong, maybe it's just another gentlemen's agreement and the actual power output is like 500hp.:hmm:

Maybe the US MKVs are likely to get a completely different powertrain. :spaz:

I don't know, but I hope so.:(

Let my know your thoughts, below :)

Last edited:

mikenogo

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
is350
Well, I am kinda in the same boat, If this car comes in a manual, I can forgive everything else. If there is no manual transmission, then I am just going to buy an bmw m2.

milkman2089

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Lotus Elise, 2013 Scion FRS
According to some of our forum insiders the weight is supposed to be around around 1270kg!

Donā€™t forget the mkiv was also offered in an NA version. So I wouldnā€™t be too disappointed until we get official numbers!

PaulMK4

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus RCF
So that tiny 340hp could be from the NA engine ?

Now we're talking

milkman2089

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Lotus Elise, 2013 Scion FRS
Considering the engines are being sourced through BMW my guess is between 300-385 depending on the trim level.

Maybe @A70TTR can comment on this.

Sammy82

First Name
Sammy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'99 Subaru sti
I donā€™t think it will be called a Supra anyway. If it is a Supra, there is a problem, if itā€™s not, then itā€™s just another sportscar

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
don't let magazines shape your opinion of the world, unless they are ones rooted in facts after the car is released :)
I think Toyota at this point is falsely providing information now, in abundance so that when it is released not jsut to the car population, but even news outlets, they'll be turning heads.

The issue with that line of thinking is how will BMW try and sell the Z4 unless they receive the upscale interior and quality trims

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think all complaints should hold off until after the Geneva show when Toyota releases the car. Lets hope they release exact details about it and not general facts like 'the car is powered by a 6Cyl turbo engine putting power north of 320HP/330TQ' with no confirmation of it being an inline or V6 configuration. I hope they show the interior as well.

Hondabar

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Accord hrv
Well, I am kinda in the same boat, If this car comes in a manual, I can forgive everything else. If there is no manual transmission, then I am just going to buy an bmw m2.
I'm in the EXACT same boat, although, I'm still interested in the next STI.
Sponsored