2020 Supra prototype at Goodwood Festival of Speed (photos/videos)

Will fake vents stop you from buying the new Supra?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
What is the deal with the real TRD? Do they even exist anymore? It seems like TRD became so watered down as a truck label that Toyota had to invent a new performance line\racing company\hop up parts lines for actual sporty cars

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
Real TRD Japan still exists, but I expect most of what us Toyota people would have classically considered real TRD will now be coming from the GR brand.

Jeff

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if GR/TRD will offer pop out kits for the front vents that add diverter ducts... hmm :)
A70.. hope everything you are saying are hints with substance behind. Lol

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
Oh man if we got started on fake vents, the places this thread can go.

But alright, I'll start: The M3 fender vents are fake.

Jeff

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
What is the deal with the real TRD? Do they even exist anymore? It seems like TRD became so watered down as a truck label that Toyota had to invent a new performance line\racing company\hop up parts lines for actual sporty cars
The answer to this would be a mile long but essentially they have fallen out of favor and are more or less the old guard. Why? Because Toyota stopped making cool cars for anything outside Japan and eventually more or less stopped making cool cars to tune there too.

Then Akio comes into the picture and is like ew, old dusty TRD, no thanks. This is especially since TRD is a racing branch of Technocraft, and Technocraft designs all sorts of other stuff like limousines, ambulances, taxis, and other special vehicles and material research outside of racing.

So Akio was like, 'I want my own division that does racing and isn't watered down and doesn't have an old boring reputation.' As a result, TRD(Technocraft) does not like Gazoo and has had funding taken away as a result.

To further complicate this, now Technocraft is defunct and Toyota combined Technocraft and Modellista to form Toyota Customizing & Development (April 2018).

My question is, does that mean TRD as a name is now gone? Will it remain in the USA as rumors suggest? (what a mess)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.