Anyone know if Android Auto can be retrofitted to the iDrive system in A90 Supra?

Jediyogi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GR A90
seen a few Chinese systems on Ebay like Naviplus but sadly nothing for Supra just yet...Does anyone know of alternatives?
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
https://www.seicane.com/in-dash-car-dvd-gps/car-dvd-player-for-bmw
I have an old 7" one for my 86 from a brand called Ca-Fi. I will be replacing it with either one of these alternatives, but I think I do like Seicane better.
  • Seicane
  • Joying
  • Atoto
  • Dasaita
Of course you have the more expensive ones
  • Pioneer
  • etc..
I've got quick responses and support from Joying and Seicane. Saw Atoto being sold on Amazon...

larrymz3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
https://www.seicane.com/in-dash-car-dvd-gps/car-dvd-player-for-bmw
I have an old 7" one for my 86 from a brand called Ca-Fi. I will be replacing it with either one of these alternatives, but I think I do like Seicane better.
  • Seicane
  • Joying
  • Atoto
  • Dasaita
Of course you have the more expensive ones
  • Pioneer
  • etc..
I've got quick responses and support from Joying and Seicane. Saw Atoto being sold on Amazon...
I'm interested in this as well. Is this a plug and play replacement? Does it allow all over functions to continue?

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hopefully Supra soon
MMI Prime made by Bimmertech does exactly this, but it's not available for Supra or Z4 yet. They're working on it, but won't be available this year.

OP
OP
Jediyogi

Jediyogi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GR A90
I've put in my Supra VIN to check compatibility and it says not compatible

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hopefully Supra soon
Yeah the info I got was from their email. Apparently the system is not compatible with the 2019-2020 Z4 either, despite being listed. Looks like we'll have to wait a bit for Android Auto.

pnwitasha

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 3.0 premium
Bumping this. I want to get a head unit out of a total'd car to do some reverse engineering. Hoping to pay significantly less than MSRP for the part, it can be broken screen, doesn't matter, just needs to boot up still (to any screen at all). My thoughts are:

1. Android Auto is just h264 video + PCM streaming, with touch events over protobuf. One could probably write a client for the current head unit to do this, especially since carplay is supported (so the h264+PCM streaming touch events part is done, just need to implement the protobuf comms).
2. To do this, need to dump firmware of current head unit and reverse engineer how carplay is implemeneted.
3. Need to see if flashing of customized headunit firmware is possible. Might not be. If it isn't, then 4:
4. Find a bug in the USB, bluetooth, 802.11 stack, or communications to other parts of the car that allows you to "jailbreak" your headunit.

Few months project, probably, after I get a head unit torn apart and firmware dumped.

muckduck

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 95 Supra TT, 2008 T4R
has anyone tried this? I am pretty pissed right now that I can't use android auto. The stock nav is shit and I am not an iOS user and won't switch because of this car.

miwialex

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GR

mr.michael

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I just talked to the bimmertech rep yesterday and he assured me that this works, so I ordered it. I'll report back how it goes!
Just curious if you have any updates on this? I'm tired of the iDrive navigation...

starman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0P
I'll tell you this much; its a hardware limitation (Supra got BMWs old iDrive 6 hardware while its sister, the Z4, got the new iDrive 7 hardware which supports it.)

BimmerTech is the only solution to have Android Auto on all iDrive 6 or below infotainment systems.

and no, you cannot retrofit the iDrive 7 into a car equipped with an iDrive 6 or below. The computer, other hardware, wiring, how it communicates to the cars other computers, and software are totally different.

cvondra

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2021 BMW X6 M50i
Anyone else have issues with Bimmertech support?
Sponsored