Any interest in guide to doing ISTEP update yourself?

JP_

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
One size, it'll prompt you to update to the latest, didn't give me any options to do anything else that I could find
Sponsored

Tsuki8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 3.0 AW BM3 E50 WMI
Did this today, was relatively easy. I just installed GTS Techstream from here: https://www.toyota-tech.eu/DiagnosticTools/Software/GTS though and that worked fine too. Had to buy a license through the EU site but it was only 30 euros that way (one 20 euro subscription for a week, and one 10 euro license for a week). Took about an hour and it definitely whinges at you about battery charge! You also have to wait quite a while for it to scan the car for the first time.

I also didn't need to alter the action plan despite my amp being missing and ASD disconnected. ISTA reported all as working fine.

I then had to bimmercode back what I wanted and re-set my quick actions in the 1-8 buttons next to the volume knob.

Hopefully this latest i-level sorts out throttle hesitation as has been reported in that thread. Certainly didn't happen to me again in the same circumstances that it had done before, but we'll see over a longer period.

Any idea if there are change logs for ilevels from BMW/Toyota anywhere?
What battery charger did you use?
Very tempted to the update.

Anyone have recommendations?

JP_

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What battery charger did you use?
Very tempted to the update.

Anyone have recommendations?
I believe the BMW recommendation is a 70A power supply... honestly, doing this without a proper PSU is playing with fire. I wouldn't recommend doing this without buying one, don't be like me!

Battery chargers aren't enough. You might get away with a 25A charger once or twice like I did but... I wouldn't risk it again on my own car. I only did it this way because my battery is new and in good health, plus was full at the time and I was able to leave it to recharge afterwards.

Last edited:

CarGuy11

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra Prem/Assist DS Blue, '16 C7, '22 Mach-E
I recently received the latest iStep from my dealer. Since the iStep level is not tied to model year Supra, does this mean that on my 2020 I've gotten the calibration changes to steering, ediff, trans etc that the 2021s & 2022s received?
download - 2022-08-15T102558.816.jpeg

Reactions: SVR

Tsuki8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 3.0 AW BM3 E50 WMI
I believe the BMW recommendation is a 70A power supply... honestly, doing this without a proper PSU is playing with fire. I wouldn't recommend doing this without buying one, don't be like me!

Battery chargers aren't enough. You might get away with a 25A charger once or twice like I did but... I wouldn't risk it again on my own car. I only did it this way because my battery is new and in good health, plus was full at the time and I was able to leave it to recharge afterwards.
Great will see if I can get my hands on one.
Probably, going to buy this unit:
https://www.amazon.com/PowerMax-PM4-75A-Converter-Battery/dp/B01ER3LH6Q/

Used a regular ENET cable?

Last edited:

JP_

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I recently received the latest iStep from my dealer. Since the iStep level is not tied to model year Supra, does this mean that on my 2020 I've gotten the calibration changes to steering, ediff, trans etc that the 2021s & 2022s received?
I've been doing some research into this. I think the answer is yes. But it's hard to know for sure.

What I'm not clear on is whether we'll be able to get any of the updates from the 2023 MY - potentially not because there are actual hardware changes too.

JP_

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^^^ I think so too. Trans shifting in Sport is definitely smoother now especially when cold. What hardware is changing on 2023?
I found this on the shifts too, also faster in both directions

I had read that there was different rubber for the suspension, and possibly some change to the steering rack but not sure on that last point, but I don't know if that's the full extent of it, not really much info out there at the moment

Tsuki8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 3.0 AW BM3 E50 WMI
Many thanks for the all the info in the thread!

Woot, just successfully updated:
To: S18T-22-03-535 (March 2022)

2years of i-Steps, throttle hesitation fix, and brake recall done!
No issues other than needing to calibrate EPS at the end.
Headunit (HU-H) took the longest.
ISTA estimate was ~48mins, acutal was ~1hr.

The 75A power supply I used worked perfectly.
Adjusted to ~13.5V, dropped to ~13.2V at the heaviest load but recovered nicely.

Equipment I used:
ENET cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V3C47YD/
75A PSU: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ER3LH6Q/
4AWG Jumper cables: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VHE76GE/
The cables need to be cut to be used on the PSU.

Unneeded but used to periodically measure/check voltage:
Fluke 324: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009AZ0TXE/

For future readers (Official Guide):
T-SB-0151-19 - Supra Reprogramming Guide

1661629859898.png

1661630018941.png

Last edited:

DangerNut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0, 21 Yukon, 20 Ninja 650, 19 Sierra
Many thanks for the all the info in the thread!

Woot, just successfully updated:
To: S18T-22-03-535 (March 2022)

2years of i-Steps and brake recall done!
No issues other than needing to calibrate EPS at the end.
Headunit (HU-H) took the longest.
ISTA estimate was ~48mins, acutal was ~1hr.

The 75A power supply I used worked perfectly.
Adjusted to ~13.5V, dropped to ~13.2V at the heaviest load but recovered nicely.

Equipment I used:
ENET cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V3C47YD/
75A PSU: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ER3LH6Q/
4AWG Jumper cables: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VHE76GE/
The cables need to be cut to be used on the PSU.

Unneeded but used to periodically measure/check voltage:
Fluke 324: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009AZ0TXE/

1661629859898.png

1661630018941.png
My dealer won’t do the iStep update (after being there twice and asking them specifically to do it to hopefully get rid of throttle hesitation) because “there isn’t a service bulletin”, so I’m pretty much set on doing this myself.

Any gotcha’s or particular vehicle setup requirements? The ISTA papers say “precisely straight, level, etc.”, how true is that?

Tsuki8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 3.0 AW BM3 E50 WMI
Nice! Notice any difference when driving?

Also curious why you didn't have the dealer preform recall so its documented?
I haven't had a chance to drive it and partially from the weather.
My dealer refused and wanted 0 codes before the update. (Understandable from liability)
I had a few codes outstanding from the previous owner tweaking through Bimmercode.
(Disabled ASD (engine noise), door chime, auto-start/stop, sport-mode default, etc.)
Found myself in a catch-22 situation, since updating would restore/undo-all those settings/codes.
I decided to proceed without the dealer since I didn't have a backup of the Bimmercode changes to undo the codes.

My dealer won’t do the iStep update (after being there twice and asking them specifically to do it to hopefully get rid of throttle hesitation) because “there isn’t a service bulletin”, so I’m pretty much set on doing this myself.

Any gotcha’s or particular vehicle setup requirements? The ISTA papers say “precisely straight, level, etc.”, how true is that?
It is very straight forward, more or less a click-through process.
ISTA will take care of the dependencies and update in-order automatically.
I treated the vehicle prep as best-practices, followed as closely as possible.

It is known that a few headunits were bricking during updating, I decided to have a floor fan pointed at the dash/headunit during the flash. Not sure if it did anything, but everything made it over safely.

1662140755585.png

DangerNut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0, 21 Yukon, 20 Ninja 650, 19 Sierra
I haven't had a chance to drive it and partially from the weather.
My dealer refused and wanted 0 codes before the update. (Understandable from liability)
I had a few codes outstanding from the previous owner tweaking through Bimmercode.
(Disabled ASD (engine noise), door chime, auto-start/stop, sport-mode default, etc.)
Found myself in a catch-22 situation, since updating would restore/undo-all those settings/codes.
I decided to proceed without the dealer since I didn't have a backup of the Bimmercode changes to undo the codes.

It is very straight forward, more or less a click-through process.
ISTA will take care of the dependencies and update in-order automatically.
I treated the vehicle prep as best-practices, followed as closely as possible.

It is known that a few headunits were bricking during updating, I decided to have a floor fan pointed at the dash/headunit during the flash. Not sure if it did anything, but everything made it over safely.

1662140755585.png
Appreciate it. As soon as I get the diagnostic cable, I’m giving it a go.

Branflakes123

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Refraction Blue
Any potential with iStep to get iDrive 7 installed?
Sponsored