Another “How do I do something simple?” On 2021 Supra...

Wackit

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0
Well again I am posting on how do I do something that should be so simple...
So I back into my garage, open the car door with the engine running to see if I am almost to the very back of the part where I can stop. (I know, sensors are going off like crazy but I need every inch of space) and then put car in park, set brake and push button to turn car off. The engine turns off but all the controls like dash, radio, instruments etc. are still on. I close the door and still the radio and dash info is on. Nothing will turn off unless I click lock button on key fob. But I don’t want to lock the car inside of my garage, I go in there throughout the day to get things. I’ve tried hitting the off switch on the dash 2 or 3 times, I’ve tried holding it down for 5 seconds, nothing will turn off the electronics after I close the door unless I hit the lock button
I should note everything works fine if I do not open the door before I turn it off. The car instrumentation and radio will shut off when I open the door. But WTF? It shouldn’t be this hard to turn off a car after I open the door when the car was running And now engine is off.
Sponsored

Last edited:

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
There is a power off button (feature) on my car. It’s a button I press on the center console and the screen asks power off car.. or something. I’m a simple guy.

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
There is a power off button (feature) on my car. It’s a button I press on the center console and the screen asks power off car.. or something. I’m a simple guy.
This - you can turn it off through infotainment. Or you could just lock it... which I think is simpler, and it will definitely turn everything off. You don't need to do it via the remote - just touch the handle of the car and walk away. :dunno:

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
In vehicle settings choose the option to power off when the doors open. Easy peasy and works every time. I can't recall the exact terms used and I'm not where the car is at the moment or I'd look it up. Sorry. Just look around in the menus where you do the door settings and such and you'll find it.

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Ford Fiesta; BMW M3 CS (G80) Waitlist
Wait six minutes with the door closed and then look through the window to make sure it's off (it should be). Alternatively hold down the power/volume button on the radio panel for 3 seconds before you get out of the car. I like to lock my car even when parked in the garage so my mirrors fold, but I certainly understand why you might not.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
In vehicle settings choose the option to power off when the doors open. Easy peasy and works every time. I can't recall the exact terms used and I'm not where the car is at the moment or I'd look it up. Sorry. Just look around in the menus where you do the door settings and such and you'll find it.
OK, so I'm back home now. I checked the actual settings. Simply go to vehicle settings, doors/key, then scroll down near the bottom and check the box that says "turn off after door opening". Simple as that. Whenever you stop the car, turn off the engine and then open the door to get out, everything shuts off.

The better question is why on earth do we have to enable this setting, or hold the power down for three seconds, or lock the doors when parked in our own already locked garage in order to shut everything down?? I can't for the life of me think of any situation where I would intentionally want my car to keep everything on after I've arrived, gotten out, and shut the doors. This is the only car I've seen in my almost 40 years of driving that doesn't turn off and shut everything down when I turn it off and get out. Stupid as far as I'm concerned but at least it's easy to change that setting...

OP
OP
Wackit

Wackit

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0
OK, so I'm back home now. I checked the actual settings. Simply go to vehicle settings, doors/key, then scroll down near the bottom and check the box that says "turn off after door opening". Simple as that. Whenever you stop the car, turn off the engine and then open the door to get out, everything shuts off.

The better question is why on earth do we have to enable this setting, or hold the power down for three seconds, or lock the doors when parked in our own already locked garage in order to shut everything down?? I can't for the life of me think of any situation where I would intentionally want my car to keep everything on after I've arrived, gotten out, and shut the doors. This is the only car I've seen in my almost 40 years of driving that doesn't turn off and shut everything down when I turn it off and get out. Stupid as far as I'm concerned but at least it's easy to change that setting...
Hey, thanks very much for the info. You’re right about why we need to go through all this. I’m the one who also posted that I can’t put car in neutral with the engine off and accessories on. It’s a whole different era of tech. I love tech, that’s a big reason I bought this car. It’s just that some things they (manufactures) program make no sense what so ever.

Ivan27

First Name
Constantine
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2018 4Runner Limited
So, I learned this can be done multiple ways. When I park the car in the garage and push on/off button to turn off and open door, everything powers down, but there's the hazard light still on, and light switch where you tun light on off, auto so on and so on, which goes off after a couple minutes . Now when I have to go into the Supra for something, yes system comes on. All I do before closing the door is hit option button, and scroll to turn off vehicle. Or I can push radio button. Now with that said, if I open passenger door, I don't have to go through this process.

OP
OP
Wackit

Wackit

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0
So, I learned this can be done multiple ways. When I park the car in the garage and push on/off button to turn off and open door, everything powers down, but there's the hazard light still on, and light switch where you tun light on off, auto so on and so on, which goes off after a couple minutes . Now when I have to go into the Supra for something, yes system comes on. All I do before closing the door is hit option button, and scroll to turn off vehicle. Or I can push radio button. Now with that said, if I open passenger door, I don't have to go through this process.
Thanks, I’ll try the option button. Hmm. I do hit the radio button, all it does is mutes the radio. I then close the door and all the instrumentation is still on...speedometer, rpm lights etc. crazy that some engineers got paid to devise this. I have to go into menus to power the car down after I turn it off and close the door? This is why Apple is a success....everything they do is simple and makes sense.

Ivan27

First Name
Constantine
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2018 4Runner Limited
Thanks, I’ll try the option button. Hmm. I do hit the radio button, all it does is mutes the radio. I then close the door and all the instrumentation is still on...speedometer, rpm lights etc. crazy that some engineers got paid to devise this. I have to go into menus to power the car down after I turn it off and close the door? This is why Apple is a success....everything they do is simple and makes sense.
Yeah, those all go off at about 5 or 10 minutes.

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
dont just press the volume button, you gotta hold it down for 3 secs to turn off the electronics. No need to go into any menus.

Doesn’t anyone read the manual as a new owner anymore?

Bundy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra A90, 2021 Subaru Outback
Doesn’t anyone read the manual as a new owner anymore?
No, but they are fine with putting hours on Youtube to search for the same answers given in the manual. Kids today;)
Sponsored