A90 Supra engines and parts diagrams (all) revealed!

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
The casted turbo port design is becoming increasingly common these days as it is vastly more space and cost efficient than a traditional individual-port+manifold design. Some motors will have a single port, but since this motor utilizes a twin-scroll turbo, it has two ports. Some manufacturers, like Mazda, even go so far as to create variable exhaust ports to increase exhaust gas speed, similarly to a SP Quick Spool Valve that you'll see on a 2JZ:

pzf5j0q9afibcmjhgysu.jpg
Sponsored

mrarm

First Name
Franck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The casted turbo port design is becoming increasingly common these days as it is vastly more space and cost efficient than a traditional individual-port+manifold design. Some motors will have a single port, but since this motor utilizes a twin-scroll turbo, it has two ports. Some manufacturers, like Mazda, even go so far as to create variable exhaust ports to increase exhaust gas speed, similarly to a SP Quick Spool Valve that you'll see on a 2JZ:

pzf5j0q9afibcmjhgysu.jpg
Interesting but for the cooled exhaust manifold what is its usefulness? :dunno:

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase

pzf5j0q9afibcmjhgysu.jpg
I understand why manufacturers do it...im shocked that it's done on this particular car. On a Mazda, no one cares because the people buying those cars will barely ever do anything outside of changing their oil and filling up gas. However, for a Supra....mmmmm....this is a big deal. For one thing, any big power upgrades to the exhaust ports will surely mean permanently boring out the two ports...which are restrictive by nature. I don't see those exhaust ports putting out more volume of exhaust gases than indifivual (6 port) exhaust ports. Does this mean potentially boring out the two ports to open one big rectangular port connecting the two banks together on the head??? Ughhh.....goodbye cylinder head structural integrity.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
My VR30DDTT is the same way (Q50 Red Sport)

If a new Z is made and it uses a VR, I'm sure it will be the same... GTR too honestly.

New Honda Civic Type-R, same thing.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My VR30DDTT is the same way (Q50 Red Sport)

If a new Z is made and it uses a VR, I'm sure it will be the same... GTR too honestly.

New Honda Civic Type-R, same thing.
The GTR had to stay away from this (R35 at least)....that is why the exhaust manifold has the turbo integrated into it. It gives the tuner alot more flexibility if they are going for big power later on. Simply take the turbo off, and bolt on new manifold and your choice of turbo.

Honestly, I will be shocked and amazed if Nissan does this on their GTR....the Z, ehhh....wouldn't surprise me. However, the GTR....pretty sure cost efficiency is the least of their concerns when designing the engine. Also, don't forget...having two cylinder heads is a different story in a V type engine for Siamese ports....less structural effects than a single head.

Last edited:

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A70TTR, what is the mood like at Toyota, if you don’t mind me asking?

I mean, are people pretty disappointed in the car overall or are they excited? Like, I remember when the Viper team found out that a 5th gen Viper was going to be developed and how much better it was going to be than the 4th gen. There was this great level of enthusiasm and pride at Chrysler’s SRT division...and for good reason.

Do you see this now at Toyota? Be honest...

Rotaryrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda RX 8
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not into all this engine guru stuff but maybe you guys can help me if I get this right?

The new supra really gets an old BMW engine as the s55 is the new one that we wanted, and an old BMW interior used in the outgoing 235?

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
A70TTR, what is the mood like at Toyota, if you don’t mind me asking?

I mean, are people pretty disappointed in the car overall or are they excited? Like, I remember when the Viper team found out that a 5th gen Viper was going to be developed and how much better it was going to be than the 4th gen. There was this great level of enthusiasm and pride at Chrysler’s SRT division...and for good reason.

Do you see this now at Toyota? Be honest...
I'm at Lexus, and we love what we do over here :)

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
I'm with A70, I think this was unintentional. Someone messed up big time. This is Toyota we're talking about. The unveiling is still more then 3 months away. Also they were super secretive about the FT1.

Illsic_Design

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E92 335i N54, 4G63T Mighty Max
I'm not into all this engine guru stuff but maybe you guys can help me if I get this right?

The new supra really gets an old BMW engine as the s55 is the new one that we wanted, and an old BMW interior used in the outgoing 235?
No, this isn't an old engine, this is their 2nd newest 6cylinder design with a brand new head design(newest being S58 which isn't even out yet in production). People wanted the S58, but it isn't out and guarantee BMW would never give it to Toyota. No one wanted the S55, that is an old engine design soon to be phased out.
Sponsored