What's after the Supra?

Stardust

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 Miata
Highly considering a 991.1/2; anyone here went that route?
If so, how do you like it? And is there anything you miss from the supra?

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
I just had my 3 year anniversary with the Supra last week. This is the longest I've kept a car in well over a decade. I really can't think of anything I'd replace it with though. A few come to mind, but there aren't enough pros to make the jump for me...at least for the price. I was lucky enough to grab mine in late summer of 2020 when the prices were still under MSRP along with some added discounts.

Weeding out the great ones that are well over $100K - Any 911, the GT4 RS and the C8 Z06 - there are quite a few choices for at or just below $100K - The GT4, the C8 Stingray Z51, the new Emira, the venerable F-Type R and the new M4 Competition.

1. GT4... A great driver's car. Pure, mid-engine balanced performance. But at twice the price of the Supra and slower, the ownership and maintenance costs are definitely a premium above the BMW/Toyota product. I wish I could justify it.

2. Emira... Sexy and mid-engine with Lotus heritage handling. But also Lotus heritage ownership costs and reliability issues. Maybe after a couple of years of teething issues, who knows.

3. C8 Z51 2LT... I actually drove one from Turo for the weekend around the mountains in Topanga, CA. It felt great! Drove like a much smaller car without the sacrifice in comfort. Definitely a contender...if I could only bring myself to owning a Corvette. I've always liked Vettes, but never considered myself a Vette guy.

4. F-Type R... Love the looks and sounds - especially that supercharged V8! One of the sexiest cars on the affordable side of Aston Martin. I've head about issues though, sadly.

5. M4... Just too big and heavy for my tastes. Plus it just looks like a big generic BMW coupe - nothing visually exciting.

Well under $100K and comparable to the Supra, price-wise, but sadly used only - the R8, the TT-RS and my all-time dream car, the NA1 NSX.

1. R8 V10... the looks, sounds, mid-engine supercar. This one probably gets the most looks out of the entire list...especially while dating back to 2006 when it was introduced! However, ownership and maintenance costs are off-putting. I drove a 2012 V8 version and it didn't feel as special as it looked and sounded. I wonder if the V10 is more magical?

2. TT-RS... that 5-cyl sound and sharp looks, like a mini R8. I might consider it if I lived in or had to move to an area where AWD would be beneficial though. But it would be a Supra replacement and not really an upgrade, even considering the price bump for a used car.

3. Lastly, the NSX... no, not the hybrid, the manual one with the (must-have) pop-up headlights, of course! Still, between $70K and $150K for a 30 year old car is very hard to swallow! As special as it is, I doubt I'd be able to daily one. More like an investment than a track toy.

Feel free to share thoughts, opinions and actual ownership experiences! :thumbsup:

BraveDemon

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra; 19 TTRS; 19 Velar P380 HSE; 15 GLA45 AMG
I just had my 3 year anniversary with the Supra last week. This is the longest I've kept a car in well over a decade. I really can't think of anything I'd replace it with though. A few come to mind, but there aren't enough pros to make the jump for me...at least for the price. I was lucky enough to grab mine in late summer of 2020 when the prices were still under MSRP along with some added discounts.

2. TT-RS... that 5-cyl sound and sharp looks, like a mini R8. I might consider it if I lived in or had to move to an area where AWD would be beneficial though. But it would be a Supra replacement and not really an upgrade, even considering the price bump for a used car.
Feel free to share thoughts, opinions and actual ownership experiences! :thumbsup:
Just being honest, but you will be disappointed if you replace the Supra with the TTRS. It’s a great car to have alongside the Supra, but not a good replacement for it in my opinion.

The TTRS is a great street and drag car and that’s it. It is basically a cracked out shortened wheel base Golf R and so that’s how it drives/handles - it will never go sideways.

The 5 cylinder is glorious though and yeah from a stop it is fast. I got this primarily as a drag racer with plans to go Stage 2 eventually. Supra is for HPDE and auto cross after it’s out of warranty.

Be warned Audi does some bullshit like lock out LC after 200 launches (need to TCU tune or get a new mechatronics for $2k to reset the counter) so do your research if serious about the TTRS.

Last edited:

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
Just being honest, but you will be disappointed if you replace the Supra with the TTRS. It’s a great car to have alongside the Supra, but not a good replacement for it in my opinion.

The TTRS is a great street and drag car and that’s it. It is basically a cracked out shortened wheel base Golf R and so that’s how it drives/handles - it will never go sideways.

The 5 cylinder is glorious though and yeah from a stop it is fast. I got this primarily as a drag racer with plans to go APR Stage 2 eventually. Supra is for HPDE and auto cross after it’s out of warranty.

Be warned Audi does some bullshit like lock out LC after 200 launches (need to TCU tune or get a new mechatronics for $2k to reset the counter) so do your research if serious about the TTRS.
Great info. Appreciate it. Thank you!

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
My next dream car is this:
Screenshot_20230727_231344_Chrome.png
Late to the party, bit I had an older Vantage and highly recommend them. Such great cars And it's really nice to be rolling around in something that not many other people have.
If I ever decide to sell my classic car, I can't decide between a GT3 and another Aston. I can get a '21 or '22 Aston for what a 2016 GT3 will cost me. 🤦🏼

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0

The 5 cylinder is glorious though and yeah from a stop it is fast. I got this primarily as a drag racer with plans to go APR Stage 2 eventually. Supra is for HPDE and auto cross after it’s out of warranty.

Woah, that's insane, I never knew that?! It reminds me of when Nissan was voiding warranties if they determined you used LC, back when it was first introduced. Thanks for that info, I'm looking it up now haha. The TTRS, always intrigued me as a quick drag/street sleeper.

BraveDemon

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra; 19 TTRS; 19 Velar P380 HSE; 15 GLA45 AMG
@SuupYota Yeah i remember the early days of the R35, Nissan was voiding warranties for using LC. Made no sense a feature they put in the car and touted would void your warranty.

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
G80 comp x drive for sure. Dad live plus speed. Just want an S58

DrSupra

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT
I almost went for a ZL1 1LE instead of the Supra. I suspect that by the time I would move on from the Supra, the ZL1s will be selling for more than they were selling for new (since that seems to be the trend for the manual C7s now that they're out of production) and that the time to buy would have been in January when I got the Supra. If that's the case, I may look into a c7 grandsport with a manual or a Z06. Clearly, it looks like I have a thing for American cars, but it's more the performance to dollar ratio they each they offer and what is relatively inexpensive maintenance to something like a Porsche or anything exotic. In a somewhat contradictory statement, I'll say I had a hard time getting over the build quality and the concept of spending 75K on a Camaro though the performance those 1LEs offers is just silly.

I appreciate and grow to love the Supra every day that passes...which is unusual for me to say because I usually get bored easily. The flip side to that is I'm racking up the miles really quickly.

Ace of Laces

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
14’ Benz C350, 20' Porsche Taycan 4S, 23' MT Supra
I think the rational route is to go for a 911 as long as it has a manual in it preferably 992 or newer. I do want to switch my winter car to a Civic Type R first however
Sponsored