How do I get 2021 Supra out of park?

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
I meant after putting it in neutral. My previous cars all had manual e brakes. So I'm trying to figure out how one can disengage the electronic e brake without turning on the car. I guess what I meant to ask is, how can you push and roll your car if you can't start the car to disengage the electronic e brake šŸ˜…
When I crashed mine, the electronic parking brake automatically applied, and we couldn't figure out any electronic or manual procedures to disengage it. So later on I decided to do the homework, and you have to remove the rear wheels and use an allen wrench/socket to twist a bolt on the back of the actuators. I'll find and post it up in a bit..
Sponsored

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Well damn, thatā€™s new to me.

-RJM
Yeah, we can all bask in the glow of the suckitude together. Even if I had known this at the time, I still wouldn't be able to do anything about it, so it was getting dragged across the pavement and onto the flatbed either way. Lame.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
Here you go, good luck getting to the bolt.

-RJM

Where is the ZF 8-Speed Neutral Safety Switch Bypass Located?
The ZF 8HP neutral safety switch bypass can be found on the bottom of the transmission; there's a bolt positioned below a small foot that comes out of the transmission. That little foot is the manual neutral safety switch bypass. Depending on your vehicle, the location of this bolt could be obscured by various belly pans/plastic panels. You will need to remove these to gain access.
As you rotate the bolt to the right, the foot will move upward. As you push the foot up, the transmission will click into neutral, allowing the car to roll freely.

Tools Needed to Put The ZF 8-Speed Transmission in Neutral:

How to Put The ZF 8-Speed in Neutral:

First start by safely lifting the car in the air. We always advise using a quality floor jack and jack stands to support the vehicle. Once it is in the air, you need to gain access to the transmission. Depending on the car in question, this could be behind belly pans or covers.
Once you've gained access to the transmission, locate the hex-head bolt. Use a 5mm hex bit socket on a ratchet to rotate the bolt to the right. Listen for a click as you move the foot up. The click indicates that the transmission is no longer in park, and the car will roll freely.
0&name=01-TechTip-ZF-8HP-Manual_Neutral_Engagement.jpg

0&name=02-TechTip-ZF-8HP-Manual_Neutral_Engagement.jpg

After the transmission clicks into neutral, loosen the bolt until there is a gap between the bolt and foot. The transmission will stay in neutral and will be able to be shifted into park with a charged battery. Leaving the bolt tightened will prevent the car from being shifted into park once it is charged.

Unless you got lucky. Most if not all Supras do not have that bolt.

Remove the DME cover, and unplug the Z11*6B connector from the Integrated Supply module.

1702403943904.png

This cuts power to the Injectors, Ignition coils, and Vanos solenoid. This will in turn, not allow the car to start.

Get in car, crank the car, while its cranking put trans in neutral. TCM needs to see turbine speed to release the trans lock. It will stay in neutral for 30 minutes. whereas if you have to put it in neutral again, repeat the process.

Rocket Rabbit

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Supra premium
Yeah, we can all bask in the glow of the suckitude together. Even if I had known this at the time, I still wouldn't be able to do anything about it, so it was getting dragged across the pavement and onto the flatbed either way. Lame.
Well damn... personally, I'm not big on putting tow hook on a street car but after this info I may invest on some nice set. Truly appreciate that Fuzzy šŸ™šŸ¼

OP
OP
Wackit

Wackit

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0
Thanks for all the suggestions on how to put the car in neutral. Itā€™s all so egregious! Does anyone know why the ZF transmission was designed this way? Iā€™m surprised more people arenā€™t upset about this. Itā€™s a simple function since the beginning of cars, why did they make it so difficult? šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Sponsored