Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 MT, '00 4Runner SR5
Hey everybody!

I am coming up on the 1,200 mile mark, meaning my recommended break in period is almost up. I scheduled an appointment at my local Toyota dealership to get an oil change done prematurely to the recommended first service at 5,000 miles. I know that to some, this may be unnecessary but I'd rather play it safe and swap out the oil in case there are any metal particles from the initial break in floating around.

This brought up some questions I have for you all:

First, Is there anything else I should have them do/look at at this 1,200 mile service besides swap the oil?

Second, In addition to that, since the car is mostly a BMW, but since Toyota Care is free and covers 2 years, 25,000 miles, I plan to continue taking the car to Toyota dealerships in my area for the scheduled maintenance services to be done by a certified Supra tech. But after that 2 year/25,000 miles is up, do you guys still bring your Supra's to Toyota dealerships for service or do you take them to BMW dealerships? I'm assuming service/maintenance costs are cheaper at Toyota than they would be at a BMW dealership. The Toyota dealerships in my area only seem to have 1 technician each that is Supra/BMW certified and I don't want to run the risk of having a Toyota technician screwing something up because they weren't properly trained on the BMW aspects of the Supra.

Sorry in advance if this is dumb and overthinking on my part....I have just never owned a vehicle that was made by a different manufacturer and I love the Supra and just want to do everything right to take care of it.

Thanks in advance for the responses.
Sponsored

Joker328

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Red 3.0 Premium MT
I don't think the 5,000 mile service is actually an oil change. According to my dealer, it was basically just a tire rotation (I skipped it). For oil, the Supra is on a 1 yr/10,000 mile interval I believe, though I am sure most don't let it go that long. I changed mine myself at 1200 miles because I wanted to switch to 5W-30 for the track, but I may have Toyota do it in the Fall to go back to the 0W-20 for the winter.

If you are just talking about basic oil change and filters, a decent Toyota dealership should be fine. As you get later on in terms of time/miles and more significant maintenance is required, you could look at an independent shop that works on BMWs or a BMW dealership, but a BMW dealer will charge you more. I also found that the local shop that works on all kinds of Euro cars wanted nothing to do with the Supra. It's basically the ugly step-child that doesn't belong anywhere.

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
I've been taking mine to our bmw dealer for all of its oil changes. They seem to have all the care and attention to detail I'd expect.

Teleguy11

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR, 2017 Highlander Limited Platinum
My experience with my local Dealership (Clearwater Toyota) is that your initial 2 years of free maintenance covers only 2 oil changes. Doesn't matter when you have them performed, you get only 2.
I had my initial break in change at 1500 miles, and my 2nd change 1 year later. I now have 8300 miles on the clock so I change my own oil. It's super easy to do.
Just look it up on you tube.
I chose Liqui Moly oil on the advice from many folks on this forum. Amazon will deliver it to your home. I purchase the filter from Toyota parts. $18
BTW, my local BMW dealer told me they aren't allowed to work on Supras. 😔😔😔

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I don't think the 5,000 mile service is actually an oil change. According to my dealer, it was basically just a tire rotation (I skipped it). For oil, the Supra is on a 1 yr/10,000 mile interval I believe, though I am sure most don't let it go that long. I changed mine myself at 1200 miles because I wanted to switch to 5W-30 for the track, but I may have Toyota do it in the Fall to go back to the 0W-20 for the winter.

If you are just talking about basic oil change and filters, a decent Toyota dealership should be fine. As you get later on in terms of time/miles and more significant maintenance is required, you could look at an independent shop that works on BMWs or a BMW dealership, but a BMW dealer will charge you more. I also found that the local shop that works on all kinds of Euro cars wanted nothing to do with the Supra. It's basically the ugly step-child that doesn't belong anywhere.
Thank you for your reply!

Yeah that's basically how I feel regarding your ugly step-child comment haha.

It's a Toyota so I want to take it to a Toyota dealership, but it's really a BMW so I feel like I should bring it to a BMW dealership. But, I'd rather pay Toyota service prices than BMW but I also want my car well taken care of and I'm not sure how much training these certified Supra techs get on the BMW stuff. So part of me feels like it would make more sense to take it to dedicated BMW technicians who commonly work on B58's and iDrive infotainment systems and BMW's in general instead of the Toyota Supra tech who just got a few hours of BMW training and sees Supra's every once in a while.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I've been taking mine to our bmw dealer for all of its oil changes. They seem to have all the care and attention to detail I'd expect.
Thanks for your input, Andrew. Makes sense to me!

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I would not take to Toyota dealer for any service, they don't have the knowledge or b58 engine.
Jeff, that's kind of what I'm thinking. Even the Supra certified techs, how much training did they really receive and theres no way they see enough of them, especially here in Colorado where they are few and far between. I have seen 5 supra's here now in the 4 years it has been out.

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My experience with my local Dealership (Clearwater Toyota) is that your initial 2 years of free maintenance covers only 2 oil changes. Doesn't matter when you have them performed, you get only 2.
I had my initial break in change at 1500 miles, and my 2nd change 1 year later. I now have 8300 miles on the clock so I change my own oil. It's super easy to do.
Just look it up on you tube.
I chose Liqui Moly oil on the advice from many folks on this forum. Amazon will deliver it to your home. I purchase the filter from Toyota parts. $18
BTW, my local BMW dealer told me they aren't allowed to work on Supras. 😔😔😔
Jerry, I appreciate you sharing your experience with me! Interesting that your local dealership only covered 2 oil changes. According to this Toyota Care pamphlet page below, it should cover all scheduled maintenance and they have the (5) 5,000 mile intervals shown all the way up to 25,000 miles with what should be included. It doesn't say in the fine print that it is only 2 oil changes. I would challenge them on that, but that's just me.

I'm not opposed to doing my own oil changes, but since they are free through Toyota care, I figure why not. Especially since I live in an apartment building and our community garage isn't the best place to work on a car.

Interesting also that your local dealership turned away your business and stated they aren't allowed to work on Supra's. I feel like that's odd given that 90% of the car is a BMW.

The Struggle is real.

Screen Shot 2023-06-21 at 4.01.38 PM.png

STi_to_GRzupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra MT Premium, 2021 4Runner TRD Pro
That pertains mostly for other Toyota models. Just like Jerry said, you get only 2 oil changes, they don’t care when it’s done.

In your case that you don’t have a space to work on the Supra, I would you take it to the dealership.

Be careful if your Supra is lowered.

Supra 9

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra primium 3.0
Thanks for your input, Andrew. Makes sense to me!
Just find yourself a good Germany local car service center and let them handle your car or find yourself a good tune shop that will take care of your car. I'm lucky myself that there is a local tune shop that did all my service and also tuned my car.

PXL_20230613_200811417.jpg

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Jeff, that's kind of what I'm thinking. Even the Supra certified techs, how much training did they really receive and theres no way they see enough of them, especially here in Colorado where they are few and far between. I have seen 5 supra's here now in the 4 years it has been out.
I'm pretty sure it's a 1 or 2 day course my brothers coworker took.

Teleguy11

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR, 2017 Highlander Limited Platinum
Just find yourself a good Germany local car service center and let them handle your car or find yourself a good tune shop that will take care of your car. I'm lucky myself that there is a local tune shop that did all my service and also tuned my car.

PXL_20230613_200811417.jpg
That's badass!
I'm currently searching for a local shop that speaks BMW and is willing to work on a Supra. I'm in the Clearwater,Fla area....
Sponsored