Anyone having problems with the 2020 Supra start/stop feature?

Warden0204

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
First time time I took it to the dealership, they said a fuse had blown. It started working for about a day and then stopped again. So when driving back to the dealership to have it checked out, before I arrived, it started working again. They explained and showed me in the owners manual, under what conditions, it will not work. Have been driving it for two weeks now and it has only worked one time since I left the dealership. Anyone else having issues?
Sponsored

Supbrah

First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Downshift Blue Supra
Seems like your car knows it should be off all the time. :D

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
If you drive in sports mode, it automatically disables stop - start.
If driving in normal it should be working unless you disable it via button on console.
Based on your description, I'd say the battery is on its way out. Time to replace at dealership as it needs to be registered.

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
Your car has to be fully warmed up before the start/stop function enables. This can take up to 15 minutes. Even then, sometimes it just decides to not function. I've had this "feature" on BMWs for many years; it just has a mind of its own.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of the whole concept. Puts unnecessary wear and tear on the starter motor, among other issues. I also dislike the slight delay that comes with the restart, too. I turn it off and leave it off. Only reason this was included was the fractional increase in City MPG this feature provides, per the EPA official test cycle. CAFE standards drive the manufacturers to a number of whacky solutions, including this one.

OP
OP

Warden0204

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Your car has to be fully warmed up before the start/stop function enables. This can take up to 15 minutes. Even then, sometimes it just decides to not function. I've had this "feature" on BMWs for many years; it just has a mind of its own.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of the whole concept. Puts unnecessary wear and tear on the starter motor, among other issues. I also dislike the slight delay that comes with the restart, too. I turn it off and leave it off. Only reason this was included was the fractional increase in City MPG this feature provides, per the EPA official test cycle.
I think Iā€™m about to just not worry about this anymore. Because it really does have a mind of itā€™s own and I think thatā€™s the problem. Actually, thatā€™s pretty much was the dealership told me, I was just looking for confirmation from other owners.

OP
OP

Warden0204

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
If you drive in sports mode, it automatically disables stop - start.
If driving in normal it should be working unless you disable it via button on console.
Based on your description, I'd say the battery is on its way out. Time to replace at dealership as it needs to be registered.
The dealership initially thought it was the battery, but it checked out fine. Just a little frustrating.

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
My understanding is that the start/stop feature will only engage if certain conditions are met such as above predetermined / preset load threshold or limit...During the summer, when the AC is on I notice that start / stop engages most of the time....During months with no AC, or heat start stop doesn't engage nearly as often...just my observations...

Raehan

First Name
Rae
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 jeep grand cherokee diesel, 2020 supra gr, 2013 Cmax
Only thing I want to know is: How do you disable the darn thing FOREVER? Itā€™s annoying and, as pointed out, just increases wear and tear on starter, battery for no real benefit. And did I mention: itā€™s ANNOYING!

Nonschlont

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium & Evo X
Only thing I want to know is: How do you disable the darn thing FOREVER? Itā€™s annoying and, as pointed out, just increases wear and tear on starter, battery for no real benefit. And did I mention: itā€™s ANNOYING!
So, I just picked up a 2021 and have a start/stop feature issue.. Only I have already disabled the start/stop feature via bimmercode. It happens every once in a while for me (random) I've checked my battery and its not the battery. (showed full capacity / 80%)

Things I've noticed on mine is, if the indicator on the dash doesn't immediately come on (showing normal operation) when u start the car, then switch to sport, the indicator will show start/stop inactive (with line thru indicator) and the car will stall after second stop or so. I actually hit sport after this happened once, (rather than the actual start button, to start the car) and the car fired up and indicated normal operation for the start/stop feature. lol

OP
OP

Warden0204

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
I have the opposite problem, I would like to use it but the darn thing wonā€™t work. If you hit the off switch on the consul, it will turn it off permanently.
Sponsored