Bad to run no centre caps?

aldwin1999

First Name
Aldwin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0
Just put on my winter setup on the Supra, just a pretty cheap set to get me around safely in the cold in Ontario. I'm only planning to drive when the roads are nicely plowed/not snowing since the Supra is my daily, but I work from home and have other cars I can use occasionally.

For anyone wondering the wheels are Fast Wheels FC04 18x9 wrapped in Nexen WinGuard Sport 2 245/40R18, total cost was 1.6k CAD which was a crazy deal.

Question: How bad is it to run no centre caps? I just love the look and I think it looks way better without. My concern is snow/debris getting all up in there and rusting/seizing things up.

IMG_2185.JPG
1698290567251.png
Sponsored

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
For road, it is better to have center cap as it will minimize dust & water getting into it. - perhaps snow or mud in cases. most of modern cars' bearing are sealed so it should be ok but will increase the risk while having center cap will reduce the risk.

as for track, I recommend to have it off. heat will expand air and pop the center cap out then you will lose it on the track. And then put it back after track day is over.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
as for track, I recommend to have it off. heat will expand air and pop the center cap out then you will lose it on the track. And then put it back after track day is over.
Mine used to melt off once parked after a 20 min session. I just leave them off at all times these days.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
For road, it is better to have center cap as it will minimize dust & water getting into it. - perhaps snow or mud in cases. most of modern cars' bearing are sealed so it should be ok but will increase the risk while having center cap will reduce the risk.

Mine used to melt off once parked after a 20 min session. I just leave them off at all times these days.
Most sanctioning bodies and HPDE hosts require center cap being removed. They can become a hazard for other drivers. They will most likely fall out, never to be seen again, anyway. 😞

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Most sanctioning bodies and HPDE hosts require center cap being removed. They can become a hazard for other drivers. They will most likely fall out, never to be seen again, anyway. 😞
I’ll have to go look and see if I still have mine 😂

OP
OP
aldwin1999

aldwin1999

First Name
Aldwin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0

I think the look is worth the risk haha, thank you! Just wanted to confirm. Might pop them on if I do find I'm collecting lots of water/dirt/snow in it

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
What about them T7 center caps? Those things are a b to get in...I wonder if they'd melt or fall out. I hope not since they cost $120.

They use two o rings and are made of metal. Takes a bit of effort to get them all the way in.
Sponsored