Wouldnt Rev after starting

piper1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'03 e85 Z4
That’s a great way to describe how it feels!

It happened again today for me, was parked for a few minutes after a nice 30 mile run, engine was nice and warm. Went to pull out, and basically no power, felt like someone stuck potatoes in my exhaust. Power kicked in after 4 seconds and it the car ran normally afterwards. Has happened about a dozen times so far.

I honestly hope a recall on the Supra is on the way...completely unacceptable from Toyota.

Once I get a chance I’ll upload my ECU specs.
I was almost going to ask if it felt like the "Banana in the tailpipe" like it's being choked off. Has anyone looked into the exhaust system yet, sensors and all, from what I've read here on warm up valves in the exhaust only run to one side of the pipes not both correct?

I'm wondering if there's something in the emissions monitoring that's gone wrong, maybe a sensor that's shorted or near a hot section to melt or go array something maybe watching for cats to warm up? Is there anyone with full aftermarket exhaust having the same issue or is it all stock? Since I won't be pulling the trigger on one just yet I don't have one first hand to look at but some guesses that I've been coming up with as I've watched the thread. On the E85 for the US market there's a secondary air pump that helps warm the cats to temp for emissions, those sound like turbines when they go but are a wearable item on E85 Z4s and the valves also that correlates with them, so it's gotten me wondering since a full ecu swap didn't help if it's something causing the exhaust to choke.
Sponsored

JDG520

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
2021 A91 w 300 miles. I’ve had this happen twice. Both times trying to show the car off to someone. Once the day after I got it, car was warm and had just parked it 5 mins prior. Second time today car had been parked for an hour and it’s only 36° outside, started and let it idle to operating temp before I attempted to rev it. So if there is cold protection I’d assume that’s why. Ugh I hope this isn’t an issue.

Going to start recording start ups and see what the deal is.

I’ve now read in here some people think it has cold start protection and others say no. So I don’t know what to think.

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
This seems to happen when people rev the engine when not under load. The lesson I'm learning from reading this thread is, don't rev the engine when not under load.

Last edited:

JDG520

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
This seems to happen when people rev the engine while in park. The lesson I'm learning from reading this thread is, don't rev the engine when not under load.
While I’d agree w that I’ve done that in the past with no issues whatsoever. So why does it work sometimes and not others. It’s either an issue or it’s not. Protection feature or issue? Which is it?
That fact Toyota bought someone’s car back for this issue says it potentially is one. His car did also have other electrical issues as well. However, I like many others in here would like to know our brand new cars don’t have a problem.

Mark322

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
I have 2021 A90 with 360 miles that has the same problem from cold start. I have now seen it on three start-ups. Car is in hibernation so i do not want to do anything right now. This appears to be the same issue for quite a few cars so would like to see that either someone finds out the root cause or there is an update from Toyota to fix this. I will not take it to the dealer as they have no clue how to diagnose problems and especially one that like this that doesn't throw any codes.

Just preying there is a solution soon and i can inform my local dealer how to fix it !

JDG520

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
I have 2021 A90 with 360 miles that has the same problem from cold start. I have now seen it on three start-ups. Car is in hibernation so i do not want to do anything right now. This appears to be the same issue for quite a few cars so would like to see that either someone finds out the root cause or there is an update from Toyota to fix this. I will not take it to the dealer as they have no clue how to diagnose problems and especially one that like this that doesn't throw any codes.

Just preying there is a solution soon and i can inform my local dealer how to fix it !
I just wonder if it ambient temp dependent or what. I just went out and it’s 48° out now, started the car and it was cold from sitting. No issue whatsoever. I don’t get it.

Retrocade

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
well Ill add to the pile. just got my 2021 supra 3.0 premium and yup started it exhaust only came out one tailpipe and when you try to rev it just as zero power and cant rev it. so since so many have the "issue" maybe this is a normal starting protection of some sort. But who knows trying to read that manual is like trying to read a bible. man I cant follow it LOL

SVR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91
I have the same problem, 2021 A91 with only 70 miles

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
exhaust only came out one tailpipe
This is 100% normal. The left-side exhaust contains a solenoid-activated flap, and the left-side exhaust only opens in certain conditions (sport mode). Normal startup will only have exhaust emission from the right-side tailpipe.

Retrocade

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
How many times do people have to say, "it's NORMAL. It's a BMW feature"

Read the manual.
awesome cool thanks for sharing that. now so why is that? i mean why the start up like that? and also wonder why dealship didn't know and according to op Toyota didn't know cause they apparently oked a new ecu.

IM new to the car go gentle with your reply :)

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
awesome cool thanks for sharing that. now so why is that? i mean why the start up like that? and also wonder why dealship didn't know and according to op Toyota didn't know cause they apparently oked a new ecu.

IM new to the car go gentle with your reply :)
Just to make sure the engine doesn't get damaged from rev happy people lol.
Dealers are 99% clueless across the board.
OP had other issues with the car.

JDG520

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
How many times do people have to say, "it's NORMAL. It's a BMW feature"

Read the manual.
It’d be one thing if it was 30 secs, but if YOU read what people are saying it’s after the car was idling for several mins.
Look if it’s normal it’s normal. I’m fine w that. But the manual explanation doesn’t fit what’s happening. Nobody is starting the car and trying to redline it (at least im not lol) Starting the car letting it idle to temp and it still won’t rev? That’s not weird to you? It’s a bmw thing?

Sounds like a whole lot of assumption from everybody, I just wish we could figure out some clarification.
Sponsored