2020 Supra Transmission Chat - Manual, Dual Clutch, or Auto?

What kind of transmission are you hoping for?

• Manual

Votes: 72 68.6%
  • DCT

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Auto

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
i'm really surprised at the 50/50 weight split. they had to put that inline six low and far back for that to happen. 86's are 53/47 i think. without a rear transaxle and and 4 inch shorter wheel base than the 86! that shocked me! this thing should be mighty sprightly!
Its all about packaging though. A rarely mentioned fact, the jza80 NA 5spd had a 51/49 weight distribution from the factory. And thats with a full size battery sitting behind the DS head light. If that same car has an all aluminum engine block, like a b58 has, it would easily be 50/50.

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
We were also told that the Supra will offer 50/50 weight distribution. This and the low center of gravity were not achieved by using a transaxle, Tada confirmed, adding that hitting these targets was the most difficult part of the project. Weā€™re still trying to work out the packaging, but we were promised all will be revealed when we get to drive the car sometime next year.
Well, there goes the transaxle. 50/50 is not ideal as BMW tries to sell it, but rear biased is better. The Supra will not be that different from the TVR in concept. A Supra with LC500 engine and manual? This could be the Z4 M Coupe with S65 that BMW never built.

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
50/50 is pretty damn close to perfect. The LFA has 48/52, and that was perfect, because with brake dive coming into a corner, it attained 50/50. I would take 50/50 over any mid engined weight balance you care to look up any day. Mid and rear engine is overrated. The LFA designers knew this, they didn't choose FR with rear transaxel due to cost.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
50/50 is pretty damn close to perfect. The LFA has 48/52, and that was perfect, because with brake dive coming into a corner, it attained 50/50. I would take 50/50 over any mid engined weight balance you care to look up any day. Mid and rear engine is overrated. The LFA designers knew this, they didn't choose FR with rear transaxel due to cost.

The Ford GT is the only other car with 50/50

simply put

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
bus
50/50 is no mythical plateau of chassis tuning. it's not a piece of unobtanium. it's been done plenty times before and i find it hard to believe that the ford gt is the only other 50/50. it used to be a bmw mandate on at least their small and mid sized cars. but lately they've been more forward leaning 52/48 on their sedans. remember they tried to dump the "ultimate driving machine" line some years ago. 'bout the time their steering started to suck.

52/48 is easier to drive for the average consumer. but as stated earlier a slight rear bias is best for braking and handling and also helps with putting power down.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
the ancient A70 is/was 52/48

50/50 or close to it isn't hard, especially when you have a lighter motor. of which, the B58 is quite a bit lighter than the 1/2JZ; ~180lbs lighter from my research (which makes sense given materials and advancements in tech).

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
Am more interested in rigidity, track widths and wheelbase (and later on the final/production suspension geometry) more than just the static weight distribution. The load distribution changes all the time; its awesome to start from a perfect 50/50, but how the load is tossed around IMHO is more important.

I mean, A light weight perfectly balanced car, that gains 3-4 deg of positive camber per inch of compression will handle like crap!

By all means 50/50 is fantastic, but its not THE main aspect of great handling. 911s are a great example of what am trying to emphasize here.

The Comedian

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Subaru BRZ
I actually really like my brz transmission. Itā€™s super notchy and fun to row. I donā€™t know how much power it can hold, but Iā€™d be happy with something similar with the right gear ratio for the power

upnsmoke

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota MR2 GT, Nismo 370Z , Subaru Liberty Outback
Its perfectly understandble why some here are disappointed that its Auto only... those who want auto, you guys have to understand why people want manual... have some sympathy lol
Sponsored