B58TU1 PCV Question/Issue

m3frty

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 M340i
Hello, I was wondering if there was a difference between Gen 1 B58 PCV and Gen 2. I am running E40 Tune, Downpipe, Intake, and whenever on E85 mix car puffs white smoke coming to stops. Never seen it happen on 91. It is intermittent and usually happens in stop and go traffic or coming off highways, never happens when in boost/revving or driving only stop or taking off. Thinking it's the infamous PCV issue nearing 33k miles. Anyone have any reviews of the Vargas One way Crankcase breather? I looked at PCV related pictures and diagrams on the Gen 1 B58 and it looks different on the Gen 2 please correct if I'm wrong. Thanks!
Sponsored

Ra’ed

First Name
Ra’ed
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
L79 Land cruiser, A90 Supra
I have the exact same problem on A90 with similar setup, but also, cylinder 1 shuts off due to its spark plug getting oil fouled. Can't find the answer yet.

OP
OP

m3frty

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 M340i
I have the exact same problem on A90 with similar setup, but also, cylinder 1 shuts off due to its spark plug getting oil fouled. Can't find the answer yet.
Wow that does not sound good, I changed my plugs out at 30K miles for NGK 2 Step Colder plugs and they looked fine. Only happens on E40 mix which is weird, never seems to do it on 91. I'm not loosing any oil as well I never dropped from Max line and have never had to top up even with 6-7k oil change intervals using 0W-30. Keep me updated, maybe it's worth giving the Vargas on way crankcase breather and seeing what happens, only a 100 bucks couldn't hurt to try! In the mean time I'll be sticking to my 91 stock map until the TCU tune from XHP comes out.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Gen2 (B58TU) has numerous design changes for the purposes of reducing crankcase pressure due to poor PCV design in Gen1.

I'm e50 + catless DP + intake and no puffs of smoke. I do have the Vargas breather because I just flatly assume that every car's PCV system is insufficient when performance mods are added on. I also run the Radium dual catch can setup, which has worked well and is one of the few that manages PCV+CCV oil contamination correctly.

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
Gen2 (B58TU) has numerous design changes for the purposes of reducing crankcase pressure due to poor PCV design in Gen1.

I'm e50 + catless DP + intake and no puffs of smoke. I do have the Vargas breather because I just flatly assume that every car's PCV system is insufficient when performance mods are added on. I also run the Radium dual catch can setup, which has worked well and is one of the few that manages PCV+CCV oil contamination correctly.
A bit off-topic here, but curious if you've ever caught significant amounts of oil in the catch cans?

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
A bit off-topic here, but curious if you've ever caught significant amounts of oil in the catch cans?
I haven't driven enough miles to answer this question directly. But what I can say is that both the PCV and CCV lines had oil contamination in them when they were removed to install the catch cans.

Here is a picture of oil in the PCV line. The CCV line had similar oil contamination. Both lines connect to the turbo inlet adapter that's attached to the front of the turbo (black plastic).

I found disgusting oil residue spattered all over the inlet pipe, and I'm only at 3000 miles.

1650859080088.png

Decimari

First Name
Reshad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Has anyone found a solution to the puff of white smoke when coming to a full stop? My car will smoke every other stop once driving at operating temps for 15 mins. It stinks horribly. I took it to the dealership for warranty and they “cleaned the PCV” but this still happens.

aksprite

First Name
AK
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra, the bus
Had the same issue. Started happening after one of my regular 5k oil changes. I drove around puffing white smoke at every other stop. One time it released so much white smoke it made the entire gas station I was at look like it was in a fog. After a month I decided to just change the oil and it seemingly went away. Initially I thought my turbo was going bad but it’s been about 8 months and nothing is out of the ordinary. This probably isn’t what fixed it but the oil I used was amsoil euro 5w30 with 1 1/2 bottles of ceratec. The Vargas crankcase breather will likely not help since I had one on my car during the smoking period.

tanabersx

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, RAM Rebel 2021, 2018 BMW X5 e-Drive
Had the same issue. Started happening after one of my regular 5k oil changes. I drove around puffing white smoke at every other stop. One time it released so much white smoke it made the entire gas station I was at look like it was in a fog. After a month I decided to just change the oil and it seemingly went away. Initially I thought my turbo was going bad but it’s been about 8 months and nothing is out of the ordinary. This probably isn’t what fixed it but the oil I used was amsoil euro 5w30 with 1 1/2 bottles of ceratec. The Vargas crankcase breather will likely not help since I had one on my car during the smoking period.
What oil did you change to?