2019 Toyota Supra Prototype Reveals Production Intent Design/Parts

Who do you think is behind the wheel of the Supra?

• White guy

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Asian guy

Votes: 23 63.9%

• Total voters

Scino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 WRX Limited, 2015 GLA250 AMG Sport
Yeah torque converter autos are getting very good. The new 10 speed in the new LC500 is very good too, I hear. Torque converters have the added benefit of also being buttery smooth when they want to, something that dual clutches still have trouble with. Once dual clutches can be as smooth as TC autos, then it's a no brainer to go with a dual clutch.
Torque Converter auto will shift faster and more direct that dual clutch before DC get as smooth as TC because all the development money is in TC.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Timster1990

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti Q50
Yeah torque converter autos are getting very good. The new 10 speed in the new LC500 is very good too, I hear. Torque converters have the added benefit of also being buttery smooth when they want to, something that dual clutches still have trouble with. Once dual clutches can be as smooth as TC autos, then it's a no brainer to go with a dual clutch.
Yea I can hear the difference now, its subtle but its there, the DCT or PDK for example is absolutely instant. The TQ ZF doesn't seem to react as hard or quickly after a gear change as the PDK under hard accelerating.

Sidenote: It took me almost forever to find a video with a Auto Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio. I'm looking at you TOYOTA! o_O

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Yea I can hear the difference now, its subtle but its there, the DCT or PDK for example is absolutely instant. The TQ ZF doesn't seem to react as hard or quickly after a gear change as the PDK under hard accelerating.

Sidenote: It took me almost forever to find a video with a Auto Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio. I'm looking at you TOYOTA! o_O
Fwiw, they don't sell the Alfa with a manual in North America either... :dunno:

Timster1990

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti Q50
naturally the next question I asked myself was DCT vs ZF8..the M5 is apparently ditching the DCT for a ZF8

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=181&t=1662047

So here is an interesting forum thread in case anyone is interested in learning, M5 owners discussing the difference. One M5 owner actually said he went to drive the Alfa that has the ZF8, went in thinking he wouldn't like it and left actually really liking it. So maybe this will put manual owners at ease. Doubtful but it does put me at ease.

Last edited:

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF

Here is a up close and personal view of the Supra. Skip to 6:23

It has different wheels (18")

Red Interior

Automatic (BMW style as we all know)

Round steering wheel (I'm disappointed that it's not a flat bottom)

Tire Sizes

Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Front : 255/40R18

Rear : 275/40R18

2019 Supra - 1.jpg
Thanks for the vid!

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
BMW interior is much better than a traditional toyota interior...also the BMW infotainment system is far better than Toyota's and Lexus's. I think the interior is ideal.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
The BMW interior is probably better but Toyota is fine and not as important to me. However your right, the infotainment and tools to navigate it are much better in the BMW.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Bakerr6

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
11 CRV, 12 FRS, 16 Pilot

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I feel like the first gen 86 like the one I have is already pretty stripped down. I'd be hard pressed to see what else is gone.
Infotainment, paint, I also think air conditioning.

About 50lbs reduced from what's already there.