KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
The dealership said they buy it for apx 1500.00. They offered it to me for 2k. Toyota corporate gave it to me for free. Platinum plus
Sponsored

OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
So the car is back in service and i told toyota that i want them to buy the car back. When leaving my house to bring the car to the service center the rear view camera started twitching left and right. Also the passenger side visor light wasnt working. I do realize if the visor is open to far it wont turn on so that wasnt it. After waiting a few minutes the light started working.
Honestly i believe there is some short somewhere in this car thats causing all these issues (besides the paint having clear coat spots) and im not willing to wait for them to tear it all apart to find the problem anymore. They possibly already damaged one of the side molding pieces but i cant 100 percent confirm that.
I was so excited when i got the car and now that feeling has been ripped from me. I know it sounds like im complaining but all this shit is really happening. I had all these plans for the car to be tuned but hell no i wont tune this car because i will never know if its 100 percent. Hopefully they take it back and ill wait a few years to buy a newer year model. Hope this didn't ruin my sport car experience forever lol. Rant over.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I wouldn't let it ruin your experience forever... but it is a sports car - so there's more potential for problems. Add to that it's a first year model, and German built.... and there's a definite risk there.

Part of what makes a sports car fun, is also what makes them less reliable - get a Corolla and you'll likely have 300-400K of completely event-free driving. Also guaranteed to be completely lifeless driving IMO. ;) They're also proportional it seems... the more fun it is, the more likely something eventually will go POP. Get a Ferrari or GT3RS and you'd find out that even spending 5 times as much money only gets you a little more fun... but even less reliability.

However, in your case it seems it's really a freak manufacturing problem that is either isolated to your specific car, or a small number of them (* likely produced at the same time) - in which case they'll eventually do a recall I'm sure. I'd definitely try to do a Lemon Law return, but if I were you... I'd just get another Supra. Since the problem seems to only affect a very few cars (most of us haven't had such a problem) - the odds of getting another one that's bad is very, very small. Plus then you can simply have Toyota transfer all your cosmetic upgrades over to the new one.

OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
My last 3 fun cars were srt8's dodges and never had any issues the short time I owned them. I was hoping to own this for the next 10 plus years. As for getting a newer supra i doubt they would get me into a 2021 red at what i paid for my 20. @digicidal

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I understand completely. I will be seriously amazed if I get more than 3-4 years out of mine before it needs a major rebuild. But that's based mostly on the BMW underpinnings and the fact that I daily mine so it will be at 50K or so by then. I haven't had the problems you're having in this car... but I had a ton on my 350Z... after many months of pain (nearly a year of fighting with Nissan USA) and 13 weeks of shop time, I finally got the whole drivetrain replaced under warranty - and promptly sold it.

In light of that experience, the first 10K miles on my Supra have been perfection - just dealer mishaps with oil filters not being in stock and them damaging my paint registering the battery (sigh). I still expect everything to start leaking in another 30K miles though... but BMWs seem to be bulletproof after that first rebuild. :p Good luck regardless.

OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah this car was suppose to be a weekend car only. 2-2.5k miles a year at most. @digicidal did you tune yours?

Snorlax27

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 1995 E36 M3
Yeah this car was suppose to be a weekend car only. 2-2.5k miles a year at most. @digicidal did you tune yours?
Dude Iā€™m so sorry to hear about your car problems. Itā€™s frustrating as hell to buy something brand new and run into so many issues.

Iā€™ve owned older BMWs before, but nothing as electronic or sophisticated as the Supra. Iā€™m assuming the issue is mostly electronic. There must be some sort of throttle sensor that went out, or as you mentioned earlier, a larger short thatā€™s going on.

Definitely let us know what the resolution to all of this is. Iā€™m curious to know what the dealership does for you because swapping parts in and out at this point to try and figure out the problem is a major headache

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not yet... honestly since I don't track it I've never felt it was underpowered with the stock tune. Once I've got a full year and 15K or so on it (presuming no problems) then I'll do a DP, exhaust, and a mild tune though (~400/450). Thinking I might have to try out the 400Z when it arrives since it is going to come with 3 pedals like a car should. ;) So that might relieve the urge to tune a bit longer (but I'll be keeping my MKV regardless of course).

I do love this car... but I'm sure I'd love it much less if I'd had your experience so far.

a90moe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
OP it's definitely a lemon.. Happens to all types of cars

Just get a replacement.. Its a beautiful car to enjoy

Many are problem free and no known issues with the car

Jamorrg2

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Edition
I'm having the same issue with the no revs on startup from time to time. Not every start, but at least once a week right now. Also, my navigation just went out on me. Shows me in the wrong location nowhere near my actual location which affects the speed limit indicator under the speedometer. Is there a way to manually reset your location? Or is this another trip to the dealership for my brand new Toyota?

OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah and donā€™t get red or black next time. Hard to keep up with especially the paint lol
Idk man i love that red color. Just need one with no flaws from factory.

OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
I'm having the same issue with the no revs on startup from time to time. Not every start, but at least once a week right now. Also, my navigation just went out on me. Shows me in the wrong location nowhere near my actual location which affects the speed limit indicator under the speedometer. Is there a way to manually reset your location? Or is this another trip to the dealership for my brand new Toyota?
I would goto the dealer to document everything. If you have plans on tuning the car make sure they dont update your ecu. As for the gps signal going bad i have no clue. Wonder if the gps atenna is loose or something. I assume you have a 2021?

Jamorrg2

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Edition
I would goto the dealer to document everything. If you have plans on tuning the car make sure they dont update your ecu. As for the gps signal going bad i have no clue. Wonder if the gps atenna is loose or something. I assume you have a 2021?
Yea its a 2021, not sure if I have the locked ECU or not. I've had more issues in the first month with this car than I had in 6 years with my Genesis.
Sponsored