2020 Supra Transmission Chat - Manual, Dual Clutch, or Auto?

What kind of transmission are you hoping for?

• Manual

Votes: 72 68.6%
  • DCT

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Auto

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
Lol, I guess you are ok with an auto only MKV Supra.. in that case why are you even in this thread? Toyota obviously thought the R&D they did for the FRS/BRZ would be a success but they were dead wrong. Did u buy a FRS/BRZ? They failed in every market these two are offered so.. stop being a Toyota fanboy. Toyota knows how to make a car.. example MKIV, however, theyā€™ve made more blunders in assuming this is what the market wants than other manufacturers and failed miserably.. example FRS/BRZ and the entire Scion brand.

Oh also I currently have a MKIV Supra, GenV Viper, C7Z06 and a 6th gen Mustang GT at the moment and all in manual. Before this car comes out Iā€™d also have a ND Miata. I appreciate all sorts of cars but just not the automatic ones that are supposed to be a sports car.

Abandoning manuals is the worst thing that can happen to the entire car culture. Owning cars in Europe and Japan itself is an expensive item much less owning a sports car. Toyotaā€™s target market for this car is the US.. lol they sell more cars in the US than any other market. Wanna talk polictics.. every damn manufacturer has been abandoning the Aussie land for manufacturing.. maybe you can size up a kangaroo in automatic.
Australian of the North is from the UK.

The manual is on its way out, sorry to break it to you. Clearly having a manual isn't that important to Toyota nor was it enough to save the MKIV from getting the axe.
Sponsored

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
Australian of the North is from the UK.

The manual is on its way out, sorry to break it to you. Clearly having a manual isn't that important to Toyota nor was it enough to save the MKIV from getting the axe.
Ehh.. same thing.. not one auto manufacturer from Britain are owned by brits anymore.... they should be the last ones to talk about auto industry and what it takes.

Unfortunately .. thatā€™s the case and thatā€™s why Iā€™m hoarding all the nice manual cars that are made today.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
Ehh.. same thing.. not one auto manufacturer from Britain are owned by brits anymore.... they should be the last ones to talk about auto industry and what it takes.

Unfortunately .. thatā€™s the case and thatā€™s why Iā€™m hoarding all the nice manual cars that are made today.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion here regardless of where they're from. Manual enthusiasts are an increasingly shrinking minority. Fewer and fewer compelling reasons can justify the existence of manuals in cars. So if you can see the writing on the wall then you can see why Toyota doesn't want to invest in a technology that may not be around in 10 years especially considering the existence of this MKV is dependent upon a positive return on investment.

The car is going to kick ass either way.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone is entitled to an opinion here regardless of where they're from. Manual enthusiasts are an increasingly shrinking minority. Fewer and fewer compelling reasons can justify the existence of manuals in cars. So if you can see the writing on the wall then you can see why Toyota doesn't want to invest in a technology that may not be around in 10 years especially considering the existence of this MKV is dependent upon a positive return on investment.

The car is going to kick ass either way.
I really hope it does succeed, but have you wondered why Porsche is coming back out with a GT3 that sports a manual? There are many many people out there thatā€™ll only buy a proper sports car.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the stats Supraboi..

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
I really hope it does succeed, but have you wondered why Porsche is coming back out with a GT3 that sports a manual? There are many many people out there thatā€™ll only buy a proper sports car.
"Porsche spokesman Paul Ellis said sales of the Porsche 911 7-speed manual transmission have dropped from 20 per cent a decade ago to just 5 per cent." (http://www.afr.com/lifestyle/cars-b...on-triggers-a-clutch-backlash-20150614-ghni7m)

Less than 3% of cars in the United States are sold in manual

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
"Porsche spokesman Paul Ellis said sales of the Porsche 911 7-speed manual transmission have dropped from 20 per cent a decade ago to just 5 per cent." (http://www.afr.com/lifestyle/cars-b...on-triggers-a-clutch-backlash-20150614-ghni7m)

Less than 3% of cars in the United States are sold in manual
A 150k 911R spiked to over a million dollar car.. more expensive then their halo 918.. cause manual. Stats are everywhere.. you can dig them up and so can I. Automatics were made to accommodate the handicapped for being independent to begin with. Now weā€™ve all gotten lazy..

Btw.. 3% of 17.25 million cars is 1/2 million vehicles.

Last edited:

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
What I am trying to understand is why Solid and LexusIsf are going out of their way to fight us on the reasoning of why we want a manual???

Can we not have hope, can we not have a plea, can we not have a desire to fight for what a sportscar should be?

How could you guys just continue to shoot down our hopes and dreams. An enthusiast celebrates individualism not conformity.

Its like you guys are fighting against us and not with us. And its seriously getting annoying. We are buyers just like you guys and all we want is to be happy.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What I am trying to understand is why Solid and LexusIsf are going out of their way to fight us on the reasoning of why we want a manual???

Can we not have hope, can we not have a plea, can we not have a desire to fight for what a sportscar should be?

How could you guys just continue to shoot down our hopes and dreams. An enthusiast celebrates individualism not conformity. Quit trying to rain on our parade.
Donā€™t mind them.. these are probably the same people that canā€™t drive a manual. Just entertain them and theyā€™ll disappear soon enough when they find out a new video game was introduced.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
Donā€™t mind them.. these are probably the same people that canā€™t drive a manual. Just entertain them and theyā€™ll disappear soon enough when they find out a new video game was introduced.
Lol, who is "fighting" against you?

You all live in a fantasy world where you think having a manual Supra is somehow going to solve your problems. I've been following this forum for a long time. The most annoying thing is watching this ridiculous thread constantly pop up with useless information from angsty fan boys crying about how their precious Supra isn't going to come with a manual.

I'm not "fighting" i'm citing facts and you're making personal attacks on people's country of origin. You think by crying on this forum you're going to get a manual? Time and time again we're getting information from insiders and articles with interviews with Tada san and yet here we are...lmao

Last edited:

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, who is "fighting" against you?

You all live in a fantasy world where you think having a manual Supra is somehow going to solve your problems. I've been following this forum for a long time. The most annoying this is watching this ridiculous thread constantly pop up with useless information from angsty fan boys crying about how their precious Supra isn't going to come with a manual.

I'm not "fighting" i'm citing facts and you're making personal attacks on people's country of origin. You think by crying on this forum you're going to get a manual? Time and time again we're getting information from insiders and articles with interviews with Tada san and yet here we are...lmao
Fighting? You were the first person to mention that word. This thread is so annoying but yet still you are here.. if something annoys me I avoid it.. so how about not respond here anymore and unsubribe to it.. maybe thatā€™s what you need to do instead of adding to it..

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Anytime :)

Man, you have a lot of nice toys. If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living? I may need to pick a new career lol.
They are just poor financial decisions.. and Iā€™m trying to ask Toyota to help me make another poor financial decision but they seem to be adamant about not giving me what I want. Iā€™m in the energy trading industry.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
They are just poor financial decisions.. and Iā€™m trying to ask Toyota to help me make another poor financial decision but they seem to be adamant about not giving me what I want. Iā€™m in the energy trading industry.
Toyota estimated a 500 million dollar cost to adapt a manual with the Toyota Safety System and BMW i6 engine. They estimated a 20% take rate on the manual vs the automatic. The amount of people who would buy a manual MKV would not justify the 500 million dollar investment.

A manual didn't save the MKIV. Enthusiasts didn't save the MKIV.

Fighting? You were the first person to mention that word.
Sponsored