2021 Locked MK5 - JB+ Installed and CEL that wont clear

slobra300

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra Premium
So I have a locked ECM and while I wait on them to be cracked, I figured I'd try a JB+. There was a guy on YouTube that was in the same boat and had positive results. Anyways as soon as I installed, I am getting the following codes and after several 25 mile drives, the codes are still active; I'm unable to clear them with Bimmerlink. Any ideas?

121001 - Boost pressure sensor short circuit to positive
121201 - Boost pressure overrun; pressure too high
118001 - Mixture control: Mixture too lean.
Sponsored

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
So I have a locked ECM and while I wait on them to be cracked, I figured I'd try a JB+. There was a guy on YouTube that was in the same boat and had positive results. Anyways as soon as I installed, I am getting the following codes and after several 25 mile drives, the codes are still active; I'm unable to clear them with Bimmerlink. Any ideas?

I recommend contacting Burger Tuning directly

OP
OP
slobra300

slobra300

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes, yesterday evening I removed and and returned the engine to factory. Drove home which was about 15 miles and the CEL stayed on the whole time. Got home and tried to clear in diagnostic mode with Bimmerlink and it didnt clear. At this point I'm going to drive it some more and see if it goes away on its own / return the JB+.

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
Wow...you're like the 3-4 person to have issues with jb+...
Unfortunate because a few other guys were thinking of installing 1...

Please keep up post on what the manufacturer has to say..

Steve

OP
OP
slobra300

slobra300

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Burger told me they recommend the JB4 for the Supra and while I understand that, the JB+ is advertised to be compatible with the Supra also. I think at this point if they don't have any further recommendations, I'm just going to return it.

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
Burger told me they recommend the JB4 for the Supra and while I understand that, the JB+ is advertised to be compatible with the Supra also. I think at this point if they don't have any further recommendations, I'm just going to return it.
are you going to get the Jb4 instead?

OP
OP
slobra300

slobra300

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I will most likely return it and put the $200 towards a JB4 and just run on map 2 with stock exhaust. I really want to run a catless dp but I'm concerned about the cel and potentially doing damage to the engine. I just wish the ecm's were cracked already.

redspencer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue Supra; Track-tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken TCD
I will most likely return it and put the $200 towards a JB4 and just run on map 2 with stock exhaust. I really want to run a catless dp but I'm concerned about the cel and potentially doing damage to the engine. I just wish the ecm's were cracked already.
Did BMS offer to replace your JB+ with another unit? If you plan on eventually upgrading to a JB4, it may be worth a shot to see if the replacement JB+ is issue free before spending extra money towards the JB4, especially if you only plan on running Map 2 on pump gas.

Not all of us are having problems with the JB+ so there's still hope with the second unit should you choose to try again. In my case with my A91, I waited 30 minutes after locking the doors with the hood up before installing the JB+ and I also made sure to slowly let the ECU get acquainted with the change by keeping RPMs below 4k for a few miles before I gradually went to WOT pulls. Not sure if these precautions make a difference but so far so good with my personal experience using the JB+ with 93 octane.

Last edited:
OP
OP
slobra300

slobra300

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes they offered to replace it... Your comment has me giving that some more thought and this could be on me because I definitely did not pop the hood, lock doors, and wait 30 min. Let me get a replacement unit and do those steps and I'll report back on the outcome. To me its just odd that I cant get the code to clear through bimmerlink after returning the car to oem configuration however that could be a bimmerlink app issue, not necessarily the cars fault.

redspencer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue Supra; Track-tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken TCD
I've used apps like Torque Pro and OBD Fusion in the past to review and delete codes for my other vehicles but I haven't tested it out on the Supra to see if it works the same.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Yes they offered to replace it... Your comment has me giving that some more thought and this could be on me because I definitely did not pop the hood, lock doors, and wait 30 min. Let me get a replacement unit and do those steps and I'll report back on the outcome. To me its just odd that I cant get the code to clear through bimmerlink after returning the car to oem configuration however that could be a bimmerlink app issue, not necessarily the cars fault.
I did make sure to open the hood, lock the doors, move the keys to the other end of the house and wait a good 30 minutes. The good news for me is my CEL light cleared itself today. It was on on the way to work cleared since this morning and the drive home for lunch. I did reach out to Burger to start the return process. Here's there response:

"Thanks for reaching out. Sorry you did not have a positive experience, we don't get many of the JB+ units back.

Did you get a chance to work with our support team at all? We've seen an influx of some end users installing the JB+ in the incorrect sensor, and then once removed the issues go away.

You didn't by chance to take a photo of the install did you?"

There's only one three pronged sensor to plug this into. The other sensor that's on the intake tube near the throttle body is a two prong that would be impossible to plug into. Not sure what to think of this are you sure you plugged it in the correct sensor response...

OP
OP
slobra300

slobra300

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sorry was on vacation and just returning. I think this may be on me as I did not follow the hood and door instructions along with my key being inside. I will do the install this weekend and follow this to a T... As far as the sensor, I am positive I installed in the correct location but at any rate, thank you for the support and I hope to have this resolved this weekend. I will update once I'm there.

delita1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Z4 M40i, 2021 Rubicon Unlimited

I keep getting this one - 104302 absolute pressure sensor, intake manifold, plausibility, caster: pressure too low - triggers CEL light on car every time. Been a pain in my ass, but putting car into diagnostic mode and clearing the CEL makes it go away. Feels pretty random on when it comes back, I really don't know what's causing it truth be told.

Can someone crack this ECU already? It's NICE having the JB4 as an option but it feels like a jerry-rigged version of an actual tune.
Sponsored