A90 A91 what's the difference?

Jackyl tm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Edition, C230, Mazda Protege
So with a lot of confusion over this I decided to make a quick little video about the differences. Thanks for checking it out! Would mean the world to me if you gave it a like and or subscribe

Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
So with a lot of confusion over this I decided to make a quick little video about the differences. Thanks for checking it out! Would mean the world to me if you gave it a like and or subscribe

I didn't watch the whole thing yet, but I watch enough to know you got it right. I'm just going to post this video when every someone is confused.

Thanks, Tim.

Mk5Frank

First Name
franklin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 type r, 2021 supra
What’s the difference ? Basically nothing lol ?

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
I'm still going to use A90 for 2020 2 ports and A91 for 2021+ 6 port engines. As I posted before:

It's easier to defer to A90 for the 2 port cars and A91 for the 6 port cars. Most shops that work on these platforms do that.

For me, "A91 Edition" and "A91 CF Edition" are the actual names of the "special editons" of 2021+ cars used to squeeze more money out of consumers.

And for those that really want to be technical...

USA 2020 Model = J29 DB43 (B58 engine)
USA 2021+ Models = J29 DB03 (B58H engine)

And it gets even more granular than that.

It's just easier to say A90 or A91 without standing there having to fumble around with words/model year to explain the car.

I don't see why people are so defensive over it. It really isn't special and 30 years down the road it won't even add value to the car. Most collectors won't even care. Just like most of them don't care about the 1997 Anniversary Edition Supra.

Also the OEM A91 Edition duck bill spoiler isn't CF. It's just reinforced plastic and wood.

Last edited:

Mk5Frank

First Name
franklin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 type r, 2021 supra
I'm still going to use A90 for 2020 2 ports and A91 for 2021+ 6 port engines. As I posted before:

It's easier to defer to A90 for the 2 port cars and A91 for the 6 port cars. Most shops that work on these platforms do that.

For me, "A91 Edition" and "A91 CF Edition" are the actual names of the "special editons" of 2021+ cars used to squeeze more money out of consumers.

It's just easier to say A90 or A91 without standing there having to fumble around with words/model year to explain the car.
it Should of been this way.

a91 is the updated 6 port

and whatever special editions is just special editions

OP
OP
Jackyl tm

Jackyl tm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

I don't see why people are so defensive over it. It really isn't special and 30 years down the road it won't even add value to the car. Most collectors won't even care. Just like most of them don't care about the 1997 Anniversary Edition Supra.

Also the OEM A91 Edition duck bill spoiler isn't CF. It's just reinforced plastic and wood.

You do realize that you said it is "A91 Edition" as the technical term. With that being said if A91 is just 2021 and after it is just "edition" by what you said. Which makes no sense. A91 is simply Toyotas moniker for special editions. That's why it is A91 Edition. As you even said.

Also the lip spoiler is carbon fiber over the wood to bolt in and painted satin black. It even is listed on Toyotas website. So you can always talk to them about it. Sorry my video was taken from actual owners experience and with facts from Toyota themselves.

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
You do realize that you said it is "A91 Edition" as the technical term. With that being said if A91 is just 2021 and after it is just "edition" by what you said. Which makes no sense. A91 is simply Toyotas moniker for special editions. That's why it is A91 Edition. As you even said.

Also the lip spoiler is carbon fiber over the wood to bolt in and painted satin black. It even is listed on Toyotas website. So you can always talk to them about it. Sorry my video was taken from actual owners experience and with facts from Toyota themselves.
Like I stated before, myself and others use the tags to easily differentiate between the mechanical differences. It's just easier when working on the platform. Saying "A90 6-port" and "A90 2-port" works just as well I guess, but I'm too lazy for that.

It's cool that people take pride in their special editions, but it seems weird that some get so stand-offish over the way others utilize the various monikers for this car.

I've installed the spoiler on my car 3 different times and have prepped/painted it twice. The outside is plastic. I know that Toyota marketed it as a carbon fiber piece. If there is any CF, then it's only being used to reinforce the plastic from behind.

I'd be glad to eat crow if someone has physical proof to say otherwise.

OP
OP
Jackyl tm

Jackyl tm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Like I stated before, myself and others use the tags to easily differentiate between the mechanical differences. It's just easier when working on the platform. Saying "A90 6-port" and "A90 2-port" works just as well I guess, but I'm too lazy for that.

It's cool that people take pride in their special editions, but it seems weird that some get so stand-offish over the way others utilize the various monikers for this car.

I've installed the spoiler on my car 3 different times and have prepped/painted it twice. The outside is plastic. I know that Toyota marketed it as a carbon fiber piece. If there is any CF, then it's only being used to reinforce the plastic from behind.

I'd be glad to eat crow if someone has physical proof to say otherwise.
I understand completely. I really wish they would have done it a lot differently with the whole naming situation. And like in the video, there really isn't much difference between the two. Only one that really can't do on the others is the blue stitching through out. I got mine for the simple fact I wanted the most unique one I could get since I was paying all that money for one.

yellowman

First Name
evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 C.F edition 2021 jeep GC
Just get in and drive. Who cares about the rest. Both models pin ya to the seat and women dig the car.