3rd gen G29 BMW Z4 (2019-202X)

Nurburgring

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
911 Turbo, M3 E46, Turbocharged NA Miata, S2000, Mazda FC3S & FD3S, EP91 Starlet, EK9 Type R, EG6 Sir2, AE86, 3SGE AE86, Evo7RS, F3 race car
As already mentioned, manufacturer laptimes are not comparable to Sport Auto laptimes.

A few other SportAuto tests for reference:

BMW M2 Coupe (2016) 8:01 - Yes, the non-M Z4 is beating the M2 by a fair margin. This speaks volumes.
Ferrari F430 (2006) 7:55 - Same time as Z4! Not bad company for the Z.
Dodge Viper SRT-10 (2007) 8:13 - A lousy Z4 puts to shame the mighty Viper!
Honda Civic Type R (2015) 8:15 - The 2018 TypeR is faster but IÂŽm pretty sure it would not do sub-8. Honda claims 7:43 hah!
Corvette ZR1 (2010) 7:38 - A GT350 doing 7:34 you say? More like 7:50
Sponsored

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/09/12/bmw-z4-m40i-faster-than-bmw-m2-around-nurburgring-nordschleife/

BMW Z4 M40i faster than BMW M2 around Nurburgring Nordschleife

When pre-production test drives of the new BMW Z4 M40i started to trickle out, we learned that it was a genuinely good handling car, not just some pretty roadster for hot divorcĂ©es. It’s a proper sports car. In this new video from Sport Auto, the Z4 M40i’s sport credentials are proven, as the German publication’s test driver, Christian Gebhardt, takes it to the famed Nurburgring Nordschleife.

On the Nordschleife, Gebhardt was able to set a lap time of 7:55.41. That’s about the same time that he was able to set in a 649 hp, tuned F10 BMW M5 (7:54) and he did it here in a 340 hp roadster. That’s incredibly impressive. Now, you might think that comparing the BMW Z4 M40i to an old M5 from years ago isn’t very fair. And it isn’t, as the Z4 is considerably lighter and smaller, making it more nimble.

But what about how it stacks up against another small and nimble car, maybe like the BMW M2? Well, the BMW Z4 M40i recorded a lap time six seconds faster than Gebhardt’s own in the first M2 (7:. That’s right, the little soft-top convertible roadster was six seconds faster ’round the ‘Ring than an M2. With less power, mind you.

In the video, the Z4 M40i looks good. It looks sharp and accurate and he even gets twitchy with it at some points, like a proper track car. It seems to really respond to his inputs.

What’s even crazier is that this was done at the ‘Ring, in Germany, where it only makes 340 hp. In the U.S., the BMW Z4 M40i will make 382 hp, thanks to stricter emissions regulations in Europe, which rob it of some power. So if it’s faster around the famed Green Hell than a BMW M2 with only 340 hp, what’s it going to be like ‘Stateside with 42 more ponies? We all wondered why BMW didn’t already have plans for a proper BMW Z4 M. Now we know.

ginsuown

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Nissan 350z, 2007 Honda Civic
If you figure in
I'd rather believe the word of someone who has an inside connection than just.. "figuring" a random number that I want to believe out of my head. Your number is literally out of thin air.

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
I'd rather believe the word of someone who has an inside connection than just.. "figuring" a random number that I want to believe out of my head. Your number is literally out of thin air.
Actually believing someone who doesn’t actually know is the same thing as something out of thin air. Figuring is actually math based on projected weight/power ratio and what we already know about the Z4. But you go ahead with the Jesus approach. If you’ll believe it hard enough it will become reality, science is stupid.

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4
Lol.. that’s 5 seconds slower than a civic Type R. Pathetic. Someone here was saying it maybe even faster than Shelby GT350.. where u at?

It's only 6 seconds slower to a 600hp MKIV that ran the Nurburgring in 7:49 in 97'. So that's pretty embarrassing... for the MKIV if you ask me

BlackJet

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
e90M3
Lol.. that’s 5 seconds slower than a civic Type R. Pathetic. Someone here was saying it maybe even faster than Shelby GT350.. where u at?
Actually, the Z4 M40i time by Sport Auto is 6sec faster than the Type R. Sport Auto did a 8:01 with a stock Civic Type R. The quicker factory time for Type R was done on semi-slicks, infotainment system and rear seats removed.

ginsuown

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Nissan 350z, 2007 Honda Civic
Actually believing someone who doesn’t actually know is the same thing as something out of thin air. Figuring is actually math based on projected weight/power ratio and what we already know about the Z4. But you go ahead with the Jesus approach. If you’ll believe it hard enough it will become reality, science is stupid.
I'm not denying the 0-60 calculation based on the power-to-weight. But the numbers you're starting with are incorrect. If you want to look at power-to-weight, the Cayman does 0-60 in 3.6s at ~3050lbs.

I've never disputed the z4's specs. But insider knowledge of the Supra being a couple hundred pounds lighter than the z4 is better to me than your random guess of an estimated weight.

Sure, A70 is just "saying" these things too, but he claims to have been involved in the development of the car, you have not. He's (claimed) to have ridden in the actual car, you have not. He (claims) to have access to ask the actual Toyota engineers questions, and feed us the answers. At this point it's not about debating facts, it's simply whether you believe A70 is who he says he is, or whether you are personally calling him a liar.

He doesn't know many things about the car, nor what the final car will ultimately end up to be, but there are a LOT of concrete facts about how the mules were at various stages of development that we do know. Including what I said above.

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
I'm not denying the 0-60 calculation based on the power-to-weight. But the numbers you're starting with are incorrect. If you want to look at power-to-weight, the Cayman does 0-60 in 3.6s at ~3050lbs.

I've never disputed the z4's specs. But insider knowledge of the Supra being a couple hundred pounds lighter than the z4 is better to me than your random guess of an estimated weight.

Sure, A70 is just "saying" these things too, but he claims to have been involved in the development of the car, you have not. He's (claimed) to have ridden in the actual car, you have not. He (claims) to have access to ask the actual Toyota engineers questions, and feed us the answers. At this point it's not about debating facts, it's simply whether you believe A70 is who he says he is, or whether you are personally calling him a liar.

He doesn't know many things about the car, nor what the final car will ultimately end up to be, but there are a LOT of concrete facts about how the mules were at various stages of development that we do know. Including what I said above.
He also said (multiple times) that a lot of the information he was given ended up being wrong. Not calling him a liar, but he doesn’t have credible information unfortunately. If he can’t tell us right now any facts about the car that means it’s because he doesn’t know if it’s fact or not. You can choose to believe him, I rather do my own math with information I actually have, the rest will come out in time.

As for the cayman S, see below. So assuming the Supra is 3,300kg+ with about 380hp you’ll end up with similar numbers. I don’t give 2 shits about a stripped mule that did 0-60 in 3.8 seconds, I care about the production model.

DF0C1FDC-5A76-4124-86F7-31562872CB45.jpeg

boodjohn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW
FACT: A70 said the 2950lbs mule with 350hp does 3.8s.
Shouldn't believe everything you read off the internet. Best to wait until Toyota releases statements then believing and being disappointed.

FACT: car has more power now than when he was more directly involved with the project, AKA current testing mule has >350hp.
Shouldn't believe everything you read off the internet. The supra went from 330 hp to 380 hp to +400 hp. Man, those engineers sure do know how to crank up the HP. No wonder it is taking so long to be released. Hopefully, it can reach +500 hp by next week.

FACT: very recently engineers say the weight is around 1400kg, ~3080lbs.
Who are the engineers? Toyota or BMW? You do realize a composite Iron block is not light as a feather, right?
Seats, equipment, electrical wiring and devices, and the sheer amount of sheet metal used to make this car means it will be hard to be 3000lbs - but we will dream. Maybe if it was a completely stripped down version

How do you know he/she has an inside connection?
I can create an account and say I have an inside connection by providing general facts about the car and people will follow like sheep.
"Figuring" a random number or "estimating" based off recent old platforms gives us a general direction as to where the car is going.
Believing someone because they say they have inside sources while not provided concrete credibility does not hold any weight.
Your belief in the internet is really out of thin air. Ever play telephone?

It will be hilarious if you guys get trolled.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Shouldn't believe everything you read off the internet. Best to wait until Toyota releases statements then believing and being disappointed.

Shouldn't believe everything you read off the internet. The supra went from 330 hp to 380 hp to +400 hp. Man, those engineers sure do know how to crank up the HP. No wonder it is taking so long to be released. Hopefully, it can reach +500 hp by next week.

Who are the engineers? Toyota or BMW? You do realize a composite Iron block is not light as a feather, right?
Seats, equipment, electrical wiring and devices, and the sheer amount of sheet metal used to make this car means it will be hard to be 3000lbs - but we will dream. Maybe if it was a completely stripped down version

How do you know he/she has an inside connection?
I can create an account and say I have an inside connection by providing general facts about the car and people will follow like sheep.
"Figuring" a random number or "estimating" based off recent old platforms gives us a general direction as to where the car is going.
Believing someone because they say they have inside sources while not provided concrete credibility does not hold any weight.
Your belief in the internet is really out of thin air. Ever play telephone?

It will be hilarious if you guys get trolled.
ImaginaryDeadGlobefish-size_restricted.gif
Sponsored