Will a Catless Downpipe void my warranty?

dayschasingcars

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Absolute Zero White Supra 3.0
I have a 2021 3.0 Supra and I purchased an evolution racewerks catless downpipe that i haven’t installed yet.

I have a few questions that would help me out a lot
-Will it void my warranty?
-If yes, is it detectable if i put the stock one in before bringing it in?
-Will the CEL go away if i put the stock DP back on?
-Is catless fine to run with no tune?
Sponsored

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I have a 2021 3.0 Supra and I purchased an evolution racewerks catless downpipe that i haven’t installed yet.

I have a few questions that would help me out a lot
-Will it void my warranty?
-If yes, is it detectable if i put the stock one in before bringing it in?
-Will the CEL go away if i put the stock DP back on?
-Is catless fine to run with no tune?
-yes, for parts influenced by the downpipe, in this case anything drivetrain related.
-yes, if the CEL isn't cleared and a decent mechanic can tell by tool marks on the bolts that they've been removed and reinstalled. If your whole exhaust is dirty, but the downpipe is nice and clean... dead giveaway.
-yes, after a few key cycles and a certain amount of miles driven. Like 30-50 the computer will see everything is back to normal and turn off the light, BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN THE CODE IS GONE. it could still be stored in the system.
-depends on the car. I think with the Supra it's ok.

Last edited:

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
In and of itself, a cat less downpipe shouldn’t result in a denial of service claim made under your warranty unless whatever the claim is for can reasonably be attributed to the downpipe. I’m sure others will chime in, but there is some wiggle room around “reasonably.” There is also variability around how different factory reps will make the decision as to whether or not the repair will be covered.

I have a dealership I trust and won’t hesitate to get a catted downpipe replacement. I understand I assume a reasonable liability for that decision and my dealership knows me well enough that I’ll push back on any unreasonable denial of service. Sometimes they need the consumer to help them in that way. I’d not expect Toyota to cover a claim that resulted from any mod I made that shouldn’t be covered. I will say, however, the dealership and Toyota did cover something for me that they clearly didn’t have to on one occasion. So, talk of brown-shirted service reps, in my experience, are at least a little bit over represented in the various online forums.

caveat emptor.

MCSeverino

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited

Nocturnal LE

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
It should not void any part of your warranty, but a dealership may void it anyway. As Mark said above, it is probably not worth the fight once it has been denied, even if you are in the right.

If you are concerned about it, I would recommend going in and talking with the service manager at several nearby dealerships. Discuss what you plan to do, and ask if they foresee any warranty claims being denied as a result. If so, what type? If you bought it new, maybe ask your sales rep to assist you with this process at your purchasing dealership.

This way you can get a feel for which dealership would be the best to deal with. Maybe you'll get lucky and find one that is very mod friendly and tells you to go for it. You can easily record the conversation on your phone too. Not sure of the legality of that, probably varies by state, but at least you can reference it yourself

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
You can easily record the conversation on your phone too. Not sure of the legality of that, probably varies by state, but at least you can reference it yourself
I think California is a two party consent state.

MCSeverino

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited
Secretly recording (legally) an in-person conversation or interaction and having it be admissible in court are usually two different things. Recording a phone conversation or other electronic communication without consent is another animal all together.

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
The dealer might refuse to do a job under warranty if your aftermarket part caused the damage. An aftermarket downpipe does not add any pressure to other stock components, in fact, it does the complete opposite by reducing restrictions on your turbo.

The downpipe is a safe aftermarket mod when it comes to warranty

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
The dealer might refuse to do a job under warranty if your aftermarket part caused the damage. An aftermarket downpipe does not add any pressure to other stock components, in fact, it does the complete opposite by reducing restrictions on your turbo.

The downpipe is a safe aftermarket mod when it comes to warranty
Downpipe with a tune would be a different story I would imagine. I bought a catless DP from you guys but I have yet to install it, waiting until the weather gets better since I'll be sending my ECU out and I own two very impractical vehicles.
Sponsored