B58 longevity with 500+hp?

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
500 isn't pushing it that hard. Really. They can withstand quite a lot.
More data points....

I've done 19 track days this year with around 500whp. So far so good. I'm pretty sure there are more sustained WOT events in one track day than a good amount of people just driving on the street do in a whole year.
Sponsored

StevesMK5

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE Nocturnal. 94 Mkiv Supra turbo renaissance red 6 speed Ram 3500 6.7 Jeep Wrangler l6
If you install a meth kit on your car it will also help with keeping your valves clean it’s great for cleaning and cooling.

KBGT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
@zrk I know, I have seen what you and other have accomplished on a stock engine. I was joking and should have emphasized the + part of 500+. I am working to get a built trans this winter, axles, and some welds.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
@zrk I know, I have seen what you and other have accomplished on a stock engine. I was joking and should have emphasized the + part of 500+. I am working to get a built trans this winter, axles, and some welds.
My engine isn't stock anymore, FWIW. It's built by Billy Mason, and going out this winter again for some upgrades and stuff.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
More data points....

I've done 19 track days this year with around 500whp. So far so good. I'm pretty sure there are more sustained WOT events in one track day than a good amount of people just driving on the street do in a whole year.
I'd like to be able to keep a windshield past one season of tracking....

I am running the 500+ HP B58 longevity test for you guys.
Yall just stay down there in the 400s and I'll let you know when mine blows.
All joking aside, I hope not to blow the engine, but I have blown enough engines to know shit happens when being pushed.
I did blow a AP1 engine on my S2K. They kept telling me not to over rev it so much. That taught me. Bought a used replacement and never did it again. Plus, no need to in this car. She's such a torque monster 👺

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Yea I went through two this season... :-/

Prices went up too. I payed for the second one, none OEM, was $1200 for everything. I need to look into this whole calibrate camera thing because they charge like $650 for that. I think it either doesn't even need it or something we can do in Protool or ISTA.

It "calibrated" in their tool like half way down the block from my house. Me thinks they are making a killing charging for that BS.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yea I went through two this season... :-/

Prices went up too. I payed for the second one, none OEM, was $1200 for everything. I need to look into this whole calibrate camera thing because they charge like $650 for that. I think it either doesn't even need it or something we can do in Protool or ISTA.

It "calibrated" in their tool like half way down the block from my house. Me thinks they are making a killing charging for that BS.
I'm lucky that was included with the overpriced windshield 😂

KBGT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
@razorlab and @zrk I am amazed at the power B58s make on a road course and hold up. Old school engines had to be modified with forged alloy pistons and larger gaps on the rings. Just to minimize breaking ring lands from excessive heat from sustained high boost. 500-600+ whp lap after lap, 250+F engine oil, I am convinced that this engine has a good balance of design features and layers of slick DME coding to keep things in check or shut it all down safely.

rwense

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Nitro Yellow A90 Supra, 10 Honda Fit Sport 5spd
I was incorrect, camera calibration cost $450. Still think it's BS though.

Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 6.19.20 PM.png
The whole "recalibration" thing for a lot of sensors is a load of BS imo. There are many sensors/cameras/systems that can dynamically calibrate on the road that it makes me wonder why some still require a static calibration. And why someone can't do a static calibration themselves without buying multi-thousand dollar rigs with QR codes on steroids 🙄.

*as someone who works for Bosch Automotive Aftermarket, those calibration rigs are spensive*

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
The whole "recalibration" thing for a lot of sensors is a load of BS imo. There are many sensors/cameras/systems that can dynamically calibrate on the road that it makes me wonder why some still require a static calibration. And why someone can't do a static calibration themselves without buying multi-thousand dollar rigs with QR codes on steroids 🙄.

*as someone who works for Bosch Automotive Aftermarket, those calibration rigs are spensive*
I think I am going to try and opt out of that calibration in the future.

SoDakMk5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0

I did blow a AP1 engine on my S2K. They kept telling me not to over rev it so much. That taught me. Bought a used replacement and never did it again. Plus, no need to in this car. She's such a torque monster 👺
On your S2k let me guess u broke a retainer and it grenaded the motor? I had a 03 S2k and swapped to the ap2 retainers

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
On your S2k let me guess u broke a retainer and it grenaded the motor? I had a 03 S2k and swapped to the ap2 retainers
I broke the rod on one of the pistons. The whole thing snapped. It was an AP1. The team (Sick Sideways) would ride my ass for over revving. Now I know why 🤦🏼‍♂️ They said there is no extra power up there. Shift 500 to 1000 rpm sooner. Luckily they got me another used AP1 for around $3500. I also bought upgraded pistons & rods next go round.

Sure was a fun car to learn on though. She was gutted. Drove at night, in the rain, in the summer, you name it. That girl could take a beating! Sold it cuz we had to trailer it everywhere. Became a pain in the ass in that regard. But the next guy buying it really appreciated it 😂 That thing was so dialed in. Sold it for cheap. You never get out what you put into these things.

Pretty confident this B58 will be just as durable as the AP1 & AP2 were. No hiccups engine wise. And once you get someone with the software, you’re set. Or learn to code it yourself, like Bryan is doing.

*(memory lane, don’t mind me)*
IMG_0348.jpeg

IMG_0264.jpeg

Driving from local storage to track on occasion 🤫

Last edited:

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
I had a red AP2 in the day, loved that car. Never tracked it, but damn did it handle on rails and the shifter was sublime. Miss it, in a perfect world, I'd have kept it still. 🥹
Sponsored