Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
Alright, so excitement level?....probably a 5. To me, a Supra means super strong power-train with Toyota reliability and durability....and so since we don't have concrete information on what those drive-train components will be, I am at a 5 simply based on the idea of a new Supra. This may change as new information about the MKV Supra is available that is more relevant to what I am looking for in a sports car. Styling and such really means nothing to me, as I am more of a function-over-form buyer....that's why I love the R35 GTR so much. The MKV Supra has the potential to be one of the greatest sports car of this era, if Toyota wants it to be. However, I personally think all signs are pointing to just another mass produced budget car.
Iā€™m totally with you on the function over form aspect of things. R35 GTR is an amazing machine (kudos to Nissan for making it in house instead of begging someone else)... they made the car super easy to drive and put the power down, however in the process they removed the driver aspect of things. Itā€™s an ok car to drive but everyone gets bored with it and sell it within a year or two. Iā€™ve known at least 6 people thatā€™ve said the same thing and ended up selling it.
Sponsored

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
+2 Gtr is great, but often traded due to fun factor..

Iā€™m also a 5.

5 based on look and aesthetic, the other 5 would be if had manual tranny and good hp numbers.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Buzz is even less given that the corporate cousin of this car looks like a dud. Average at best.. not much hope for the supra unless they come out with some news that will gather everyoneā€™s attention..

Things like.. 400hp, manual transmission.. etc.

This mid 300hp rating and only auto sounds like a RWD Camry at best. Total misjudgemenf of the market IMO.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Itā€™s an ok car to drive but everyone gets bored with it and sell it within a year or two. Iā€™ve known at least 6 people thatā€™ve said the same thing and ended up selling it.
+2 Gtr is great, but often traded due to fun factor.
Totally agree with both of you on this, and I too have witnessed the same. Most folks I have talked to who have owned a GTR and traded it a few years later, have done so from a "street car" or "daily" fun factor / perspective....which is understandable especially with a lack of a manual transmission. This is one of the main reasons I instantly fell in love with the 997 Porsche, is because (although "slower" than a R35) it is really fun to drive on the street and feels like a proper race car. I never knew Porsche's were this good....but now I know what all the hype and cost is about with 911's.

If the MKV Supra can be as enjoyable (power, handling, etc..) as the 997 with Toyota reliability and fair price, then it's a no brainer.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Totally agree with both of you on this, and I too have witnessed the same. Most folks I have talked to who have owned a GTR and traded it a few years later, have done so from a "street car" or "daily" fun factor / perspective....which is understandable especially with a lack of a manual transmission. This is one of the main reasons I instantly fell in love with the 997 Porsche, is because (although "slower" than a R35) it is really fun to drive on the street and feels like a proper race car. I never knew Porsche's were this good....but now I know what all the hype and cost is about with 911's.

If the MKV Supra can be as enjoyable (power, handling, etc..) as the 997 with Toyota reliability and fair price, then it's a no brainer.
997 TT are amazing and Iā€™d like to own one some day...

The new Supra is a BMW regardless of how you slice it and dice it. Yes, Toyota mightā€™ve made some tweaks to the motor to make the engine reliable but people forget the part that falls apart in a bimmer are stuff like..

1) Electronics, germans and electrical systems are water and oil. They are forced to work for a few years and the dash is lit like a Christmas tree with all sorts of sensors acting up etc
2) interior design and quality, not one bmw interior has aged gracefully in terms of design and actually work
3) have you even seen any 90s or early 2000 BMWs running around anymore? Cause they are all dead. Expensive suspension parts, bushings falling apart leaves the 2nd hand owner to abandon them. Very few of them on the road today.

The new Zupra is made by BMW, in Austria and if you expect Toyota quality out of it.. Iā€™m sorry but you are setting yourself up for a disappointment.

Oh donā€™t forget.. now you are expecting a Toyota tech that knows nothing about a car to work on it when you take it for service or warranty. Letā€™s see how that goes, Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll train them.... but they may only train like one guy or so at a given dealership.

Toyota has saved a meaningless penny in making its flagship car... which displays mediocre German engineering as opposed to what Toyota can do by themselves.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

While not the same car, Supra was tested alongside the 991.1 Carrera S and beaten it on some race tracks. Now, this is word of mouth from a close friend of Tada. That can very well be the Toyota Kool-Aid giving the PR treatment for the skeptics. We will forever have to just wait and see if specs will be released again prior to the year is over. Cause that's where we are heading.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
While not the same car, Supra was tested alongside the 991.1 Carrera S and beaten it on some race tracks. Now, this is word of mouth from a close friend of Tada. That can very well be the Toyota Kool-Aid giving the PR treatment for the skeptics. We will forever have to just wait and see if specs will be released again prior to the year is over. Cause that's where we are heading.
Carrera S is 420hp and weighs about 3200lbs. This Zupra will not even come close to that carā€™s performance. It wonā€™t offer the fun of a 7spd manual or the brand value.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Carrera S is 420hp and weighs about 3200lbs. This Zupra will not even come close to that carā€™s performance. It wonā€™t offer the fun of a 7spd manual or the brand value.
991.1 Carrera S, not the 991.2, unless I fucked up somewhere. Wasn't it 380 HP for the previous gen?

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
991.1 Carrera S, not the 991.2, unless I fucked up somewhere. Wasn't it 380 HP for the previous gen?
Base model Carrera is about 370hp. But itā€™s very ambitious to even think this whatever thatā€™s coming up will compete with the 911.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
997 TT are amazing and Iā€™d like to own one some day...

The new Supra is a BMW regardless of how you slice it and dice it. Yes, Toyota mightā€™ve made some tweaks to the motor to make the engine reliable but people forget the part that falls apart in a bimmer are stuff like..

The new Zupra is made by BMW, in Austria and if you expect Toyota quality out of it.. Iā€™m sorry but you are setting yourself up for a disappointment.

Toyota has saved a meaningless penny in making its flagship car... which displays mediocre German engineering as opposed to what Toyota can do by themselves.
Oh I totally agree, i'm not even going to try and justify Toyota's move on collaborating with BMW. However, I won't go into that argument again as historically speaking, I have been "stung" one too many times here...:fear:

I'm just saying, if by some miracle Toyota decides to release a game changing drive-train that actually does pan out well....that would be a huge factor for me. I have always said that if the drive-train is stout and reliable, I am in. Yet, just like you said, history has proven that BMW-manufactured anything has not stood the test of time and/or use.

At the end of the day, I have nothing to lose here....as the months go by, it's just a bigger down payment I am able to cash out ;).

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I totally agree, i'm not even going to try and justify Toyota's move on collaborating with BMW. However, I won't go into that argument again as historically speaking, I have been "stung" one too many times here...:fear:

I'm just saying, if by some miracle Toyota decides to release a game changing drive-train that actually does pan out well....that would be a huge factor for me. I have always said that if the drive-train is stout and reliable, I am in. Yet, just like you said, history has proven that BMW-manufactured anything has not stood the test of time and/or use.

At the end of the day, I have nothing to lose here....as the months go by, it's just a bigger down payment I am able to cash out ;).
Toyota ran out of performance miracles in 1993. Besides some minor tweaks as mentioned elsewhere in this forum.. the car will be a re-skinned Z4 and a hard top.

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
More like late 90s\early 2000s. The Beams 3sge, 2zzge, 2/3rz, 2nd gen 1jz and 2js, last gen 1uz, etc were all fantastic motors.

Five here as well; if a manual with user-selectable rev-matching was coming I'd be at a 9.
Every manual car I've ever owned had user-selectable rev-matching. You just have to get good at using your right foot to turn it on ;)

I'm like a 7. Pretty much zero interest in actually buying a sports car with a Toyota badge on it unless it was at least made in Japan with some measure of Toyota parts in it (and a manual tranny), but it is very exciting to at least be able to partake in the pre-release process and anticipation of the next Supra. Many of us have been die hard Supra guys for decades, yet we still are too young to have had an opportunity to go through this with the mk4. If even such a thing were possible back then without the internet.

sedanlova

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk4 twins
In my case, if the car comes with the rumoured CGI block B58 and prices stays in the 50's...I'm in...excitement level 8.

If not CGI block...excitement level 0.
Sponsored