2020 Supra prototype at Goodwood Festival of Speed (photos/videos)

Will fake vents stop you from buying the new Supra?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Myers

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB E350e, MB V250, (no longer: BMW 430D xDrive)
Experts :thumbsup:

Good looks vs Performance:confused1:
I did not say look vs performance. I said good look and good to ride. Whatever: Your motivation to buy a car (that car) might be a completely different than those of lots of other customers. Not everybody wants an ultimate driving machine when buying a Supra.
Sponsored

NewQ

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
C7 STINGRAY
Vehicle Showcase
I did not say look vs performance. I said good look and good to ride. Whatever: Your motivation to buy a car (that car) might be a completely different than those of lots of other customers. Not everybody wants an ultimate driving machine when buying a Supra.
So what are you looking for?

Federalization?
Reliability ?
Supra name ?
Investment?
State of the art tech?

Many factors will make buyers purchase a car and if TOYOTA does not fulfill SUPRA's image (Bring a real street/track performance car) it will be a total flop and will lose money, customers, trust, ... - Market Share

Mike Myers

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB E350e, MB V250, (no longer: BMW 430D xDrive)
So what are you looking for?

Federalization?
Reliability ?
Supra name ?
Investment?
State of the art tech?

Many factors will make buyers purchase a car and if TOYOTA does not fulfill SUPRA's image (Bring a real street/track performance car) it will be a total flop and will lose money, customers, trust, ... - Market Share
I just wanted to say that your requirements may be much higher than those of other potential buyers. And there is nothing wrong with that.

After all we know until now I’m completely sure that it won’t be a flop.

And there is one more thing: Everybody in here is only talking about the „maximum“ Supra with inline six and lots of power. But there will be some more versions with smaller engines / other trims. So there will be different shapes for different needs.

Last aspect from me for today: In opposite to the meaning of a few guys in here the collaboration with BMW is not really detrimental in many customers eyes. I am one of them.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Nothing groundbreaking to report, but confirmation:

1. That the prototype has 6 cylinder.
2. It will be built in Europe.
3. Production will start in the 1st quarter of next year.

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
Is it just me, or does this car sound good in some videos and not so great in others? :dunno:

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Is it just me, or does this car sound good in some videos and not so great in others? :dunno:
Exhaust note (for any car) is definitely very inconsistent through video imo. I'll reserve my judgment for when I hear it in person.

...and when I hear it with downpipes. :D

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
From my experience, rarely does a video make a car sound better than it does in person. Also from the video of the cold start under the booth tent, the first rev was muffled and then later sounded much better. It's pretty safe to say it has an exhaust valve system.

Last edited:

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
I6 has never been a special sounding engine, but it also never sounded bad. It is a well balanced engine in every aspect.

SPMS

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rc-F, 350z-TT, G2 Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
I6 has never been a special sounding engine, but it also never sounded bad. It is a well balanced engine in every aspect.
Huh....I dont know what you've been listening to, but 2jz/rb26 have distinct notes that sound amazing. To me it's better than any i4, V series motors, well besides v10/v12. I'd take a i6 any day of the week.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Huh....I dont know what you've been listening to, but 2jz/rb26 have distinct notes that sound amazing. To me it's better than any i4, V series motors, well besides v10/v12. I'd take a i6 any day of the week.
I agree, 2JZ/RB straight six engines sound amazing!....especially with an obnoxious turbo with a T51R mod :D. Zoooo-too-too-too-toooo!

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A70TTR or Guff, still no info on the engine codes? I know so far it's confirmed to be a BMW derived motor, but any info on whether Toyota will use the "JZ" schema on the new motor (i.e., 3JZ)? I ask because since we are getting a continuation of the A series chassis (even though it's shared with BMW), I figured Toyota might do the same with the engine series schema???

Last edited:

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
The chances of this car actually having an A90 chassis code are pretty much zero. The chances of Toyota using JZ for this engine is definitely zero.

Jeff

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The chances of this car actually having an A90 chassis code are pretty much zero. The chances of Toyota using JZ for this engine is definitely zero.

Jeff
Jeff, you think so? Why would they advertise the "A90" moniker all over the car only to discard at production? Could the same thing be said about the "Supra" name then?

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
A70TTR or Guff, still no info on the engine codes? I know so far it's confirmed to be a BMW derived motor, but any info on whether Toyota will use the "JZ" schema on the new motor (i.e., 3JZ)? I ask because since we are getting a continuation of the A series chassis (even though it's shared with BMW), I figured Toyota might do the same with the engine series schema???
I actually have no clue about this. But, Toyotas original Flat-Twin engines in the '60s Sports800 carried the 2U designation, and the Subaru derived Flat-4 in the new 86 carries the 4U designation. However, the engines are predominantly known by the builder's (Subaru's) designation: FA20. Regardless, Toyota continued the name. Whether or not they call this motor a 3JZ is entirely unknown, but I guess there is some confluence to show that they might?

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
I actually have no clue about this. But, Toyotas original Flat-Twin engines in the '60s Sports800 carried the 2U designation, and the Subaru derived Flat-4 in the new 86 carries the 4U designation. However, the engines are predominantly known by the builder's (Subaru's) designation: FA20. Regardless, Toyota continued the name. Whether or not they call this motor a 3JZ is entirely unknown, but I guess there is some confluence to show that they might?
Was going to comment exactly this. So I wouldn't say the chances are exactly 0.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.