All-new 2023 Nissan Z makes world debut!

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
I am really hoping the Nissan Z will filter out some of the non Supra enthusiasts
Never have been an "enthusiast" but I do appreciate a good sports car when one shows up!!! However, if I could write a "blank check", make mine a 911 GT3 and I would be off this forum in a heartbeat!!! I loved the MK4 Supra but when I saw that RX7, I abandoned the Supra train and bought the RX7 just because I liked it better and not because I was an RX7 "enthusiast"......

If it makes you feel better, I never liked the Z car anyway even though I thought the 300Z turbo was a good looking car. So no worries from me.

reading some of the comments here... when did we started hating on manuals?
No one????

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/is-a-manual-transmission-in-the-cards-for-the-new-supra.1384/

poll.jpg
As someone who up to the point of owning a 2021 supra only ever owned manual vehicles, I used to swear I would never in my life own an automatic. Rowing gears and having that 3rd pedal meant so much to me, or so I thought.... When I drove the Supra and saw how fast that automatic shifted and just how crisp and clean it felt, I completely stopped thinking that way. Don't get me wrong, I love manual vehicles, but I used to hate on automatics if I'm being honest. After owning this Supra and driving the piss out of it in the twisties in sport manual mode, to me it's just as fun as any manual I've ever driven. I haven't missed my manual vehicles for a single day since purchasing this Supra.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/is-a-manual-transmission-in-the-cards-for-the-new-supra.1384/

poll.jpg
Don't hate a manual, rowed 13 gears for the better part of 20 years. But it's obsolete. Like drum brakes and halogen light bulbs. And soon the ICE itself too. Just the way of things. There's no point in putting old tech into a car you're designing to compete at the top of your game. Nissan's flagship, no manual. Honda's flagship, no manual. Porsche's flagship, no manual, Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini, no manuals AT ALL. See a pattern? Manuals are for "slow" cars in the model line. Like the 86, the Civic, the Z, the Cayman, etc.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Don't hate a manual, rowed 13 gears for the better part of 20 years. But it's obsolete. Like drum brakes and halogen light bulbs. And soon the ICE itself too. Just the way of things. There's no point in putting old tech into a car you're designing to compete at the top of your game. Nissan's flagship, no manual. Honda's flagship, no manual. Porsche's flagship, no manual, Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini, no manuals AT ALL. See a pattern? Manuals are for "slow" cars in the model line. Like the 86, the Civic, the Z, the Cayman, etc.
I wouldn’t have gotten the A90 if it was manual. Just tired of driving one especially in rush hour stop n go traffic. It’s nice to have somebody change the gears for me like a Xbox game.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I am seriously tired of people talking about the A90 not having a manual especially people that has never even driven one and saying there needs to be a manual so they would buy one when they can’t even afford one....

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I am seriously tired of people talking about the A90 not having a manual especially people that has never even driven one and saying there needs to be a manual so they would buy one when they can’t even afford one....
Boom! Nail on the head.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Darn good research! Kind of in the ballpark of what I was saying. Remember this because I bought a 13B RX7 Turbo which hit the market same time as the Supra Mk4 and the 300Z turbo and Mitsu - 3000GT turbo.

Major war with dealers at the time for good reason: marketplace competition!! but then came a silent corvette killer known as the GMC Cyclone...................
Oh yeah, for us that are old enough to remember the C7 was the final nail in the coffin for the A80. :(

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Curious if the 6spd will be the same CD009 from the 350/370. Any info on the differential?

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
Elephant in the room......

Regardless of specs. such as: curb weight, HP, Torque, etc. who believes Toyota will make a price shift with the Supra to ensure these don't take away sales? Maybe 3 - 5 K more wiggle room at the dealer?

If Nissan does offer a manual, will this force Toyota's hand?
I don't put too much into published advertised power. There is a lot more to the equation. Gear ratios, power delivery, weight bias, suspension geometry, electronic launch programming, steering feel, chassis tuning, brake feel, modulation, fade resistance, perceived quality, style, etc.

I doubt Toyota would lower the MSRP. Actually they usually increase the MSRP a little every year for inflation. Car companies might add previous option packages that cost extra as standard equipment for about the same MSRP to offer more value. Or they don't charge for some options. Incentives for both dealer and customer is always an option for cars that are moving slow. Subsidized financing also. It just depends on sales forecast and take rates of cars.

I suspect a manual Z will poach a few sales from the Supra. Ultimately it will depend on how well the new Z drives overall. No one has driven one yet but on paper it sounds like it has a lot of potential.

I owned a 370Z and I did not think the chassis and brakes were much to write home about. I also owned a GTR so I know Nissan has the ability to do it. It's always a balancing act between the bean counters and engineers. Hopefully Nissan put some money into the engineering budget for the chassis. It's a great time to be a car enthusiast.

Last edited: