AMS catted downpipe issue on 2021

jorligan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ferrari 458, McLaren 650S, Porsche GT3, Alfa 4C, Ford Raptor, Porsche Macan, 21 Supra Turbo
I will post picture after I get home. Currently on vacation. No issue if I remember correctly. As an aside, there is another bracket, What is it for? I don't have it installed and everything appears connected. Possibly a bracket for stock intake? I have the AMS CAI.

OP
OP
KBG

KBG

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I will post picture after I get home. Currently on vacation. No issue if I remember correctly. As an aside, there is another bracket, What is it for? I don't have it installed and everything appears connected. Possibly a bracket for stock intake? I have the AMS CAI.
If you are referring to the bracket that came with the downpipe, it's used at the location where the downpipe meets the exhaust system. You add the new bracket to the factory exhaust mount, rotate the body mount 90 degrees and attach the exhaust to it.

jorligan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ferrari 458, McLaren 650S, Porsche GT3, Alfa 4C, Ford Raptor, Porsche Macan, 21 Supra Turbo
Thats it. Thanks

Romel Roze

First Name
Romel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
Small update: AMS asked that the downpipe be sent back to them to see what's going on (possible one off issue as I've heard of other '21s running their catted DP). I've been working with Alex and Daniel @ Speed Industry and the plan is for them to send me an A.A. downpipe as a replacement.
I have a 2020 Supra and went with the AA catted downpipe! So far, so good.

theguysmiley

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, Nitro Yellow
I have the SAME issue (on a 2021), and I sent in a message to Alex so R&D can "have a look at it." I have not received a response in a few days now, so I was wondering what is going on. Here are pics of my install. Mine also has only about 1/8th of an inch from the transmission bell housing when installed correctly. Tight squeeze.
PXL_20210329_213615542.jpg
PXL_20210329_214633527.jpg
download_20210329_154741.jpg

jorligan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Checked mine. There is NOT plenty of clearance between the top O2 sensor and exhaust manifold, about 1/8th inch. I suspect that because of the change in exhaust manifold between the 20 and 21, the clearance is less. This is the same issue that Verus had with the heat shield. The Verus heat shield is different between the 20 and 21. Don't know if there will be long term impact between the clearance. There is no rubbing.

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
I have the SAME issue (on a 2021), and I sent in a message to Alex so R&D can "have a look at it." I have not received a response in a few days now, so I was wondering what is going on. Here are pics of my install. Mine also has only about 1/8th of an inch from the transmission bell housing when installed correctly. Tight squeeze.
keep us updated please

theguysmiley

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
keep us updated please
Alex just got back to me and said that R&D is actively working on it, and he will report back. I will keep you posted. I wonder if the 2021 exhaust manifold is longer, and that makes it so they don't fit as well. Just a theory. On my install I had about an eighth of an inch from the exhaust manifold, and an eighth of an inch from the transmission bell housing, but it's pretty dang close.

OP
OP
KBG

KBG

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Alex just got back to me and said that R&D is actively working on it, and he will report back. I will keep you posted. I wonder if the 2021 exhaust manifold is longer, and that makes it so they don't fit as well. Just a theory. On my install I had about an eighth of an inch from the exhaust manifold, and an eighth of an inch from the transmission bell housing, but it's pretty dang close.
I received the same response. The 21's have a 6 port manifold so it's different for sure but the stock downpipe carries the same part number between 20 and 21 from what I'm told.

Last edited:

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
:thumbsup:

OP
OP
KBG

KBG

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
No updates on AMS changing anything with the downpipe for the 2021s but I have to give them big kudos as they did reimburse me for my failed install.

On a side note, kudos to Speed Industry as well for all of their help as they were able to procure me an AA downpipe which was installed this morning.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
I received the same response. The 21's have a 6 port manifold so it's different for sure but the stock downpipe carries the same part number between 20 and 21 from what I'm told.
I do metal recycling so I am always buying 20 and 21 supra downpipes, While from the outside they definitely look similar, I can guarantee that they are in fact NOT the same part number, 20 ending in 890, and 21 being 701. so ya, not the same downpipe

theguysmiley

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
No updates on AMS changing anything with the downpipe for the 2021s but I have to give them big kudos as they did reimburse me for my failed install.

On a side note, kudos to Speed Industry as well for all of their help as they were able to procure me an AA downpipe which was installed this morning.
That's good, man! I will need to reach out to AMS again. They still haven't responded with a solution. I bought mine through Speed Industry, but I haven't reached out to them about the issue yet.

theguysmiley

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
keep us updated please
Hey guys, heres my official response from AMS. Looks like an updated design will be out in the coming weeks:

From Alex - "It has been brought to my attention that the welding Jig has been modified to better accommodate the change from 2 port to 6 port. The timeframe for completion in fabrication is about a month. I will reach out when the new downpipes are complete and we will facilitate an exchange for you! Thank you for the information you have provided throughout this process. We appreciate it and we apologize for the inconvenience!"
Sponsored