Will Supra Go In The Snow?

Raffi

First Name
Viken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium Edition, 1989 Supra Turbo Conversion
let you know after this weekend. i tested it some in November ant it was at least ok. now that i can shut off traction control when neede i expect it will be good. i use Continental bExtreme Contact Mud And Snow. Blizzaks would probably be a touch better but not as good for wet or dry roads
Sponsored

zamiel

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1991 MR2 Turbo, 2018 Honda Civic Sport, 2020 Supra
let you know after this weekend. i tested it some in November ant it was at least ok. now that i can shut off traction control when neede i expect it will be good. i use Continental bExtreme Contact Mud And Snow. Blizzaks would probably be a touch better but not as good for wet or dry roads
Cool. Thanks. What size snows do you have and what are you using for wheels/tpms? I picked up set of used Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II Run Flat tires in 255/35-19, but still need to get wheels to mount them on. At this rate it probably won't happen until next year when there's a larger wheel selection for the Supra.

Raffi

First Name
Viken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
i used to run narrow tires on the mkiii for snow, because the stock rims weren't that wide and it seemed that narrower tires penetrate better. Then I tried snow tires on wider rims and it was still fine, so for the mk5 I just use stock rims and tire sizes for the snow tires. On packed snow and textured ice they seemed to work well. I expect the bigger issue will be clearance with fresh snow.

good snow tires are ok

Raffi

First Name
Viken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
4" very heavy wet snow today. The MK V made it up our notorious steep long hill with the good winter radials. it was fine in traction mode or with vsc off. It drives like any rwd in snow: better than fwd climbing or accelerating, brakes fine, and the traction mode helps keep it stable. You need basic rwd handling skills when you use the gas, but traction mode makes it more forgiving than vsc off. The clearance is the main limitation. if you have clearance it does perfectly fine.

Raffi

First Name
Viken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
yes, traction control in normal mode cuts all power. you dont move on a slick surface.

Just tried it. It starts in first gear in sport mode regardless of traction control setting. It also holds on to first gear longer than i expected. It almost always starts from a stop with second gear with sport mode off on a snowy road.

Supriast

First Name
Rainer
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GR Supra 3,0 L Premium 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I had a special winter training with my Supra on a special winter ice track (in Austria, see www.winterfahrtraining.at ).

You can see the maps of the tracks at https://www.winterfahrtraining.at/winterfahrtraining-streckenplaene.html.

I drove on an ice layer of about 40cm thickness, like on a lake, but a bit more uneven.

The Supra is a very good-natured. The control results of course in rear break-aways upon short acceleration shocks, but this is the desired behavior to determine the direction of the car or to start drifting.

I am now a Drifto-Kingo (Japanese spoken for drift king). I had so much fun and learned a lot.

Most important thing lies in switching off all electronic aids including ESP and other security features. Fortunately, the Supra allows such "own" control (long press on security button, short press on ESP button, switch to Sport mode and go).

Will be there next week again. My daughter will drive the Supra then. I take another car.

I took no photos, too much engaged. But, please enjoy . It is one of the official ads. Reini Sampl was our instructor.

Last edited:

Raffi

First Name
Viken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for the report and config tips. my experience is similar, it is just as well behaved on ice as it is on dry roads.

DaBritish

First Name
Cruz
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Accord 2.0T and 2020 Supra 3.0 Prem
Ordered my winter tires as well. Will be going on the car on the 14th of december
  • Continental Wintercontact TS860 S
Same size as the OEM tires
Question, I found these tires on Tirerack, but they are telling me that they won't fit / are not available for the Supra and yet you are using the oem wheels? Where were you able to get them? Currently Tirerack and my local tires shops only have all seasons (such as continental extreme contact sport) available to fit the oem 19" wheels (3.0 Premium). Thank you so much!

JOutterbridge

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Genesis Coupe, 94 and 97 Toyota Supra
Question, I found these tires on Tirerack, but they are telling me that they won't fit / are not available for the Supra and yet you are using the oem wheels? Where were you able to get them? Currently Tirerack and my local tires shops only have all seasons (such as continental extreme contact sport) available to fit the oem 19" wheels (3.0 Premium). Thank you so much!
Try the TS830P tires. I don't think they make the ones you mentioned above in that size anymore. You don't have to get them through Tirerack if you don't want

Raffi

First Name
Viken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I use continentals on my stock rims. They were perfect for michigan winters as long as I have enough clearance, and do fine in spring and fall as well. Dedicated snow tires were only marginally better, and terrible on dry roads.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Because of dual fitment, Tire Rack isn't showing proper options. Search them individually and you do get bunch of options.
For Conti I see VikingContact 7 for the fronts, no Conti for the rear. But @Raffi is right, Conti does make 860S for front & rear. I'm also not 100% if they still do so.

Judging by below pictures, the only option if you want same brand/model from TireRack is Pirelli Winter SottoZero 3, which I have 0 experience with.

screencapture-tirerack-tires-TireSearchResults-jsp-2020-09-29-12_36_23.png

screencapture-tirerack-tires-TireSearchResults-jsp-2020-09-29-12_35_24.png

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Don't waste your money on winter "performance" tires. You're not racing in the snow are you?? Just buy regular Blizzaks, WS-80 or even 90 now, can't remember, and you'll go through anything absolutely fine. I would go a little narrower than stock, and throw a couple bags of kitty litter in the trunk, and keep fuel levels above half.
Sponsored