Anyone else keeping their Supra bone stock?

Harvey84

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5 Supra & Skoda superb
I'm not planning anything I can't bolt on bolt off myself, cold air box, front struts etc etc. Happy with it as is.
Sponsored

SupraPaPa

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Seems you are very much not alone. Let's be honest, for most people adding the extra bhp is more a thing of pride/bragging rights, then usefulness. The car in stock form, has more than enough for most of it's buyers capabilities. While it would be fun to say it was 500bhp+, not really necessary, and as you said, no real reason to shorten it's life. In fact, I have yet to see a replacement wheel on these cars that I like better than the stock ones, despite them being a major pain in the but to keep clean. That is not to say I do not like them, just not better than stock. If I were regularly tracking the car, I would however be interested in a second track set.

As for the boomer comment, that could be because they are more in touch with reality (the extra is not needed), have a better appreciation for the value of the money they earned (ROI), or after having picked up some valuable life experience. OR, it was just an unsupported observation. ;-)

Angryjames

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Mine is stock aside from the Wind Buffeting ($9 fix), and Clear Bra. Since November 2019, I only have 3k miles on it. ( I work from home, so no obligation to drive anywhere) The Mileage alone is motivation for me to keep it stock. As much as I want to improve it, It still brings a smile when I see it in my garage, and a huge grin when I get out of it (after driving it). Maybe if I drove it more, that might be a different story. If I had a 2nd car, I would also be more inclined. But the car I want would be my "tuner" car, and I will not get rid of the Supra. It's hard to say these days. All in all, I am happy with the car as is.

Lisa Marie

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Wrangler, 2021 Subie
'21 Refraction--ppf, ceramic & oem spoiler. She's going to my granddaughter (assuming she has an appreication for cars) when she's older.

westtxsupra2.0

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0
Mine is stock aside from the Wind Buffeting ($9 fix), and Clear Bra. Since November 2019, I only have 3k miles on it. ( I work from home, so no obligation to drive anywhere) The Mileage alone is motivation for me to keep it stock. As much as I want to improve it, It still brings a smile when I see it in my garage, and a huge grin when I get out of it (after driving it). Maybe if I drove it more, that might be a different story. If I had a 2nd car, I would also be more inclined. But the car I want would be my "tuner" car, and I will not get rid of the Supra. It's hard to say these days. All in all, I am happy with the car as is.
Can you share your $9 fix?

Octane

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra
Planning on keeping mine stock for the most part. I have weather tech floor mats and the paint matched front reflectors I got locally at IND.

No real plans to do much more. If I was still in my 20's, this car would have suspension + wheels + exhaust done by now. I guess this is what its like growing up? lol

westtxsupra2.0

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0
Planning on keeping mine stock for the most part. I have weather tech floor mats and the paint matched front reflectors I got locally at IND.

No real plans to do much more. If I was still in my 20's, this car would have suspension + wheels + exhaust done by now. I guess this is what its like growing up? lol
Same here. Im' pretty sure I'd mess up the front end in no time if I drop it! Though I am getting the roof wrapped tomorrow, glossy black.

OP
OP

ogun228

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Turbulence gray Premium Supra
Well, folks, it's been 8 months of ownership and my thoughts on this car have changed somewhat.

It litterally took me 7 months and an alignment to really understand this car, how it handles, its quirks and its good points. I admit to not getting "it", when I read on this forum that new owners are undertaking serious mods that are fundamentally changing the nature and behavior of this car, barely out of the showroom.
I sort of correlate that with the increasing number of wrecked Supras showing up here every week.

I have found, ( and here, these are very personal opinions and of course worth no more than a'holes) that as the suspension and brakes are set up, this car cannot safely handle more power than it already has. There! The brakes are ok
no more. Fade rears its ugly head soon after any high speed stop...The original alignment was for the birds...The steering , while accurate, is too light...Supra does not like sudden abrupt inputs. Where oh! where is it written that to be good or great, a sport car has to be difficult to drive? In my opinion again, a car, sport or otherwise should be easy to drive safely unless ordered no too by the driver/owner.

On the other hand, directional stability is very good and the damping for me is excellent and I find this car to be extremely comfortable over distances, for what it is...The power is adequate and it pulls and pulls with ferocity...The transmission is so good that it compares very favorably to my former 997.2 PDK...Yesterday, I braked for a freeway exit from 8th at 90mph and the darn thing downshifted to 3rd without complaints on its own.

Small gripes:

The infotainment stuff is what it is and for myself, I shut down the screen as soon as possible after departure. I have no interest in anything that distracts me from the driving bit...I also have little or no interest in modifying the audio since it will not enhance the driving experience...I wish I could switch driver modes on the fly withiout having to come to a stop...I do not enjoy washing this car because of the need to have an air gun to dislodge water out of the wing mirrors and the myriads of nooks and crannies...I keep my tires at 38 psi as for me this works...

The trunk is deep and wide enough to hold my folding bike, no problems. Hate the silly sun shades...I had to add one qt of oil, not because the car told me to but because the gauge was at the min mark at 4.7k miles. I have vowed not to over maintain this car as I did my 2 Porsches. Wasted money! I will follow the maintenance schedule as set by Toyota, no more and no less.

I am now going to throw the Supra the greatest compliment: compared to my former 2009 Porsche Carrera S PDK, I'd choose the Supra all day.

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
the OP mentioned a “Hunter” alignment. Can someone explain or link where the specs to this is located?

Byrone

First Name
Byrone
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR
no, but I am keeping the original pieces safe and secure on whatever I've been replacing (so far just things like floor mats, reflectors, other cosmetics).
Sponsored