2021 Navigation

Kiske

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1988 FC3S, 2015 Evo X FE, 2018 tS, 2021 A90 3.0
Anyone else get it? On week 8 without Nav.
Sponsored

Blanky

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 3.0 GR 2021 , Equinox 2021
I've been waiting like two weeks+ for my activation. I could tell my dealer had a similar issue where no one instructed them on how to initially set up the car before allowing me to drive off the lot with it. They've claimed too, like other dealers in this thread, that it'll set up on its own remotely. Based on the 2020 data and older forum posts, it sounds like map data could be GB upon GB of data, like possibly > 50GB. If the car has to download all of this in the background, losing connection or living in an area with poor connectivity could affect the speed, if I had to guess, coming from a software developer's perspective. I know for a fact I have extremely poor 4G service where I park my cars, so I wouldn't be surprised to see this activate months from now or from driving and parking at my place of work where I'll have a better roaming data connection.

Modena

First Name
Modena
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Almost 3 months now with no Navigation.
Dealer I got the car from "Forgot" to activate the navigation, can't figure it out or willing to try.
Tried 2 other dealers, don't want to touch it... Opened up a case with Toyota, back and forth email, Still no go... Great car, Great looks all I ever wanted. LOUSY Dealers here in West Palm Beach.

Last edited:

DejaVu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
I've been waiting like two weeks+ for my activation. I could tell my dealer had a similar issue where no one instructed them on how to initially set up the car before allowing me to drive off the lot with it. They've claimed too, like other dealers in this thread, that it'll set up on its own remotely. Based on the 2020 data and older forum posts, it sounds like map data could be GB upon GB of data, like possibly > 50GB. If the car has to download all of this in the background, losing connection or living in an area with poor connectivity could affect the speed, if I had to guess, coming from a software developer's perspective. I know for a fact I have extremely poor 4G service where I park my cars, so I wouldn't be surprised to see this activate months from now or from driving and parking at my place of work where I'll have a better roaming data connection.
The car cannot self activate, which is a misconception many Toyota dealers (including mine) have.

The process is roughly this.
1. Activation is requested via a website from BMW for a specific regional map for a specific VIN.
2. Typically within 24 hours or so the activation will be processed by BMW.
3. Once processed an email is sent to the requestor telling them an approximate window when the change will be live.
4. Live means BMW's backend servers have associated the regional map to the VIN (or some other unique ID) of the car.
5. Now for the critical part. A tech must connect their laptop to the car with an ODB to ethernet cable, put the car in diagnostic mode, open up ISTA and connect to the car.
6. Once connected they may either run through the PDI wizard again or just go directly to the option to activate the map.
7. The laptop MUST have decent internet connectivity.
8. Assuming there is connectivity the ISTA software will query BMW's service across the internet to see what regional map the car is registered to.
9. After a successful query, a message will be presented to the tech letting them know the navigation has been activated. Note: ISTA handles the activation.
10. The car is shutdown for 3 minutes and restarted.
11. The tech should verify Navigation is now functional.
12. There could be an error displayed to the tech during step 9. For my car it said the vehicle was not registered in the BMW system. The dealer had to call Toyota to have BWM fix their backend system. My guess is something got out of sync on my car, so even though they had an email stating an activation window, the VIN to regional map relationship never updated.

It took me getting on the phone with the service manager to explain everything above before they stopped telling me it should just turn on on it's own. Took another day for them to read the ISTA error response to me, which made everything make sense. (car can't activate if it isn't in BMWs system)

Hope this helps!

Blanky

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 3.0 GR 2021 , Equinox 2021
Have an update! Dealership got their shit together and did everything properly. We now have the nav system unlocked. Took them maybe 30 minutes top. Guess we debunked the auto unlocking system, unless it actually does download in the background which could takes weeks or months versus an easy 30 minute service trip...
Sponsored