2021 Locked MK5 - JB+ Installed and CEL that wont clear

cdrkimball100

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 supra
Update. This weekend I installed the AMS charge pipe and full MST intake. I reinstalled the original JB+ and the car started with no CEL to my surprise. Went inside to get ready to leave for a drive and when I started the car, CEL was back. I used my buddies handheld Bosch scanner and successfully clred the CEL again. Went on a 20 min drive and the CEL stayed off the whole time. During the next key cycle, the CEL returns and stays. Basically I think the ECM is doing some sort of check at startup and seeing something it doesn't like with the JB+ so it throws the CEL. I am working with Burger to get a replacement unit to see if this clears up the issue. Power seems normal with the car.

With a dp you will get cel. I have the same issue. It says catless dp detected so I'm putting on an 02 spacer to see if it helps
Sponsored

OP
OP
slobra300

slobra300

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra Premium
Yea and I will deal with it until they unlock the 21's but I am mostly trying to get the cel that was generated after installing the JB+ to clear.

delita1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Z4 M40i, 2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Yea and I will deal with it until they unlock the 21's but I am mostly trying to get the cel that was generated after installing the JB+ to clear.
I can't speak for the Toyota as I have a Z4 but I've had a couple of CEL's with my JB4 that I had to put the car in diagnostic mode and then it cleared. Came back a couple of times but I'm going on a week now without it returning. It was not due to the DP either. Using the AA catted DP.

OP
OP
slobra300

slobra300

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Gotcha. Honestly I think it was incorrect firmware in the JB+ because I could clear the code but at every start up, it would return. Almost like the ECM was seeing something it didn't recognize with the sensor at every key cycle. They sent me a 2nd one (which may have incorrect firmware also so I may actually need a 3rd unit eventually) which I'm going to try this weekend. Power does not seem to be affected so that's a plus however, I didn't notice a noticeable difference in power and theoretically I should feel an additional 3psi of boost.

Sucks because with my new AMS charge pipe, it is a PITA to change.

OP
OP
slobra300

slobra300

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Update. Working with Burger, we are pretty sure we have bad firmware. I removed the JB+ over the weekend and cleared the codes which did not return. Went for a Sunday cruise and man did the car have power. I am pretty sure the suspected bad firmware was causing a low boost scenario. We are going to try a confirmed good JB+ and if the codes don't return, we should be good. I am hoping this is the case because I cant imagine another 40hp. You 2020 guys/gals must be loving it, I cant imagine 450whp and 500+ torque much less any of you with pure upgrades.

delita1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Update. Working with Burger, we are pretty sure we have bad firmware. I removed the JB+ over the weekend and cleared the codes which did not return. Went for a Sunday cruise and man did the car have power. I am pretty sure the suspected bad firmware was causing a low boost scenario. We are going to try a confirmed good JB+ and if the codes don't return, we should be good. I am hoping this is the case because I cant imagine another 40hp. You 2020 guys/gals must be loving it, I cant imagine 450whp and 500+ torque much less any of you with pure upgrades.
Mine comes back very randomly. I won't see it for a week or two and then it will pop up. Put car into Diagnostic mode, clear, and its good to go again. Could be same issue, who knows.

OP
OP
slobra300

slobra300

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mine comes back very randomly. I won't see it for a week or two and then it will pop up. Put car into Diagnostic mode, clear, and its good to go again. Could be same issue, who knows.
Interesting, and this is with a JB+? When the code is not active, do you notice a power improvement?

delita1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Interesting, and this is with a JB+? When the code is not active, do you notice a power improvement?
No I have a JB4. And to my knowledge, no, I don't notice any difference in power. CEL pops and I'm like "Great...", next time I stop the car, turn it off, diagnostic mode, clear CEL in JB4 app, start car, keep driving. It's a weird code too (104301).
wRXh3GM.jpeg

OP
OP
slobra300

slobra300

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Gotcha. I think are situations are unrelated. Just went for a drive and the car feels fast. Burger has mailed me a new JB+ so we shall see.

OP
OP
slobra300

slobra300

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Installed the new JB+ and no CEL!! I can 100% say I notice the increase in boost. In fact, during a WOT pull I actually blew off my AMS charge pipe clamp because apparently I did not have it tight enough. Removed the intake and got the charge pipe better positioned and properly tightened, reinstalled intake and went for a drive. Traction is noticeably more of an issue in 1st and 2nd and it pulls like a beast. I cant wait for full exhaust and a tune... You 2020 guys must be having a blast.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Installed the new JB+ and no CEL!! I can 100% say I notice the increase in boost. In fact, during a WOT pull I actually blew off my AMS charge pipe clamp because apparently I did not have it tight enough. Removed the intake and got the charge pipe better positioned and properly tightened, reinstalled intake and went for a drive. Traction is noticeably more of an issue in 1st and 2nd and it pulls like a beast. I cant wait for full exhaust and a tune... You 2020 guys must be having a blast.
Awesome!

As a small suggestion you should run an log with an OBDII scanner logging tool while you drive the car around to make sure you are not getting any knock in the motor. If you are, the car will pull timing and reduce your power output - the solution would be to run higher octane fuel or dial down the boost.

OP
OP
slobra300

slobra300

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That's a great idea, appreciate that. Luckily I am in an area that has 93 so that's all I run but I will do a log just to make sure all is well.
Sponsored