Is it worth risking putting a downpipe on my Supra and losing my warranty?

WhiteNissan300zx

First Name
SC
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1991 300zx Twin Turbo, 2021 Toyota Supra 3.0
I have a 2021 GR Supra 3.0 and want a catless downpipe just for sound, I don’t plan on tuning the car for a few years. But the stock exhaust is very quiet and want to up grade it. I talked to a dealership and the tech said if I put a DP he’ll void it, meanwhile Toyota of America said they have to prove it was the issue of the engine issues. I know a downpipe won’t cause much issue but I had a WRX that motor spun a bearing out of warranty and lose over 10k from that so I’m very cautious. Any advice is welcome thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
WhiteNissan300zx

WhiteNissan300zx

First Name
SC
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1991 300zx Twin Turbo, 2021 Toyota Supra 3.0
If you’re just after the sound, then why get a downpipe instead of a catback? A catback will do more for sound and won’t raise any flags when it comes to warranty coverage.
Well a catless DP is about $400 and a catback is averaging about $1800 and I don’t see the value in a catback to be honest. That why I wanted a DP + I like the stock catback look

hamchin

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, A3 Audi,
Well a catless DP is about $400 and a catback is averaging about $1800 and I don’t see the value in a catback to be honest. That why I wanted a DP + I like the stock catback look
in that case, look at it this way, 1800-400 = 1400$, something happens to your engine and you either are covered by warranty or you pay out of pocket probably more than 1400$.

Tbh, I don't see the point of a DP if sound is all you are going for if you are still covered by warranty

Uwatm8

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura RDX, CLS63 AMG
As stated above, get a cat back for piece of mind.

catless DP will at minimum get you flagged, and warranty denial is a very real possibility incase anything crazy happens to the drivetrain

3TMagnetMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
Just play car exhaust sounds in Apple Car play and crank it up. You can be a V8 one day or a Honda 4 banger the next. How I look at it if you are worried about warranty then do not mod. If you dont care about the warranty and have to money to repair your car then by all means do what you want.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
If you think an exhaust is expensive, wait till you have to replace the engine or salvage it out and pay your bank the difference.

YellowJackit

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 MINI Clubman, 2023 BM X3, 2022 GR Supra
Sounds like you answered your own question with the thread title.....but...here you go.

https://extremeonlinestore.com/products/2020-up-toyota-supra-a90-a91-dual-cat-back-exhaust

It's not really a good practice to ask a tech questions about what would void your warranty. Find another service department ASAP....

A90_Rin

First Name
Josch
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Why don't you spend the extra money and get a catted downpipe? No CEL, good sound and my toyota service department has no issues since it's working like normal with good emissions. I'm running just an AA downpipe with a stock exhaust & stock intake and it sounds amazing

A90_Rin

First Name
Josch
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Here's a clip of my car with just the AA downpipe.

Avarela99

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0
They can’t void your warranty for a downpipe only unless they can prove that the downpipe caused failure plain and simple.

With that being said supra stock exhaust with a catless downpipe sounds like a ricer tin can IMO. If you are concerned about warranty and just want sound get a cat back. I usually recommend AWE touring or valvetronic designs.

_Sp1ral0ut

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tahoe, Razor E100
I'll put it this way: When I sat in the dealership talking with the guy doing all the paperwork he asked if I wanted any additional warranty. I giggled and said "I am going to void the warranty as soon as I get home." It's coming up on two years now and I still have butterflies of excitement when I drop into driver's seat.