2020 Supra Transmission Chat - Manual, Dual Clutch, or Auto?

What kind of transmission are you hoping for?

• Manual

Votes: 72 68.6%
  • DCT

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Auto

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
i actually heard more downshifts than upshifts from that Bimmer
Sponsored

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Although not having a MT option is a let down for some people, there are a handful of MT options that will bolt up to the BMW block. Modifying the shifter, pedals, driveshaft, and coding isn't the end of the world

A-I

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MkIV TT 6-speed (sold), EVO6 RSII (sold), Audi S4 (current)
Its a bit strange that Toyota say they did their market research and opted to omit the manual, but the result of this thread survey strongly supports the manual gearbox.
So it looks likely that Toyota did some research and one of two things happened.
They did not take any notice of it or they asked totally the wrong people.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
Its a bit strange that Toyota say they did their market research and opted to omit the manual, but the result of this thread survey strongly supports the manual gearbox.
So it looks likely that Toyota did some research and one of two things happened.
BMW said no.. Toyota has no call in this. After all itā€™s a Zupra.

A-I

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ah, I didn't know that BMW had over-ruled Toyota on their design options.
That changes a lot, and I guess it may be down the lines of competing against the new Z4 and M2 ?
Ensuring that the new Zupra is not a more attractive product than the BMW range.

Its looking more and more like a sad end to the Supra name. :(

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Ah, I didn't know that BMW had over-ruled Toyota on their design options.
That changes a lot, and I guess it may be down the lines of competing against the new Z4 and M2 ?
Ensuring that the new Zupra is not a more attractive product than the BMW range.
It will outperform them, regardless:thumbsup:

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
Before everyone jumps on my back I am all about saving the manual and having more choices for people to choose from. So with that said...

The thing is that enthusiast do not the equal major of sales. For example, everyone over at Bimmerpost wants BMW to build a Z4 coupe. I believe their poll was like 90% of people wanted this to happen. BMW has done this before with the E85, and guess how many they sold? Only 17,094 coupes worldwide to 180,856 roadsters.

Back to the MT point, even the manual rate for the C7 is pretty low. So from a business case it doesn't make much sense. But at the same time it's lame if Toyota only offers an auto for their halo sports car.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a30217/2016-corvette-manual-take-rate/

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2017/06/09/production-statistics-for-the-2017-corvette-model-year/

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
Not to be rude, but did you ever consider that you are the wrong people?

This forum and enthusiasts are a really small fraction of new car buyers.

A-I

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Good points above I have to say.

But recently in the performance car market I would say the wrong people are being canvassed by manufacturers, by this I mean the people who often buy brand new cars off the forecourt are not usually the enthusiast, but rather the flippers, lease companies and people who are not looking to hold on to the car for a long periods of time due to depreciation, mileage and warranty expiry dates etc.
These of course are the people who make the sales figures "worth it".

(This is just personal speculation and happy to be corrected of course)

So yeah I would strongly agree that many of us on enthusiast forums are not the typical customer who would be looking to buy brand new.

However in my case I do have an amount of savings burning a hole in my pocket, and was hoping for a 6-speed MkV to buy once I had seen how they look and perform on the road. I had even put my name forward at a number of local Toyota dealerships to inform me as soon as they have the new models enter their showroom so that I could go along and test drive.
I've more or less now given up on the MkV having read there'll be no manual soon, which is unfortunate as I've been looking forward to the MkV for years.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Total BS.
Was at Toyota getting my 86 serviced and spoke with the salesman. He has a deposit down on the Supra but even he can't get a damn thing out of toyota. Rumors of a V6 floating around was what eh told me and I was just like

:confused1:

Only reinforces that we will know when Toyota wants us to know, and that seems to be for a while. Buckle down, gonna be dark times ahead.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Was at Toyota getting my 86 serviced and spoke with the salesman. He has a deposit down on the Supra but even he can't get a damn thing out of toyota. Rumors of a V6 floating around was what eh told me and I was just like

:confused1:

Only reinforces that we will know when Toyota wants us to know, and that seems to be for a while. Buckle down, gonna be dark times ahead.
Dealers are dumb. Iā€™m sorry.. they donā€™t even know about the car they have on the showroom floor. Expecting anything substantial from a dealer at this point about the upcoming BMW is like expecting to understand a woman.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dealers are dumb. Iā€™m sorry.. they donā€™t even know about the car they have on the showroom floor. Expecting anything substantial from a dealer at this point about the upcoming BMW is like expecting to understand a woman.
Eh, the salesman was a guy who tracked his car, had a WRX STI and what not. Knew a lot about the 86. I can tell what he was talking about wasn't complete horse shit and he tried prying on his end but to no avail. Other salesmen I know had me rolling my eyes when they tried to give me their pitch but this guy felt like an earnest, honest guy who knew the product he was selling and also was an enthusiast deep down. He is also hoping this Supra doesn't flop, or else he can't sell it.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Eh, the salesman was a guy who tracked his car, had a WRX STI and what not. Knew a lot about the 86. I can tell what he was talking about wasn't complete horse shit and he tried prying on his end but to no avail. Other salesmen I know had me rolling my eyes when they tried to give me their pitch but this guy felt like an earnest, honest guy who knew the product he was selling and also was an enthusiast deep down. He is also hoping this Supra doesn't flop, or else he can't sell it.
There is always an exception to a rule. Good to hear there are still some folks with the passion in the business.
Sponsored