Another “How do I do something simple?” On 2021 Supra...

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
No, but they are fine with putting hours on Youtube to search for the same answers given in the manual. Kids today;)
So here's the thing with the read the manual responses that we frequently see, not just in this thread. And I'm not trying to be argumentative here. I do actually read my manual. I refer to it often. Well, not so much six months in but I did go to it a lot in the first few months. So, I generally agree with these responses about using the manual.

HOWEVER, did anyone refer to their manual to decipher how to raise and lower the windows? What about locking or unlocking the doors? Did you have to read the manual to know to have your foot on the brake to start the car? Or that you should drive slower when it rains or snows? You probably see where I'm going here. All these and many other similar things are in the owners manual. No one needs a manual for stuff like this nor should we need to read the manual to learn about the at least four (that we currently know of) ways to shut the car down. It should be something you don't even have to think about. Shut car off, open door, get out, close door and go on your way...

That's been the process on every single other vehicle I've owned, rented, borrowed, or otherwise had the pleasure of driving. The Supra set up is flat out stupid.

And about that manual - worst one I've ever had. Obviously translated, sometimes confusingly so, from German or Japanese into English by an English as second language employee somewhere during the development process. And I had to come to these forums to determine how much oil I needed when the time came for the first change. That very basic and important information isn't in there but at least we are provided four different ways to shut the car off...
Sponsored

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
It should be something you don't even have to think about. Shut car off, open door, get out, close door and go on your way...
It is, you’re overthinking it. Assuming you’re not going to lock the car, then:

1) shut off engine, open door, everything immediately turns off

2) open door, shut off engine, everything turns off after ~6 min

That’s it. Just leave, the car will take care of itself.

bhamvett

First Name
SR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2013 FR-S
Just hold in the radio power button for 3 seconds. Easiest way to shut down the car.

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2020 BMW X3MC
So here's the thing with the read the manual responses that we frequently see, not just in this thread. And I'm not trying to be argumentative here. I do actually read my manual. I refer to it often. Well, not so much six months in but I did go to it a lot in the first few months. So, I generally agree with these responses about using the manual.

HOWEVER, did anyone refer to their manual to decipher how to raise and lower the windows? What about locking or unlocking the doors? Did you have to read the manual to know to have your foot on the brake to start the car? Or that you should drive slower when it rains or snows? You probably see where I'm going here. All these and many other similar things are in the owners manual. No one needs a manual for stuff like this nor should we need to read the manual to learn about the at least four (that we currently know of) ways to shut the car down. It should be something you don't even have to think about. Shut car off, open door, get out, close door and go on your way...

That's been the process on every single other vehicle I've owned, rented, borrowed, or otherwise had the pleasure of driving. The Supra set up is flat out stupid.

And about that manual - worst one I've ever had. Obviously translated, sometimes confusingly so, from German or Japanese into English by an English as second language employee somewhere during the development process. And I had to come to these forums to determine how much oil I needed when the time came for the first change. That very basic and important information isn't in there but at least we are provided four different ways to shut the car off...
This is all BMW's fault. My X3M is the same and I, like you, can not understand the use case.

Worse, when I am actually sitting in the car with the engine off say waiting for someone, then my music shuts off! :mad:

As described here there are ways to "force" it but there is no reason why it should have been designed this way.

Another thing I noticed (in my BMW) was that if you give it a few seconds before opening the door it will shut off (not ideal for me). This was super annoying when I was hard wiring my V1 and my amp as I had to wait ~8 min to ensure everything actually turned off.... multiple times.

I was not aware of the setting in the menu - I'll have to give that a shot on my X.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
It is, you’re overthinking it. Assuming you’re not going to lock the car, then:

1) shut off engine, open door, everything immediately turns off

2) open door, shut off engine, everything turns off after ~6 min

That’s it. Just leave, the car will take care of itself.
I don't completely disagree with you here. It is not that difficult to deal with. But I also do not completely agree with you either. :)

Your #1 - only works if you know of that particular setting and from the traffic on this site many Supra owners don't. The factory default is off. I actually found it by accident just playing around with my settings. Good luck figuring it out in the manual.

Your #2 - that's all well and good but, again, I'm waiting for someone, anyone, to enlighten me on what purpose it serves for everything to STAY ON for 6 minutes just sitting in my garage. Anyone? Beuller? This was obviously intentionally designed into the car so what circumstances were they trying to address with this "feature"? I still contend it's a stupid design. If you set it up like 99% of every other car out there, you don't then have to program four additional methods to turn things off. Keep it simple stupid...

One other thing to consider. My office commute is short, around 3 miles. It typically takes less than 6 minutes to get home in the evening. Which means every work day (assuming I just get out and let the car take care of itself) it will spend more time sitting in my garage draining the battery than the alternator does charging it. I often work a few hours on weekend mornings as well. So does anyone really want 42 minutes per week of the car just sitting in the garage draining the battery? I don't. Especially considering how sensitive this car apparently is to battery charge levels.

Anyway, not a major deal. Fortunately it is easy to address. But hopefully I've shown a few others where the setting is to address it without having to take additional (admittedly only mildly irritating) steps to turn things off.

gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Prem., 2015 Subaru XV, 2003 MINI JCW, 1972 TR6
Vehicle Showcase
No, but they are fine with putting hours on Youtube to search for the same answers given in the manual. Kids today;)
How to power off the dash cluster was one of the first things the dealer showed me when we did the PDI. Also NOTE: Electronic parking brake draws juice when engaged. So don't leave it like that for an extended period of time.

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
Well again I am posting on how do I do something that should be so simple...
So I back into my garage, open the car door with the engine running to see if I am almost to the very back of the part where I can stop. (I know, sensors are going off like crazy but I need every inch of space) and then put car in park, set brake and push button to turn car off. The engine turns off but all the controls like dash, radio, instruments etc. are still on. I close the door and still the radio and dash info is on. Nothing will turn off unless I click lock button on key fob. But I don’t want to lock the car inside of my garage, I go in there throughout the day to get things. I’ve tried hitting the off switch on the dash 2 or 3 times, I’ve tried holding it down for 5 seconds, nothing will turn off the electronics after I close the door unless I hit the lock button
I should note everything works fine if I do not open the door before I turn it off. The car instrumentation and radio will shut off when I open the door. But WTF? It shouldn’t be this hard to turn off a car after I open the door when the car was running And now engine is off.
I assume you left the drivers door open while turning off the engine? I like to do this when I want to finish the rest of the song but also want some fresh air in the cabin. I then manually power down with the volume button (ling press) or locking the doors.

When you open the drivers door before the engine is switched off, the setting to “power down when door is opened” is ignored. Rightly so, since you opened the door when power is still needed.

If you shut the door before turning off the engine, think you can avoid this entire problem.

I park in my own secure driveway and I don’t always think to lock the doors. But the battery drain is real. Esp due to my particular Thinkware dash cam and non daily driving. I had a scare with a slow start up last week and found my battery dropped to 60%. Have been locking it when parked ever since.
Sponsored