Winter Storage - Battery Question

kevenv

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 MT
I will be parking my Supra for the winter, It will be in heated storage. Unfortunately I will not have access to a plug in for a battery tender. Do i have to go start it every two weeks or so to maintain the battery or can I disconnect the battery? If i disconnect will one of those small 9v powered dongles maintain the car settings? Or do I have to worry at all? Thanks.
Sponsored

RRF985

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 BMW M550i, 2020 Supra Premium, 2015 991.1
If you’re not going to drive it all winter I’d disconnect it.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
If you plan to start the car during winter, best you drive it for 10miles or so to rid condensation out of your exhaust system and boil away any moisture in the motor oil.

I'm not sure what effects the car has unplugged long term. I've unplugged it for a few hours when I did the 3D Design paddles on my GR long time ago.. no issue.

Honestly if it was me, I would consider getting a secondary deep cycle battery and run a converter and standard battery manager.. and just keep an eye on the deep cycle voltage, bring it home, recharge when needed. well, if it really was me, my cars are always plugged into the battery manager while not in use. I never start my hobby cars while in hibernation (late September to April).

btw, I hope you're not parking in some barn or storage where rats and mice eat away at your soy bean wire jackets. :crazy:

OP
OP

kevenv

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 MT
If you plan to start the car during winter, best you drive it for 10miles or so to rid condensation out of your exhaust system and boil away any moisture in the motor oil.

I'm not sure what effects the car has unplugged long term. I've unplugged it for a few hours when I did the 3D Design paddles on my GR long time ago.. no issue.

Honestly if it was me, I would consider getting a secondary deep cycle battery and run a converter and standard battery manager.. and just keep an eye on the deep cycle voltage, bring it home, recharge when needed. well, if it really was me, my cars are always plugged into the battery manager while not in use. I never start my hobby cars while in hibernation (late September to April).

btw, I hope you're not parking in some barn or storage where rats and mice eat away at your soy bean wire jackets. :crazy:
Thanks for the info. The car is parked in an underground heated parkade. Unfortunately where my 2 spots are, there are no outlets nearby.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Just running the vehicle without load does nothing for the battery..
If it wasn't BMW and AGM battery, I'd tell you to disconnect, but I don't know the repercussions..
Do the other winter stuff as well. Jacks, tire pressure, fuel, etc..
Sponsored