8HP51 DIY Rebuild Inquiry

ILOVEBMWENGINEERING

First Name
Silly Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G22 M440 , G20 M340
I have found a complete 8HP51 (15k miles) locally out of a 2021 GR Supra for 1k with torque converter and valve body. Seller claims car had a error on the dash and sometimes gets stuck in second gear (could it be first gear lockout?) and sometimes performed normally. No metal shavings and clean oil. I am a hobbyist and I love to build and repair for fun. I have worked on plenty new BMW's but never opened one up. Regardless I am fearless, I would love to rebuild this transmission to keep me busy, like I said this will be for fun. I have a X-Drive M440i which is a lease, and I can already imagine how many other things I'd have to change to turn my car rwd, but that's not my goal. I would like to learn something and maybe this will work out or maybe I'll break everything and it'll never go back together but I won't be too upset. The reasoning for this post is to see if anyone has any info that would be helpful. I have a 3000 something page 2020 GR Supra service manual, I guess it might be enough. I would really love a service manual from ZF itself or perhaps anyone else has personal experience? I wish puredrivetrain or another rebuilder would share the steps but I know obviously that would defeat the purpose of their business. I will buy all the special service tools and pretty much tear this thing down to nothing and rebuild and replace whatever I see could be the issue. My friend tells me there is some crazy tools that plug into the transmission so I can test it without finding a friend car to bother and throw this in. I will most likely replace the clutch packs just for the hell of it, even though on my M340 I had clutch slipping issues from running 600whp, and it would never lock me in a gear, so I don't think its that. Can someone tell me if I'm being outrageous for thinking about attempting this, being a unofficial, weekend mechanic for my friends, and how much would this thing be worth if it were good? (Will I lose money) What else will I need to replace just because it cannot be reused. I know this post is a mess of questions and concerns, I appreciate any and every bit of advice I can get.
Best Regards to the SupraMKV Forums!
Sponsored

OP
OP

ILOVEBMWENGINEERING

First Name
Silly Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G22 M440 , G20 M340

Rustyscrew

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Tundra, 21 Supra, 66 VW Bus
PDS sells DIY kits. So I'm sure if you spoke with them, they would be helpful. Also if you're in NY they are close to you in LI, so maybe you could go in person and get some helpful tips from them.
Sponsored