KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
I would also like to add that if my car was experiencing NORMAL behavior as you keep stating that they wouldnt of bought the car back and tried to fix the issue multiple times. @Dannyvandelft
Sponsored

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I would also like to add that if my car was experiencing NORMAL behavior as you keep stating that they wouldnt of bought the car back and tried to fix the issue multiple times. @Dannyvandelft
Yeah yours had different issues too though in the head unit and such right?

pr0jekt_cha0s

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I told the dealer to reorder my car to have it ready. So did you call corporate and start a conversation? If so Iā€™m going to do that tomorrow. The dealer still has the car in hopes of reproducing the issue.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I didn't say you were lol. I was just talking about people in general. You know there's plenty that rev the crap out of a cold engine.
The car is new, the ECU is learning all the time. Fuel trims, idle parameters, etc. Start the car, let it idle for 30 seconds if it's a cold start, then move. Should be just fine.
there is definitely glitchy wrong with his and the other guyā€™s Supra. I was skeptical like you but if you go watch his videos. Itā€™s definitely not normal.

OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
I told the dealer to reorder my car to have it ready. So did you call corporate and start a conversation? If so Iā€™m going to do that tomorrow. The dealer still has the car in hopes of reproducing the issue.
You have to give the dealer the chance to fix it a few times first. I guess it depends on what state you live in because here in CA if you want them to buy it back the car needs to have been in service for the same issue for at least 30 days also and attempted to fix 4 times.

OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah yours had different issues too though in the head unit and such right?
Yes but the main issue was the rev problem. Along with windshield twitch, paint and the last thing to pop up the last week i had it was the head unit twitching. But the rev problem was the main issue and thats why they bought the car back because they tried to fix it several times.

Snorlax27

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 1995 E36 M3
Iā€™d listen to @KillxPoint on this one, heā€™s had more than his fair share of issues with his Supra.

Patience is key. Document everything, including when issues started and when you attempted to get the car serviced. As frustrating as it is, give Toyota the opportunity to correct the problem. More than likely they probably wonā€™t be able to, especially if multiple issues arise. On top of that, thereā€™s usually only 1 certified Supra tech at most dealers.

If they lack the guidance from corporate and are unable to remedy the issue, they will probably do a buy back just to get the damn thing out of their service department.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
there is definitely glitchy wrong with his and the other guyā€™s Supra. I was skeptical like you but if you go watch his videos. Itā€™s definitely not normal.
It's not that I'm skeptical, but all our cars have the cold start protection from BMW. in his case, it obviously wasn't the issue since other electrical issues popped up. If they're connected, I don't know.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes but the main issue was the rev problem. Along with windshield twitch, paint and the last thing to pop up the last week i had it was the head unit twitching. But the rev problem was the main issue and thats why they bought the car back because they tried to fix it several times.
Yeah you had some serious Gremlins in that thing. I wonder if it's all connected. Almost sounds like a bad ground somewhere is messing everything up.

OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah you had some serious Gremlins in that thing. I wonder if it's all connected. Almost sounds like a bad ground somewhere is messing everything up.
Other people have the supra without the rev protection on cold starts. Explain that?
I would have loved if it had that feature then i could have said it war normal.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Other people have the supra without the rev protection on cold starts. Explain that?
I would have loved if it had that feature then i could have said it war normal.
I couldn't tell you. Didn't engineer the thing lol. But I Googled it and it's a BMW feature. I don't know if it's outside temperature regulated or what, but it does it on mine when it's chilly out. As soon as the engine warms up just a tad, it revs like normal. And from what I read, that's how it's supposed to work.

OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
I couldn't tell you. Didn't engineer the thing lol. But I Googled it and it's a BMW feature. I don't know if it's outside temperature regulated or what, but it does it on mine when it's chilly out. As soon as the engine warms up just a tad, it revs like normal. And from what I read, that's how it's supposed to work.
Yes I know this as i spoke to a bmw tech at the beginning because toyota techs dont know much at all due to not having sufficient training on the supras. Like @snorlax said there is generally only one tech that works on the supras and the training they got was over a year ago and as my supra tech told me he has to talk to a higher up to figure most of the stuff out on these cars. As i stated before not all supra are doing it because toyota tuned this car. Its just odd why some do it and other dont. Either way toyota needs to figure this out so we can be confident in our purchase.

DB42R

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 MT Supra
OP, sorry to read this story. - maybe you should post up your VIN somewhere in case the vehicle comes up as used so people know?

Glad to hear you got a good outcome all the same

Bundy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra A90, 2021 Subaru Outback
Yes I know this as i spoke to a bmw tech at the beginning because toyota techs dont know much at all due to not having sufficient training on the supras. Like @snorlax said there is generally only one tech that works on the supras and the training they got was over a year ago and as my supra tech told me he has to talk to a higher up to figure most of the stuff out on these cars. As i stated before not all supra are doing it because toyota tuned this car. Its just odd why some do it and other dont. Either way toyota needs to figure this out so we can be confident in our purchase.
Sorry if I have missed it but do you know if they ever tried to replace the battery?
Sounds like either a bad battery or a short to me.
Could be as easy as torn/damaged insulation from a wire causing a short. The problem is finding the wire....
I had a mouse one time living in a car over the winter and that car was not happy in the spring. Turned out the mouse had been stripping the insulation off a few wires causing a short which made the car act very strange.

Foxhound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal
I purchased my brand new A91 on Saturday. Was enjoying the hell out of until Monday, when I tried to show off the car to my friends. I went to rev, and experienced the exact same issues as @KillxPoint :-( Iā€™ve since had the issue recur on at least 4 other occasions, once again happening today after the car was already warm (also in front of another set of friends lo). Iā€™ve been documenting the issue with my iPhone every time it happens.

The issue is random, but not infrequent, which is extremely concerning for a car with 300 miles on it. Also ā€” were you guys getting low mpg during the break in period? Iā€™ve been averaging 20mpg, driving around suburbia in normal mode and not revving above 4K RPM as per break in guidance. maybe Iā€™m overthinking but I could have sworn people here were getting much better figures? EPA city rating is 22mpg, and Iā€™m doing worse than that in suburbia...very odd!

I called Toyota corporate Customer Care to establish a record of the issue. Iā€™m going to take it in on Saturday to get the diagnostic done and see where it goes from there.

Iā€™m bummed out to say the least and I must admit it makes it much harder for me to bond with my beautiful A91, knowing that it has this unacceptable flaw. The car is sooo good and is everything I want...so I hope Toyota comes through.
Sponsored