Wouldnt Rev after starting

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
OP, hope it works out for you. I was hoping BMW "reliability" would not rub off on the Toyota half of the family. It is the only thing about the Supra I have any hesitation about.
Sponsored

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
I wouldn't let it ruin your experience forever... but it is a sports car - so there's more potential for problems. Add to that it's a first year model, and German built.... and there's a definite risk there.

Part of what makes a sports car fun, is also what makes them less reliable - get a Corolla and you'll likely have 300-400K of completely event-free driving. Also guaranteed to be completely lifeless driving IMO. ;) They're also proportional it seems... the more fun it is, the more likely something eventually will go POP. Get a Ferrari or GT3RS and you'd find out that even spending 5 times as much money only gets you a little more fun... but even less reliability.

However, in your case it seems it's really a freak manufacturing problem that is either isolated to your specific car, or a small number of them (* likely produced at the same time) - in which case they'll eventually do a recall I'm sure. I'd definitely try to do a Lemon Law return, but if I were you... I'd just get another Supra. Since the problem seems to only affect a very few cars (most of us haven't had such a problem) - the odds of getting another one that's bad is very, very small. Plus then you can simply have Toyota transfer all your cosmetic upgrades over to the new one.
I guess "fun" is subjective..

Honestly, Porsche makes a very reliable car. I am not talking about all of the models with IMS issues. Modern ones after 2009 anyway.

Ferrari is confident enough to offer a 3 year unlimited mile warranty. Just don't get hit in the ass by the service cost and depreciation from driving it. lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
OP, hope it works out for you. I was hoping BMW "reliability" would not rub off on the Toyota half of the family. It is the only thing about the Supra I have any hesitation about.
I hope so to. I am really sad because i do love everything about the car and what ive done to it. I made it my own, anyways if they take it back ill be back in one maybe the last model year or sooner if they work out all the kinks.

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
TBH I don't think any kinks will be worked out of this car over time. Mostly everything in the Supra is pre-existing hardware from the BMW lineup. From the engine, drivetrain, electronics, etc. Even though the 2020 was a first model year, there wasn't really anything "new". When I was looking at the BRZ, I waited 2 years before I got one, because that was a whole new platform with a new engine.

I feel these issues are part of the "BMW" side of these car. The newer models will get updates, but I doubt it'll be anymore reliable. I'm wondering if you guys have battery issues. Apparently the batteries in BMWs can cause a lot of electronic issues that are hard to diagnose.

OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
Its possible. I just hoped toyota tuned it all out but I guess they didnt.

OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
I'm having the same issue with the no revs on startup from time to time. Not every start, but at least once a week right now. Also, my navigation just went out on me. Shows me in the wrong location nowhere near my actual location which affects the speed limit indicator under the speedometer. Is there a way to manually reset your location? Or is this another trip to the dealership for my brand new Toyota?
Any updates on your 2021 model? Still having same problem like mine? Dealer check it out yet?

Jamorrg2

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Edition
Any updates on your 2021 model? Still having same problem like mine? Dealer check it out yet?
Not yet, will be going in for an oil change soon. Will have them check it out and see what they say about it. Will update on here once I get word from them what their diagnosis is.

OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
Updated:

Toyota will be offering me a buyback. Unsure for how much atm. Waiting to hear from the rep. The service department was able to reproduce the problems again and found a new glitch (screen was twitching just like it did when i put the car in reverse the backup display camera was twitching).

Snorlax27

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 1995 E36 M3
Updated:

Toyota will be offering me a buyback. Unsure for how much atm. Waiting to hear from the rep. The service department was able to reproduce the problems again and found a new glitch (screen was twitching just like it did when i put the car in reverse the backup display camera was twitching).
I wouldn’t accept a buy back unless it was for the entire purchase price of the vehicle. That would be the best option at this point. The entirety of the purchase price of the vehicle and any interest paid thus far would be a total win.

If they can offer you a new 2021 with the same terms and purchase price of your current vehicle, I think that would also be fair. If Toyota wants customer satisfaction/ brand loyalty, that would be the best course of action for them.

Good luck and keep us posted :thumbsup:

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Just tell them to put you in a new one and keep the payments as they are.

OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
Just tell them to put you in a new one and keep the payments as they are.
I was thinking about that but only color i really like right now is red. And since the only 2 red cars ive seen have that paint issue im unsure about it atm. Also some other owners are experiencing computer glitches ect... im just not sure about the car anymore. Im thinking i might wait for the last model year before i purchase again and keep an eye on the forums to see if any other problems arise.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
Depends on State. Buy backs are usually MSRP to MSRP for a replacement car. Plus taxes, fees, plates. They usually deduct a very fair cost per mile driven. I doubt you will be charged anything considering the low miles. Check and see if your State has requirements to pay you for mods. Some States do. You will probably come out ahead because the car has depreciated.

You can buy or get a 2021 replacment or wait it out. There are a few fun rear wheel drive cars headed to market very soon. A C8 would be tempting if you are willing to wait.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
Update.

Toyota made a offer and im happy with it. Completely paid off the loan and extra for that parts i bought.
CA is a decent State for consumer laws. I think States like MI, IL. CO are among the worst.

You usually have to sign a non-disclosure too.

Good to hear everything worked out.

You taking a break from the Supra or getting back on the wagon? You probably can come out ahead if you decide to give it another chance?

OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
CA is a decent State for consumer laws. I think States like MI, IL. CO are among the worst.

You usually have to sign a non-disclosure too.

Good to hear everything worked out.

You taking a break from the Supra or getting back on the wagon? You probably can come out ahead if you decide to give it another chance?
Lucky i didn't have tk do lemon law. Toyota pretty much took care of everything. As for buying another supra, im going to wait 2 more years so i can pay cash for one and hopefully they work all the bugs out or most of them.
Sponsored