Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
Love anything thatā€™s fun and offers a manual. Iā€™m never a brand loyalist.

GenV Vipers are everything a Viper ever wanted to be, amazing vehicle. If you drove one and put it through itā€™s paces youā€™d understand how perfect a car Ralph Gillis has rendered.

Iā€™d like to own a 991.2 GT3 Touring one day... so my next expensive purchase would definitely be that.

I like balance and love NA more than forced induction these days. Both my favorite traits (naturally aspirated and manual) of a sports car are becoming a thing of the past these days.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Love anything thatā€™s fun and offers a manual. Iā€™m never a brand loyalist.

GenV Vipers are everything a Viper ever wanted to be, amazing vehicle. If you drove one and put it through itā€™s paces youā€™d understand how perfect a car Ralph Gillis has rendered.

Iā€™d like to own a 991.2 GT3 Touring one day... so my next expensive purchase would definitely be that.

I like balance and love NA more than forced induction these days. Both my favorite traits (naturally aspirated and manual) of a sports car are becoming a thing of the past these days.
Speaking of manuals
https://www.motor1.com/news/264364/mustang-gt500-no-manual-transmission/
tumblr_na4dzjlJo51sqxffpo2_500.gif

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Similar reports came out before the Gt350 was unveiled as well.. no manual and it was all auto only. Now we know the opposite is true.

Ford, unlike Toyota wonā€™t discount its core buyer.. regardless of the what the take rate of auto vs manual is. Maybe this time theyā€™ll also offer a slush box and cater to the guy that doesnā€™t enjoy driving.
but you gotta remember that there is new management

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
but you gotta remember that there is new management
Yeah.. but look at the 100% take rate of manuals for the Shelby.. they sell like hot cakes even after being the market for 4 model years. Average transaction price of 60k plus.. and the Rs going well into the 70s.

When Toyota says manuals are not preferred it seems silly, dumb and ignorant. Couple that with not having their own motor seems like a double whammy.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Good points and I agree with you. Toyota went toe to toe with every segment with the domestics and other jap companies but just dropped out of fun stuff. Hey.. you pay for your mistakes and trying an easy way out by borrowing stuff will only lead to the following.

Fast forward to mid 2019.. Toyota will have two sports cars to sell.. none of which have a Toyota heart. Just imagine the market perception of that.. Toyota couldnā€™t make a fun car so they out sourced them.
Akio wants fun, sports cars in the lineup. He is Toyota's master driver for understanding how a car should feel. I just imagine Toyota can't handle the cost of R&D like Lexus can thanks to the people in ownership. I think A70 said people who worked on the supra and mr2 moved to the Lexus Branch, where all the in house shit is being made. Lexus seems to also be vultures to get the best tech and new engineering over Toyota so the cheaper brand gets the scraps.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
Yeah.. but look at the 100% take rate of manuals for the Shelby.. they sell like hot cakes even after being the market for 4 model years. Average transaction price of 60k plus.. and the Rs going well into the 70s.

When Toyota says manuals are not preferred it seems silly, dumb and ignorant. Couple that with not having their own motor seems like a double whammy.
Toyota does not need to replicate the business plans of inferior companies.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Toyota does not need to replicate the business plans of inferior companies.
Lol. Even an inferior company knows to deliver fun.. Toyota goes begging to another inferior company to provide its fanboys with sports car. So I guess going by your logic.. this Supra is produced by an inferior company and you are happy with that?

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
Lol. Even an inferior company knows to deliver fun.. Toyota goes begging to another inferior company to provide its fanboys with sports car. So I guess going by your logic.. this Supra is produced by an inferior company and you are happy with that?
Ya I'm happy that it's coming if that's what you're really asking. Gonna reserve my judgement on the quality of the product until it's been released to the public. Toyota is gearing up to bring their regular line up of vehicles to date with current standards. They're preparing to upgrade their trucks and other established vehicles. The fact that they're even providing us with a sports car of this caliber on the side is a gift in and of itself. Where is the logic in building an in house i6 for one vehicle that'll sell maybe 10000 units? They're not going to use the engine in any other car. Of course they had to collaborate.

Last edited:

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ya I'm happy that it's coming if that's what you're really asking. Gonna reserve my judgement on the quality of the product until it's been released to the public. Toyota is gearing up to bring their regular line up of vehicles to date with current standards. They're preparing to upgrade their trucks and other established vehicles. The fact that they're even providing us with a sports car of this caliber on the side is a gift in and of itself. Where is the logic in building an in house i6 for one vehicle that'll sell maybe 10000 units? They're not going to use the engine in any other car. Of course they had to caliberate.
90% of the folks here would take any in house Toyota built motor over a BMW in-line 6. Iā€™m sure you would too..

Toyota is way wayyyyy behind on upgrading its body on frame trucks and no refresh till at least 2021 at this point.

JP_Supra

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV

I agree, feels like an excuse imo.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
90% of the folks here would take any in house Toyota built motor over a BMW in-line 6. Iā€™m sure you would too..

Toyota is way wayyyyy behind on upgrading its body on frame trucks and no refresh till at least 2021 at this point.
At this point I can't say that Toyota hasn't worked it's magic on the engine. I'll wait for the reviews.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
At this point I can't say that Toyota hasn't worked it's magic on the engine. I'll wait for the reviews.
What magic? Like the torque dip in the BRZ/FRS? Not every product is about making money.. Toyota also makes a century that shares nothing with any other product in the line up. Why didnā€™t they go beg Rolls Royce to help them build one and use their V12? Same goes to when you are talking about a halo sports car.. itā€™s about what Toyota as a company can do.. not what it can borrow and tweak.
Sponsored