XHP - Per gear torque limiting

Ghosty_Aus

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 Supra GTS
I have seen that the per gear torque limiting feature is part of the options I have with my XHP stage 3 license and with the recent release of MHD's plus features I want to make sure I am protecting the gearbox as much as I can while having some fun.

The car has a downpipe, intake, chargepipe, exhaust, flex fuel analyser and is currently running E45.
The questions I have are:

Has anyone or their tuner done this?
Are there recommended figures per gear available in nm?
I have heard that 6th gear is the most at risk gear is this true or myth?
Sponsored

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Do the torque limiting in the DME tune, not XHP. It'll work far better at accomplishing what you want.

6th is the weak gear. It's why it's advisable to stay under 600lb-ft/800Nm. Any tuner worth their salt has already done this for you. If you're still blowing the tires off, get better tires or talk to the tuner about adjusting boost by gear.

OP
OP

Ghosty_Aus

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 Supra GTS
Do the torque limiting in the DME tune, not XHP. It'll work far better at accomplishing what you want.

6th is the weak gear. It's why it's advisable to stay under 600lb-ft/800Nm. Any tuner worth their salt has already done this for you. If you're still blowing the tires off, get better tires or talk to the tuner about adjusting boost by gear.

Thank you for the response,

Tyres are good (fresh 295 PS4S), although will probably need fatter if I keep going.
I was of the impression that it was better to have the TCU handle the torque limiting rather than the DME as it is the controller for the transmission, this is why I posted the question to get answers from yourselves.
Car is due to go to the tuner when I put my Pure 800 on in a couple of months so I will work with them for per gear boost and torque limiting.

SavagePassenger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 WRX
I haven't tried using that yet personally. I would advise turning on the Activate Line pressure Bump feature though if you haven't already - it will help the clutches cope when you're making higher torque than stock.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I haven't tried using that yet personally. I would advise turning on the Activate Line pressure Bump feature though if you haven't already - it will help the clutches cope when you're making higher torque than stock.
This is not needed unless you're past the ~800Nm holding power of 6th gear and you're trying to squeeze a little more power out of the gear before it lets go and free spins. This option is not needed unless you're already burning up that clutch pack.

It is unfortunate that 6th is weak because it's the 1:1 gear ratio in the transmission and is best for putting down power.

stormgreysupra

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oemplusmods.com
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra A90 Edition
This is not needed unless you're past the ~800Nm holding power of 6th gear and you're trying to squeeze a little more power out of the gear before it lets go and free spins. This option is not needed unless you're already burning up that clutch pack.

It is unfortunate that 6th is weak because it's the 1:1 gear ratio in the transmission and is best for putting down power.
Does the active line pressure bump preserve the transmission better at the higher power levels? I read somewhere it's really only needed when your clutch I already starting to slip and then it might help some.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Does the active line pressure bump preserve the transmission better at the higher power levels? I read somewhere it's really only needed when your clutch I already starting to slip and then it might help some.
That's exactly it (bolded).

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
Most tunes if they know what they are doing already have the TCM torque limits request bypassed on the ecu, so in most cases the using XHP to limit torque on that typ of tune wouldn't really work.

Regardless as stated, torque control should almost always be done on the ECU side.
Sponsored