ZF Transmission Question

Wackit

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0
Back in April of 2021 I posted a question here on how to get my car with an ZF auto. into neutral without starting it. People here were nice enough to give me the shocking answers of jacking up the car and performing different steps of disassembly to get to bolts on the transmission etc. Does anyone know why ZF designed it this way? Putting a car in neutral from the shifter seems like the most basic function since the beginning of automatic's.
Not having a basic function of shifting into neutral from inside the car brings a whole set of other issues.
Anyone know the reason? Thanks. ✌
Sponsored

sup.dc2

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5mt. DC2. T4R. e46
might be a dumb question but i don't have an auto. 3 start button press then foot on brake, then move the shift lever doesn't work?

OP
OP
Wackit

Wackit

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0
Yeah that sounds reasonable right? But this is a known issue. Go to April of 2021 thread to see all the steps that have to be performed under the car to get into neutral with engine off. It’s amazing!

Last edited:

KBGT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
https://blog.fcpeuro.com/zf-8-speed...specs-common-problems-diagnostics-maintenance

Additionally, if the vehicle's battery dies, you won’t be able to shift the transmission, and it will be stuck in park. While having every function of the transmission be operated through electrical connections saves weight and space, it eliminates any mechanical way to shift the transmission. To get around that issue, ZF included a small bolt on the bottom of the transmission. It sits on the driver’s side, and when threaded in, releases the parking pawl inside the gearbox, shifting it into neutral.

sup.dc2

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5mt. DC2. T4R. e46
i remember that thread i think, though im not surprised. Here at a Mercedes Benz shop i work at, if a newer vehicle drivetrain CAN bus is down we use a special wrench to turn the pawl mechanically. This is done after the car is in the air and the integrated shift module has been removed. We move the car's around on the lot using go-jacks. Not sure what exactly you want to be in neutral for? maybe it's time for some go-jacks? lol

Scoopra

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 premium
Be glad that it makes the car harder to steal. Chrysler made it very easy on their cars and that's why hellcats get stolen all the time.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Repo'ed cars are pulled onto flatbed while they are in park. Tow trucks have zero problem doing this.. so cars will get stolen no matter what if the guy/girl wants it bad enough.

They should've made a release for the lever like most AT cars..

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
i remember that thread i think, though im not surprised. Here at a Mercedes Benz shop i work at, if a newer vehicle drivetrain CAN bus is down we use a special wrench to turn the pawl mechanically. This is done after the car is in the air and the integrated shift module has been removed. We move the car's around on the lot using go-jacks. Not sure what exactly you want to be in neutral for? maybe it's time for some go-jacks? lol
Isn't it normal'ish for autos to have unlocks under the car? I have not had many autos, but the only other one I can think of had a release under the car also. No options for neutral other than car working and running or getting underneath it.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Isn't it normal'ish for autos to have unlocks under the car? I have not had many autos, but the only other one I can think of had a release under the car also. No options for neutral other than car working and running or getting underneath it.
I'm guessing that you're young af.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Nope, apparently just stupid I guess.
I've owned, between being a kid, family cars, etc, until recently, had actually gear selectors on autos.

1704163602666.png

Slap that bitch in neurtal and you're in neutral.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
I've owned, between being a kid, family cars, etc, until recently, had actually gear selectors on autos.

1704163602666.png

Slap that bitch in neurtal and you're in neutral.
Ahh, memories. When you didn’t even have to turn anything on in order to shift into neutral. Just had to pop the little plastic covering on the manual release right next to the shifter.
Sponsored