Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
This. It's very easy for someone to bitch and moan from their armchair about how Toyota just paid BMW to make a car but what people don't understand is that in some aspects it's probably been more difficult for Toyota to test and approve each component as it's all new to them and not from their regular suppliers. They must have gone through each nut and bolt to make sure it complies to their standards. This I'm sure has not been an easy task. It's one thing rebadging a budget car to sell in some markets and another to make an entirely new global vehicle that is going to be the brands halo vehicle for a long time. Toyota more than anyone knows what's riding on this.
I have owned an A80 for 20 years now and I have earned every right to bitch and moan from an armchair about the abomination that the A90 is. Toyota has the money the develop a proper Supra successor yet they chose the easy way out. I don’t like it, it’s a shitty move on their end and an insult to true Supra fans (not fast and furious fans). There should not be a single bmw part on that car. They should have called this car something else, there is nothing SUPRA about it. The A80 is the legend it is today for how different and surprisingly fast it was. No one expected that from TOYOTA.

Now, it’s just another whatever car that you can get from either Toyota or bmw depending on the style you prefer.

I still value real effort and respect those who reach higher. The A80 was special and unique, this is crap!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Okay, you want Supra, with all Toyota parts? Go get the LCF, costing 150k.

Toyota is doing people a favor by releasing a car in the same price as the original car. Toyota has the ability to do so but who is going to pay for that car? Why cannibalize lexus when they got rcf, lc500 etc..?

I hear a lot of bitching but little sympathy for the fact Toyota bothered to appeal to us, enthusiasts in the first place. Let alone not even driving or getting final specs and calling it basura. Come on, this isn't even a discussion, it's just a brick wall that creaks at the mention of the a90

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I have owned an A80 for 20 years now and I have earned every right to bitch and moan from an armchair about the abomination that the A90 is. Toyota has the money the develop a proper Supra predecessor yet they chose the easy way out. I don’t like it, it’s a shitty move on their end and an insult to true Supra fans (not fast and furious fans). There should not be a single bmw part on that car. They should have called this car something else, there is nothing SUPRA about it. The A80 is the legend it is today for how different and surprisingly fast it was. No one expected that from TOYOTA.

Now, it’s just another whatever car that you can get from either Toyota or bmw depending on the style you prefer.

I still value real effort and respect those who reach higher. The A80 was special and unique, this is crap!
I think you've made your point very clear, and I do think that should be respected :thumbsup:. There are many others no doubt that feel the same way. And others that feel differently.

If I may just ask a theoretical question: If this car were to be called something else; for example the Toyota SuperCoolCar, anything unrelated to an existing Toyota product; and was actually a good car (handled well, was quick enough, good tuning potential, reliable, reasonably priced), would you buy it? Or even if you're not interested in a new car, would you recommend it to somebody who was interested in a 50k-ish sports coupe they could weekend/track drive?

SVHO

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 MX5 ND, 2019 Acura RDX
Hmmm... let’s see....., the Supra has bmw everything in it pretty much, what is so hard to believe here? Besides the body, can you point out a single thing that is actually from Toyota? Think hard.
It reminds me of a Honda Passport I used to own :(.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Oh wow! SK, that's interesting. I didn't realize BMW tested there.

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
I think you've made your point very clear, and I do think that should be respected :thumbsup:. There are many others no doubt that feel the same way. And others that feel differently.

If I may just ask a theoretical question: If this car were to be called something else; for example the Toyota SuperCoolCar, anything unrelated to an existing Toyota product; and was actually a good car (handled well, was quick enough, good tuning potential, reliable, reasonably priced), would you buy it? Or even if you're not interested in a new car, would you recommend it to somebody who was interested in a 50k-ish sports coupe they could weekend/track drive?
Great questions and I have already said in past comments that this is a great looking car and it will most likely be a great little performer. For $60k+ I don’t know though, I think there are other options out there, base 4 cylinder for $50k+, it’s a little much for what it is to be honest. I see this more of a slightly used car in the mid to upper $30’s to make sense out of it. I know that not everyone cares or wants for the same thing, some people just want to drive a fast car with the Supra badge on it to feel cool because they missed out on the real deal. To me, as an A80 owner it feels like a step backwards. I would have been happy with a real Toyota A90 for $80-90k+. Would have felt like it was worth the wait. It’s not all about the money or speed for me, it’s about the pride of continuing the real Supra tradition, something truly special.

The ironic part, if I like it, I might still buy it but would never consider it a real Supra for myself. I owned bmw’s and like them, that’s not my issue. The Supra is all Toyota had for themselves, now they diluted the name, heritage and most likely future interest and value.

That’s my take on it.

Last edited:

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Great questions and I have already said in past comments that this is a great looking car and it will most likely be a great little performer. For $60k+ I don’t know though, I think there are other options out there, base 4 cylinder for $50k+, it’s a little much for what it is to be honest. I see this more of a slightly used car in the mid to upper $30’s to make sense out of it. I know that not everyone cares or wants for the same thing, some people just want to drive a fast car with the Supra badge on it to feel cool because they missed out on the real deal. To me, as an A80 owner it feels like a step backwards. I would have been happy with a real Toyota A90 for $80-90k+. Would have felt like it was worth the wait. It’s not all about the money or speed for me, it’s about the pride of continuing the real Supra tradition, something truly special.

The ironic part, if I like it, I might still buy it but would never consider it a real Supra for myself. I owned bmw’s and like them, that’s not my issue. The Supra is all Toyota had for themselves, now they diluted the name, heritage and most likely future interest and value.

That’s my take on it.
:thumbsup:

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21

That’s my take on it.
I agree with a lot or most of this post. I would have been happier I think if Toyota had called this car something different. Either way I am likely to buy one, but I don't think the Supra name was necessarily appropriate for it.

That said, in a market segment that continues to dwindle steadily, I guess it makes sense from a business perspective to use a name people know. The only hope is that it entices more people than it alienates. We shall see.

I'm still interested.

Jeff

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'14 Subaru BRZ, '12 BMW M3
I entirely agree. I was expecting a bit more, but this will do. It's missing some stuff, but no car is perfect. It fits my needs, and I'm pretty sure it will for you people too.

Also, I'm hearing way too much hate for the A90. Let's not talk crap about a car just because you were expecting it to be Toyota's Dorito Jesus legend. The wheels look bad, it has too little power, it costs too much, it's too heavy, it has BMW's cum all over it... really?

We're all sports car owners or lovers here, and we're here to appreciate and discuss them, not to insult them and each other for the smallest, most petty things. I like the Toyota Supra A90, and the rest can suck a carrot.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z4 popping up everywhere yet, the Supra is nowhere to be found on the road recently. Maybe it's leak season?

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Updated:

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/glob...ld-premiere-of-the-new-bmw-z4-in-pebble-beach

23.08.2018 Press Release

BMW to present exclusive First Edition of the new open-top sports car at the Pebble Beach Golf Links, Monterey, California.

Munich/Monterey. BMW has redefined the roadster which will be revealed under the Californian sun. On 23 August 2018, the Pebble Beach Golf Links near Monterey, the well-known venue of the Concours d’Elegance being held there a little later, will become the setting for the world premiere of the new BMW Z4. With dynamic proportions, emotional design and fascinating sportiness, the open-top two-seater will take the classic roadster concept into the world of today and tomorrow. In Pebble Beach, the Munich-based premium carmaker will present the exclusive BMW Z4 M40i First Edition (combined fuel consumption: 7.1-7.4 l/100 km; combined CO2 emissions: 162-168 g/km*). The limited special edition of the roadster inspires not only with the agility, precision and dynamic handling characteristics that are so typical of BMW M Performance models, but also with particularly sophisticated design and equipment features, including a body paintwork in Frozen Orange metallic.

The new edition of the roadster will celebrate its world premiere at precisely the same location that served as the stage for the first public presentation of the BMW Concept Z4 last year. With its puristic, dynamic and progressive design language, the concept vehicle presented a vision of a charismatic sports car which, thanks to the production model, now becomes reality. Just a glance at the new BMW Z4’s proportions leaves no doubt about its dynamic potential. The central sitting position for the driver, the low centre of gravity, perfectly balanced 50 : 50 axle load distribution, wide tracks and a compact wheelbase form the ideal prerequisites for inspiringly agile handling and intense driving pleasure.

The BMW Z4 M40i First Edition fulfils these expectations in every aspect thanks to an extremely powerful 250 kW/340 hp, straight six-cylinder engine and a sports suspension with electronically controlled dampers, M Sport braking system and an electronically controlled M Sport differential in the rear axle transmission. The BMW M Performance automobile takes a mere 4.6 seconds to sprint from a standstill to 100 km/h.

Vertically aligned headlights, the BMW kidney grille sporting a mesh design, the bonnet stretching sports car-like over the wheels, large air breathers on the front wheel arches and the distinctive spoiler integrated into the rear lid all contribute towards the characteristic look of the new BMW Z4. The design of the interior also places the focus on the puristic sportiness of the new BMW Z4. The driver-oriented cockpit styling is underscored by dynamic forward-oriented lines. Likewise, the clearly structured arrangement of all control elements enhances the focus on the driving experience inside the new BMW Z4.

Moreover, for a perfect start into a new roadster era, the new BMW Z4 M40i First Edition offers specific design and equipment features that add exclusive accents to the car’s sporty flair. The expressive body paintwork in Frozen Orange metallic is combined with an electrically operated textile soft top in anthracite with silver effect, the BMW Individual High Gloss Shadow Line, black exterior mirror caps and 19-inch light alloy wheels boasting a bicolour, double spoke design. The interior of the edition model comprises the Vernasca black leather trim with decorative stitching, electrically adjustable seats with memory function, the option ambient light and the Harman Kardon Surround Sound System. Adaptive LED headlights with matrix function for the high beam, BMW Head-Up Display featured for the first time in a roadster and the BMW Live Cockpit Professional offering the latest networking technology underpin the advanced status the tradition-steeped concept of a two-seater, open-top sports car has reached with the new BMW Z4.

The world premiere of the BMW Z4 M40i First Edition in Pebble Beach offers a both exclusive and fascinating foretaste of the forthcoming on-road debut of the new roadster generation. BMW will announce all details of further engine variants, technical innovations and the diverse equipment features of the two-seater on 19 September 2018. This will be followed a short time later by the trade fair premiere of the new BMW Z4 at the Mondial de l’Automobile (4 – 14 October 2018) in Paris. The worldwide market launch will commence in the spring of 2019.

*All performance, fuel consumption and emissions figures are provisional

CO2 EMISSIONS & CONSUMPTION.
Combined fuel consumption: 7.1-7.4 l/100 km; combined CO 2 emissions: 162-168 g/km*
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/...remiere-of-the-all-new-bmw-z4-in-pebble-beach

Promise Delivered: The World Premiere of the All-New BMW Z4 in Pebble Beach.

23.08.2018 Press Release
Pebble Beach, CA – August 23 10:30am PST…Today, BMW unveiled the all-new 2019 BMW Z4 M40i First Edition, the latest chapter in the history of BMW Z Roadsters which began thirty years ago with the production of the BMW Z1. With athletic proportions and a new emotional design language, the open-top two-seater takes the classic roadster concept into the world of tomorrow.

BMW Unveils Z4 M40i Roadster First Edition on the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance Reviewing Stand During Monterey Car Week.

Pebble Beach, CA – August 23 10:30am PST…Today, BMW unveiled the all-new 2019 BMW Z4 M40i First Edition, the latest chapter in the history of BMW Z Roadsters which began thirty years ago with the production of the BMW Z1. With athletic proportions and a new emotional design language, the open-top two-seater takes the classic roadster concept into the world of tomorrow.

The latest generation of the BMW Roadster celebrates its World Premiere at precisely the same location that served as the stage for the World Premiere of the BMW Concept Z4 last year: The Reviewing Stand of the world renowned Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance where on Sunday one outstanding automobile will be presented with the prestigious Best in Show trophy. During the presentation last year, BMW Group Design Chief Adrian van Hooydonk stated “The BMW Concept Z4 Roadster is a promise of a production version planned for the future”. That future has now arrived.

With its pure and progressive design, the BMW Concept Z4 Roadster presented a vision of a charismatic sports car which now becomes a production car reality. Just a glance at the all-new BMW Z4’s proportions leaves no doubt about its sporting potential. The central sitting position for the driver, the low center of gravity, perfectly balanced 50:50 weight distribution; the new BMW Z4 fulfils these expectations in every aspect.

Vertically stacked headlights, the BMW kidney grille sporting a mesh design, the long clamshell hood stretching over the front wheels, large air breathes on the front wheel arches and the distinctive spoiler integrated into the rear lid all contribute towards the characteristic look of the new BMW Z4. The design of the interior places the focus on the pure sports driving enjoyment of the new BMW Z4. The driver-oriented cockpit styling is underscored by dynamic forward-oriented lines. Likewise, the clearly structured arrangement of all control elements enhances the focus on the driving experience inside the new BMW Z4.

For a perfect start into a new roadster era, the new BMW Z4 M40i First Edition offers specific design and equipment features that add exclusive accents to the car’s sporty flair. The expressive body paintwork in Frozen Orange Metallic is combined with an electrically operated textile soft top in anthracite with silver effect, the BMW Individual High Gloss Shadow Line, black exterior mirror caps and 19-inch light alloy wheels boasting a two-tone, double spoke design. The interior of the First Edition model features Vernasca black leather trim with decorative stitching, electrically adjustable seats with memory function and the Harman Kardon Surround Sound System. Adaptive LED headlights, BMW Head-Up Display featured for the first time in a BMW roadster and the BMW Live Cockpit Professional with two high resolution digital displays, offering the latest networking technology underpin the advanced status of the tradition-steeped two-seater, open-top sports car interpretation that is being presented by BMW in the all-new Z4 Roadster.

Power for the new Z4 M40i First Edition Roadster is provided by an updated version of BMW’s iconic 3.0 liter inline 6-cylinder engine producing enough horsepower and torque to propel the BMW Z4 M40i from 0-60mph in under 4.4 seconds (estimated). A BMW M tuned sports suspension with electronically controlled dampers, M Sport braking system and an electronically controlled M Sport rear differential will ensure that this latest M Performance Model can carve through the twists of the Laureles Grade as effortlessly as cruising along the Pacific Coast Highway to Big Sur.

Full Z4 model details and specifications to be announced on September 18, 2018. The all-new 2019 BMW Z4 30i will arrive in U.S. BMW Centers in Spring 2019 with the BMW Z4 M40i (including the First Edition) arriving in the Second Quarter.
p90317029_highres.jpg

p90317030_highres.jpg

p90317027_highres.jpg

p90317028_highres.jpg

p90317025_highres.jpg

p90317026_highres.jpg

-bmw-z4-m40i-revealed-pictures%232&pref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&xtz=300&jv=13.8.3&bv=2.5.jpg

p90317018_highres.jpg

p90317019_highres.jpg

p90317020_highres.jpg

nuova-bmw-z4.jpg

nuova-bmw-z4.jpg

nuova-bmw-z4.jpg

nuova-bmw-z4.jpg

nuova-bmw-z4.jpg

nuova-bmw-z4.jpg

nuova-bmw-z4.jpg

nuova-bmw-z4.jpg

nuova-bmw-z4.jpg

Live photos from Bimmerpost.

View attachment 8685
View attachment 8686
View attachment 8687
View attachment 8688
View attachment 8689
View attachment 8690
View attachment 8691
View attachment 8692
View attachment 8693
View attachment 8694
View attachment 8695
View attachment 8696
View attachment 8697
View attachment 8698
View attachment 8699
View attachment 8700
View attachment 8701
View attachment 8702
View attachment 8703
View attachment 8711
View attachment 8712
View attachment 8713

Finally we have a sneak peak at the Supra's platform mate design. Take a look at how it stacks up to the Z4 concept.

z11.JPG

adf_0845.jpg

z12.JPG

adf_0871.jpg

z13.jpg

3.bild.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0