Grendel-13

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 2015 BMW 435xi
Did you guys wait until 10,000 miles? I happened to go to a dealer last week to see if they really wait that long before changing oil. All he could tell me is that is what Toyota calls for. He also mentioned that only their Master Tech works on Supras.
You should really do the service at least once a year, especially if is the first service, so they can get the original oil out of it, and make sure everything else they check is ok.
Sponsored

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
Went fine for me. They wanted to rotate the tires and I looked at him like :crazy:. He hesitated and saidā€ oh yeah, not on your car.ā€œ.
I waited and it took about an hour. I also didnā€™t wait till 10k miles. Way too long in my opinion. I brought it in at 5k. The dealer didnā€™t care it wasnā€™t at 10k. He just said, ā€œ:you get two free oil changesā€. Not sure Iā€™ll go back Even though they did ok and I even checked the oil level when done and the jacking points to make sure they didnā€™t damage anything. I can do it quicker and be assured nothing was screwed up.

gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Prem., 2015 Subaru XV, 2003 MINI JCW, 1972 TR6
Vehicle Showcase
Recently, I went in for my one year service. My car had less than 1K miles (weekend driver ... lol). The Toyota maintainence plan states recommends service is at 10K miles or 12 months.

Issues to look out for:
1. make sure that the dealer has the correct oil before you go in for service. The Supra will take a bottle of each. My dealer did not have the 1L bottle, so they had to use two 5L bottles. Make sure that the service person notes the correct Oil on the service order.
PN: 08880WA010 5L TGMO SN 0W-20 C5 5L Bottle
PN: 08880WA011 1L TGMO SN 0W-20 C5 1L Bottle
2. make sure that the dealer's lift can fit under the Supra. My dealer had to drive the front tires on top of 2x4s to get enough clearance.
3. With a staggered wheel setup, you cannot rotate the tires.

Notes:
DO NOT rely on the tire pressure readings on the infotainment system, use a good tire guage. The inspection found that the rear tires were under inflated (a little more wear on the outer edge of the tire). The inflation readings on the iDrive system did not show the correct readings.

I also recommend getting your car in as early in the morning as possible, if you are waiting for your car (this will reduce your wait). Even if you have a reservation, my dealer follows a first in, first out queue.
OK, so they used what appears to be plain old synthetic in the car API SN PLUS 0W-20 Toyota part No. 00279-0WQTE-01. Should I go back and make them refill it with the GR oil? Does the oil they used meet the BMW LL01 FE spec?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grendel-13

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 2015 BMW 435xi
OK, so they used what appears too be plain old synthetic in the car API SN PLUS 0W-20 Toyota part No. 00279-0WQTE-01. Should I go back and make them refill it with the GR oil? Does the oil they used meet the BMW LL04 spec?
I don't know if that meets the spec, Toyota has a specific oil for this car, and they are supposed use that for service. If they are a good dealer they should do something about this. You may have to complain to Toyota directly. I'll have to dig out my service record to see what is listed on it.

gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know if that meets the spec, Toyota has a specific oil for this car, and they are supposed use that for service. If they are a good dealer they should do something about this. You may have to complain to Toyota directly. I'll have to dig out my service record to see what is listed on it.
The oil has the SN PLUS designation, so it is compatible with the direct injection turbo engine and its intended to prevent the low speed pre-ignition (LSPI) problem. Just cant find any data on the HTHS for this oil. The Gazoo oil part no. 08880-WA010 is a API SN C5 spec. C5 HTHS is 2.6. Not sure if C5 addresses the LSPI problem.

Attachments

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Recently, I went in for my one year service. My car had less than 1K miles (weekend driver ... lol). The Toyota maintainence plan states recommends service is at 10K miles or 12 months.

Issues to look out for:
1. make sure that the dealer has the correct oil before you go in for service. The Supra will take a bottle of each. My dealer did not have the 1L bottle, so they had to use two 5L bottles. Make sure that the service person notes the correct Oil on the service order.
PN: 08880WA010 5L TGMO SN 0W-20 C5 5L Bottle
PN: 08880WA011 1L TGMO SN 0W-20 C5 1L Bottle
2. make sure that the dealer's lift can fit under the Supra. My dealer had to drive the front tires on top of 2x4s to get enough clearance.
3. With a staggered wheel setup, you cannot rotate the tires.

Notes:
DO NOT rely on the tire pressure readings on the infotainment system, use a good tire guage. The inspection found that the rear tires were under inflated (a little more wear on the outer edge of the tire). The inflation readings on the iDrive system did not show the correct readings.

I also recommend getting your car in as early in the morning as possible, if you are waiting for your car (this will reduce your wait). Even if you have a reservation, my dealer follows a first in, first out queue.
Just to add, it needs TWO of the 1L (quart) bottles.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
I just had a BMW tech I know change my oil at the 1200 mile break in period. I'll send it to Toyota for the 1 year service save the oil change. Nothing but Amsoil (and sometimes Mobil 1 for my bike) goes into my vehicles.

gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just had a BMW tech I know change my oil at the 1200 mile break in period. I'll send it to Toyota for the 1 year service save the oil change. Nothing but Amsoil (and sometimes Mobil 1 for my bike) goes into my vehicles.
Can you please ask him/her what is the difference between the euro spec C5 oil and API SN Plus insofar as additives for curing the LSPI problems with direct injection turbo engines?

Neo1967

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Since Toyota Care comes with 2 free oil changes Is it 10,000 miles or 1 year? What happens if you wait until you reach 10,000 (5,000, in my case) and it takes you 2 years to get there. Do you lose your future "free" Toyota Care oil changes?

Chief131

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Since Toyota Care comes with 2 free oil changes Is it 10,000 miles or 1 year? What happens if you wait until you reach 10,000 (5,000, in my case) and it takes you 2 years to get there. Do you lose your future "free" Toyota Care oil changes?
Yes. Toyota Care is two years or 24,000 miles - whichever comes first.
I also find it interesting that when I bought the car, they specifically told me my first trip to the dealer should be at 5,000 miles for my first tire rotation...... going to go in there at 5k and ask them to please explain that one to me.......
Sponsored