2021 F1 season prediction Challenge! - With Prize From APEX Race Parts!

OP
OP
nibble

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Final results are in! congrats to 4 winners /w half of the field nailed down, 5 out of 10 teams!

Now you have the bragging right that you have better crystal ball than anyone else! :D

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 10.06.06 AM.png

in a hind sight, I think I need to tweak scoring a bit to minimize tie scores and make it exciting for audience... putting on Masi's hat. :p
Sponsored

APEXRaceParts

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Sponsor
Final results are in! congrats to 4 winners /w half of the field nailed down, 5 out of 10 teams!

Now you have the bragging right that you have better crystal ball than anyone else! :D

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 10.06.06 AM.png

in a hind sight, I think I need to tweak scoring a bit to minimize tie scores and make it exciting for audience... putting on Masi's hat. :p
We can tweak the configuration for next year, but it works out since our entry is just for fun. The winners can DM me and in this case, I think a few equal options for everyone makes the most sense. We never really finalized prizes, but I'm happy to offer all 3 winners $100.00 in APEX credit for orders of wheels or hardware/accessories. Alternatively, if you'd prefer simple things like APEX T-shirts, I can send 2 or 3 shirts to each of the winners. Please reach out if you're one of the top 3 and thanks again @nibble for hosting the challenge this year. There isn't necessarily an expiration on the prizes, but please reach out via DM if you'd like to claim it as I'll need to create the orders manually.

Its been such an amazing season, and it was a bit of a shame to end it with the safety cars playing such a huge role, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Very happy that there weren't major collisions that took both contenders out of the race and Merc winning constructors is a nice touch as their team really pushed to improve that car over the course of the year.

Really excited for the new formula and Russell at Mercedes next year!

-Tom

Last edited:

RWhiz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche 911 964, Tacoma, 2021 Absolute Zero Premium
Thanks Nibble and Tom for running and sponsoring this contest, it was fun and hopefully we can do it again next season. :headbang:

APEXRaceParts

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Sponsor
Nothing is over!

I'm sure the link won't play directly in this forum, but as a wheel nerd, it's interesting to see the mule cars running the new larger diameter wheels and all the brake and suspension changes required to make the larger wheels work.

Will you guys miss the 13" wheels? There was something cool about the big fat sidewalls IMO, but I'm excited for the new 18s. Hopefully Pirelli make a more consistent tire. ?

-Tom

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Nothing is over!

I'm sure the link won't play directly in this forum, but as a wheel nerd, it's interesting to see the mule cars running the new larger diameter wheels and all the brake and suspension changes required to make the larger wheels work.

Will you guys miss the 13" wheels? There was something cool about the big fat sidewalls IMO, but I'm excited for the new 18s. Hopefully Pirelli make a more consistent tire. ?

-Tom
The 18s donā€™t look quite as big as I thought but man all I see is more unsprung weight.

And as much as I love racing, I wish the teams had a longer offseason. The first 2022 test is in what, March?

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Nothing is over!

-Tom
The 18's look incredible. Has taken way too long to get rid of the 13's. Only thing I'm not excited about are the wheel covers. Think they look crap.

The 18s donā€™t look quite as big as I thought but man all I see is more unsprung weight.

And as much as I love racing, I wish the teams had a longer offseason. The first 2022 test is in what, March?
I doubt there's more weight. F1 has a way to make anything work. And I doubt a few extended spokes weigh more than a couple inches of sidewall of heavy rubber. The added weight might be from the wheel covers, but they'll be Carbon Fiber so who knows. The first race is March 20th I believe. So testing will be earlier that month, or even late February.

APEXRaceParts

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Sponsor

Yeah, I was explaining that to my father who just started following F1 this year. he thought we were going to be waiting until May or June till race 1 of 2022. Crazy long seasons with more and more triple and double headers.

The 18's look incredible. Has taken way too long to get rid of the 13's. Only thing I'm not excited about are the wheel covers. Think they look crap.

I doubt there's more weight. F1 has a way to make anything work. And I doubt a few extended spokes weigh more than a couple inches of sidewall of heavy rubber. The added weight might be from the wheel covers, but they'll be Carbon Fiber so who knows. The first race is March 20th I believe. So testing will be earlier that month, or even late February.
I would love to see the weight comparisons of the overall packages ie 13" vs 18". I would suspect that the weight difference is smaller than we think for wheels/tires alone, but the 18" wheels with smaller sidewall will likely require slightly beefier suspension bits and more robust dampers as you no longer get as much of a "suspension" effect from the fat sidewalls. Curious to see what they do with the extra room around the brakes too. We need a tech talk on this...

-Tom

OP
OP
nibble

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Yeah, I was explaining that to my father who just started following F1 this year. he thought we were going to be waiting until May or June till race 1 of 2022. Crazy long seasons with more and more triple and double headers.

I would love to see the weight comparisons of the overall packages ie 13" vs 18". I would suspect that the weight difference is smaller than we think for wheels/tires alone, but the 18" wheels with smaller sidewall will likely require slightly beefier suspension bits and more robust dampers as you no longer get as much of a "suspension" effect from the fat sidewalls. Curious to see what they do with the extra room around the brakes too. We need a tech talk on this...

-Tom

I'm glad to see Nyck De Vries were on the track /w F1 car. I'd think they will have larger brake kit to fill that void. But I'm sure there's maximum size FIA will enforce. Also, with that much of room I wonder they will still have "Magic" mode..

Mule car discussion was also interesting that they cannot use current year car.

After that video, I just can't wait for 2022 reveal day how each team has interpreted the design proposed by FIA.

my prediction on 2022, first few races there would be a big performance differences. would it be Merc comes out on top despite least amount of budget and wind tunnel time? or the one who has most resources? 2022 season may not be as interesting as 2021 but looking forward to it as well as Drive to Survive season 4. :D

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm glad to see Nyck De Vries were on the track /w F1 car. I'd think they will have larger brake kit to fill that void. But I'm sure there's maximum size FIA will enforce. Also, with that much of room I wonder they will still have "Magic" mode..

Mule car discussion was also interesting that they cannot use current year car.

After that video, I just can't wait for 2022 reveal day how each team has interpreted the design proposed by FIA.

my prediction on 2022, first few races there would be a big performance differences. would it be Merc comes out on top despite least amount of budget and wind tunnel time? or the one who has most resources? 2022 season may not be as interesting as 2021 but looking forward to it as well as Drive to Survive season 4. :D
Why would Mercedes have the least amount of budget?? They have always spent the most.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

-Tom
The new brakes are a lot bigger. There's a pit walk through on YouTube from today. They're massive.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Why would Mercedes have the least amount of budget?? They have always spent the most.
Yeah, I don't think the budget for anyone changes, they all get 135 million. I don't know about last season, but 17 or 18 Ferrari was way out spending anyone else. This season starting the new cap, i think it was 145 million, really shows that the big teams were affected by it. Big accidents really wrecked that budget lol

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
The new brakes are a lot bigger. There's a pit walk through on YouTube from today. They're massive.
I believe those were just the ducts to fill the gap, i doubt anyone would pull out the new stuff on these mule cars, they just had to fill the gap.
1639589402447.png

McLaren ran a huge "drum cover" but the brakes were the same size
1639589481123.png

For 2022 the discs go from max 278mm all around to 325-330mm front 275-280mm rear. And it seems from a lot of "experts" they will run the smaller dics as it will be more then enough power BUT heat may come into play since they lose the big cooling ducts now and the "blown through" effect with the wheel covers.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
So the FIA is launching a formal ā€œprobeā€ of the Abu Dhabi incident because itā€™s tarnishing F1ā€™s image. It doesnā€™t look like it will change the outcome of the race but I assume they will come up with a new procedure if there is a safety car with less than 5 laps left.

I donā€™t see how Masi continues on in his current position after this. Not sure Iā€™d let him run a go-kart track after this season.

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
So the fia wants to investigate the fia with the fiaā€¦. Riiiiiiight Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll find so many problems:doh:
Sponsored