Apple Carplay & General Bluetooth Connectivity Problems on 2023

srwhitman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 MT Supra, Lotus Exige S260, Porsche GT3
I don't typically drive the car on long trips but I did recently and while in the midst of the trip, Carplay just went out. In fact, it seems Bluetooth itself went out. I could not connect at all. I turned the car off, disconnected my phone from the car, unpaired it, set it up as a new phone and after doing this like 5 times, it finally reconnected.
This seems like a bug. I have never had a problem in any other car with this phone.

Well, I ran into this again today - this time on a 20 minute drive. I had to play around with it some more and eventually got another phone to connect but that phone wouldn't just connect well either so its definitely not the phone. In fact, after I left the business I was going to and came home, I couldn't get Bluetooth or Carplay to work at all.

I tried it in the middle of nowhere and it still didn't work.

I saw some posts from a few years ago and talking about some firmware update but my car is a (2023 so I assume that it would have any update from 2 years ago). It is a manual - so maybe there is some unique firmware to that but I can't imagine that that would relate to Bluetooth.

I didn't see anyone else post any issues on this - I did see this posting https://www.supramkv.com/threads/carplay-problems-just-me.4962/ and admittedly I've not tried this workaround but if I'm in the middle of nowhere, I don't see how my phone could be trying to connect to wifi somewhere (on the freeway?) or why it would just randomly drop.
Sponsored

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 MT, '00 4Runner SR5
Mine ('23 MT as well) has been super glitchy too. I had to reconnect my phone as a new phone a bunch of times the first week I had the car. Now it always connects, but half the time, the idrive controller wont allow me to rotate through selections in any of the car play screens (the blue perimeter just disappears. Shutting the car on and off doesn't help. I updated the software on my phone but that didn't fix anything. It's just kind of hit or miss right now. I love my new Supra but the tech inside the cabin is not my favorite between the glitchy carplay and the awful JBL system. I'm spoiled because I had a nice 14 speaker B&O system in my Raptor so this JBL system in the Supra leaves a lot to be desired. At least the noises from the engine, turbo and exhaust are glorious!

OP
OP

srwhitman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I upgraded speakers and put in a new sub but my installer says part of the problem is that there is really no mid-range - the 3" speakers are too small and then it goes straight to bass.

Anyway, reconnected phone today and it worked. Waiting for next time for it not to work. Very annoyed...

SupraCess

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 GR Surpa and a turbocharged FRS
It happened to me yesterday with my 2023. I wonder if a software update went out yesterday that caused the issue.

OP
OP

srwhitman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I assume you mean over the air. I doubt it - it happened to me a month or so ago.

Lorre

First Name
Errol
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Type R FK8
Hi guys, I’m facing similar issues as well on my 2023 MT.

Bluetooth audio just freezes and doesn’t allow me to skip songs. I have to skip the songs from my phone. When it freezes, the song album cover doesn’t show up sometimes as well.

I have to switch off the car and on to rectify it.

Anyone found a solution?

Keemaca

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra
Hi guys, I’m facing similar issues as well on my 2023 MT.

Bluetooth audio just freezes and doesn’t allow me to skip songs. I have to skip the songs from my phone. When it freezes, the song album cover doesn’t show up sometimes as well.

I have to switch off the car and on to rectify it.

Anyone found a solution?
Having same issue with my 2024. Can’t skip or backtrack unless the album cover is showing. It’s very annoying for a new car. Any input?

Lorre

First Name
Errol
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Type R FK8
Having same issue with my 2024. Can’t skip or backtrack unless the album cover is showing. It’s very annoying for a new car. Any input?
I realized that it’s because I updated my Apple phone’s software to iOS17 that started the issue.

I used a much older iPhone with iOS 15.4 and it ran flawlessly.

I also realized with iOS17 and 17.3, if I run the connection with Apple CarPlay, it’s fine.

It only crashes when I use Bluetooth connectivity.

Lorre

First Name
Errol
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Type R FK8
I spoke to the dealer and they think the newer iOS might be “too new” for the Supra’s system.

Hope Toyota issues an update for the infotainment system soon.

This is why I really dislike having fancy infotainment tech in my cars. They are never as stable as an old school simple Bluetooth connection system!