adprokid

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
--
Wow, The spied Z5 looks absolutely boring, Im ready with a very low expectations from this project, bring it on Toyota !

MotorFF

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
All these protos are giving us nothing on how the future finished product will look like. I wouldn't lose any sleep. If Lexus RC, LFA and the lil 86 are anything to base our hopes on I'm sure Supra will be a hot looking beast.
Also, I hope people understand that only like 10% of the FT-1 looks may be transferred to the production car.

Alcatraz Pig

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E36 M3
Been reading reports that the Z4 production has ended. Z5 should be along shortly then. Hope this means something for the Supra too, though still crazy we haven't seen a single prototype.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/08/31/2018-bmw-z4-back-street-testing/

Next year, the G29-generation BMW Z4 will replace the current, and aging, E89 model. The G29 BMW Z4 will be built alongside the upcoming Toyota Supra, as it’s part of the joint sports car venture between the Bavarian and Japanese brands. There’s quite a lot of hype about this car and as we approach launch time, more and more spy photos surface on the interwebs.

The heavy camouflage continues to hide the fine details, but a few things can be observed from these spy shots. The new headlights seem to squint a bit more and seem a bit more aggressive. Out back, BMW has kept the classic roadster proportions intact. While this new Z4 does look like it’s going to be a bit longer than before, it still has the long hood and short rear deck.

We also see dual exhaust pipes, one at either side of the car. This tells us that this is likely the BMW Z4 M40i variant, using the new B58 turbocharged 3.0 liter I6 engine. Most four-cylinder BMWs have two exhaust pipes side-by-side on the left side of the rear.

A possible plug-in hybrid variant is in planning stages as well which likely rules out the manual transmission option for the Z4. Hopefully, that’s not the case as BMW roadsters have a long tradition of being manual.

The BMW Z4 will be built in Graz, Austria, by Magna-Steyr.

2018-BMW-Z4-Z5.jpg

2018-BMW-Z4-Z5-image-1.jpg

2018-BMW-Z4-Z5-image-4.jpg

2018-BMW-Z4-Z5-image.jpg

2018-BMW-Z4-Z5-image-2.jpg

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
Not a fan of a Supra made by BMW M, but at least, the best BMW today will have a Toyota badge instead of a BMW badge. Time to test BMW fans: Do they drive BMW because they are such good cars or just for the badge only? Would they drive a BMW that does not have a BMW badge? I think BMW fans are just that, badge whores.

tcl

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Toyota Camry XSE V6
Not a fan of a Supra made by BMW M, but at least, the best BMW today will have a Toyota badge instead of a BMW badge. Time to test BMW fans: Do they drive BMW because they are such good cars or just for the badge only? Would they drive a BMW that does not have a BMW badge? I think BMW fans are just that, badge whores.
I've only owned one BMW in the past, a 1999 E36 M3 coupe that I factory ordered. I purchased it not for the BMW badge but for it's combination of handling and performance (it was rated by Car and Driver as one of the top handling cars in the world at that time) and for its racing heritage that started with the prior generation M3 and continued with the E36 series. I lost interest in BMW after they brought in a new lead designer who in my opinion came up with unflattering body styles for a number of years. I have no plans to buy a BMW in the future though sometimes I get the urge to see if I can find a pristine surviving example of the exact car that I purchased in 1999. That urge usually disappears when I think about the potential issues of maintaining a 17 year old car whose parts were expensive even when new.

Last edited:

Da Hmong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Impreza
I've only owned one BMW in the past, a 1999 E36 M3 coupe that I factory ordered. I purchased it not for the BMW badge but for it's combination of handling and performance (it was rated by Car and Driver as one of the top handling cars in the world at that time) and for its racing heritage that started with the prior generation M3 and continued with the E36 series. I lost interest in BMW after they brought in a new lead designer who in my opinion came up with unflattering body styles for a number of years. I have no plans to buy a BMW in the future though sometimes I get the urge to see if I can find a pristine surviving example of the exact car that I purchased in 1999. That urge usually disappears when I think about the potential issues of maintaining a 17 year old car whose parts were expensive even when new.
Are you referring to the Bangle era cars? The only current BMW that interests me is the M2. They've lost the plot with the M3/M4 IMO and the M2 is what the M3 used to be. A fun car at any speed, and not a German muscle car that trips traction control everytime you go WOT.

tcl

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Toyota Camry XSE V6
Are you referring to the Bangle era cars? The only current BMW that interests me is the M2. They've lost the plot with the M3/M4 IMO and the M2 is what the M3 used to be. A fun car at any speed, and not a German muscle car that trips traction control everytime you go WOT.
Yes, Chris Bangle's designs were the start of my turn off on the marque. Agree about the M2 being closest to the spirit of the old M3. After I retired I moved to the southwest Florida gulf coast region where almost all the roads are straight and filled with traffic from fall to spring. Driving an M2 under those conditions would frustrate me. My next sporty vehicle will probably be closer to a grand touring car than a sports car.

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
Yes, Chris Bangle's designs were the start of my turn off on the marque. Agree about the M2 being closest to the spirit of the old M3. After I retired I moved to the southwest Florida gulf coast region where almost all the roads are straight and filled with traffic from fall to spring. Driving an M2 under those conditions would frustrate me. My next sporty vehicle will probably be closer to a grand touring car than a sports car.
I actually like Bangle era and M cars under Goeschel with S54, S62, S65 and S85 engines. BMW lost it with the departure of Bangle and Goeschel. M2 is a car built by committee.

MotorFF

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
450 HP BMW Z5M Rumors Intensify as 2018 BMW Z5 Prototype Hits the Nurburgring

This week sees the Nurburgring being as busy as ever when it comes to automakers testing their upcoming models and one of the most important future development currently doing its thing on the Nordschleife is the 2018 BMW Z5.

We've shown you the Z5 on previous occasions and we can say the same about the other fruit of the BMW-Toyota sportscar collaboration, which could bring the revival of the Supra badge - as those of you following the sportscar realm know, the Bavarians are expected to stick to the open-top architecture, while Toyota should go with the fixed-roof approach to prevent cannibalization.

Nothing has been officially confirmed though - even the Z5 moniker of the sportscars we can see in these spyshots is still a tentative one.

And while the prototype is a "civilian" version of the upcoming Z4 successor, its presence on the Nordschleife makes the Z5M rumors intensify.

Nowadays, BMW's M division makes more money than ever, with most of the credit for this going to the diversification of the line-up. We've been talking about the upcoming 2018 BMW M4 facelift over the past two days, as the mid-cycle revamp is expected to spawn both a "standard" M4 and a follow-up for the M4 GTS, which gets the M4 CS tentative nameplate.

The N55 twin-turbo 3.0-liter straight-six powering those cars could also make it under the hood of the recently-spied M2 CS, but that's not all. The powerplant should also end up animating the Z5 range-topper, along with the obvious M badge.

As for the hp number of the possible Z5 M, the open-top proposal should sit at about 450 hp. However, we still have to wait for the two-seater to enter a more advanced development stage before we can get our hands on a spyshot clue towards this side of the Z4 successor story. Meanwhile, we're inviting you to pay close attention to these Ring photos, as the overly camouflaged prototype demands such an attitude.
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/4...z5-prototype-hits-the-nurburgring-111633.html

OP
OP
black-supra

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
2018 BMW ‘Z5’ spotted at Nurburgring, interesting aero kit

Following the recent spotting of the new Toyota Supra at the Nurburgring, it seems BMW is readying its version of the car expected to adopt a ‘Z5’ nameplate.

It’s understood BMW and Toyota are co-developing both sports cars simultaneously, likely sharing some major components. The fact that a test mule of Toyota’s new Supra was seen leaving BMW’s workshop near the Nurburgring means BMW might have a fairly big influence on the car.

As for the BMW Z5, this is set to come in as the replacement for the Z4 convertible. It’s believed it will launch in convertible form, at least initially, with the potential for a coupe to arrive further down the track.

This is the first time a prototype has been seen out on the Nurburgring conducting pretty serious testing laps. It likely means the company is well into development stages and is probably now fine-tuning and finding the right balance for the setup.

By the looks of it the Z5 will showcase some interesting aero features, including front winglets on the lower bumper bar – albeit nicer designs than those seen on this prototype – as well as an active rear wing to help with high-speed stability and under braking.

The German and Japanese models are likely to go separate ways in terms of powertrain options. BMW will probably implant its range of turbocharged four- and six-cylinder engines, while Toyota is expected to present a hybrid formula. Of course, there is a chance both companies will combine their strongest attributes in the area of engine development.

According to reports both the Supra and Z5 will be produced in the same Magna Steyr factory in Austria. More details are anticipated to be announced later this year. Click play below for a preview of what to expect from the Beemer.
http://performancedrive.com.au/2018-bmw-z5-spotted-nurburgring-interesting-aero-kit-video-2619/

__WRC__

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
325i
Wow surprised to see the Z5 with front canards and active rear wing. Current Z4 has always been an executive luxury roadster so it's good to see the Z5 has much sportier intentions. I'd be surprised to see these things on a base model though... canards are pretty aggressive and might turn off the average roadster buyer.

Article says a coupe version might come but I personally think the two companies probably have an agreement that one makes the roadster and the other makes a coupe based off this platform.
Sponsored