Banks iDash + Aeroforce Single Gauge Pod

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tesla M3P
These are the gauges I have. Unlike any other obd2 gauges, these can daisy chain together. I currently have 2 at the same time, each displaying 3 parameters each.
Id love to see pics of that setup.
Sponsored

mattieewhooo

First Name
Mattie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra
What are some good parameters to follow, in these Supras? I used to do AFR, Oil Temp, Boost, etc etc in the past ..but curious is there's any other notables to keep an eye on?

I will be tuning my car as of next summer, hooked up to meth, with a downpipe, intake, chargepipe, etc etc

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
So I've been using Banks gauges for a while and they mostly don't turn on with the car. If you unplug and replug on the OBD port, it works fine, but they just don't power on with the vehicle. I've also had some situations where my ECUtek adapter is getting power but cannot talk to the vehicle.

The Banks gauges work just fine after hot plugging them, but it's like the car turned off the OBD port or something.

Has anyone with OBD devices experienced this?

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
So I've been using Banks gauges for a while and they mostly don't turn on with the car. If you unplug and replug on the OBD port, it works fine, but they just don't power on with the vehicle. I've also had some situations where my ECUtek adapter is getting power but cannot talk to the vehicle.

The Banks gauges work just fine after hot plugging them, but it's like the car turned off the OBD port or something.

I don’t have the Banks gauge, but I do leave my Ecutek Bluetooth adapter plugged in 24/7, and it never has any issues coming up. One thing it does do though is about 10 min after starting up the car, if I’m streaming data from the ecutek adapter (either actively logging or just watching the data), it’ll throw a “timeout waiting for batch” error and I’ll have to exit out of the data log window and then go back in. It does this about 90% of the time, always the same amount of time since starting the car. If I start the car and start logging immediately, it’ll throw the error after 10 min. If I start the car then wait 9 min before logging, it’ll throw the error after 1 min. If I wait >10 min before logging, or if when the error happens I close out and go back in, then it never errors out again. It’s weird.

Last edited:

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks, @suicidaleggroll. Seems these OBD ports are temperamental.

Posting back and forth about this gave me some "rubber ducky troubleshooting" thoughts and I decided to dig into the Banks settings thinking it was something with the gauge. Turns out: yes. Buried deep in the settings menu there are two settings: one for if the car is hybrid or has auto-start/stop (turned it on) and the other for sensitivity to voltage drop during cranking (changed from high to low).

This fixed the issue. I think it's mostly the cranking voltage setting. The Supra has a very strong crank and lots of electronics coming online, so I powered sensitivity accordingly.

12.10 Wake Up Sensitivity Level

The iDash’s automatic wake-up uses battery voltage drop when cranking the vehicle. The wake-up sensitivity level allows you to adjust the iDash’s sensitivity to the voltage drop. Some vehicles have greater voltage drops than others and would need to set the sensitivity to the low setting.

OP
OP

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor

My anecdotal data point - yes. Mostly after not driving the car for several days. If I drive it once every couple of days, it seems to turn on fine. I've actually just bent/broke the locking tab on the Banks gauge to make it easy to unplug/replug on the rare occasion it doesn't boot with the car. The OBD port is snug, as is. It hasn't been an issue so inconvenient that I would find another solution, but yes, I do experience what you're describing (sometimes, not most of the time).

Posting back and forth about this gave me some "rubber ducky troubleshooting" thoughts and I decided to dig into the Banks settings thinking it was something with the gauge. Turns out: yes. Buried deep in the settings menu there are two settings: one for if the car is hybrid or has auto-start/stop (turned it on) and the other for sensitivity to voltage drop during cranking (changed from high to low).

This fixed the issue. I think it's mostly the cranking voltage setting. The Supra has a very strong crank and lots of electronics coming online, so I powered sensitivity accordingly.
Good find! I'll have to check this out soon and see if I can replicate the fix.

OP
OP

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor

Did you increase or decrease sensitivity?

“High” is default for me.

My experiences are so intermittent, it would take forever to test each one.

IMG_7845.jpeg

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
...Buried deep in the settings menu there are two settings: one for if the car is hybrid or has auto-start/stop (turned it on) and the other for sensitivity to voltage drop during cranking (changed from high to low)...

3TMagnetMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
tempImageM16jDa.jpg

Just finished installing a Banks iDash Gauge and Scan Tool inside of an Aeroforce Single Gauge Pod (thanks for @Insomniac for pointing these pods out to me).

Why I picked this combo:
  • I've been looking for both a non-tacked on single gauge pod as well as a gauge that displays multiple parameters at once.
  • I tried making an OBDLink dashboard with my phone, but 1) I was having issues with a super slow refresh rate, and 2) this would require me to pull my phone out, mount it, connect, open app, etc. etc. every time I'm in the car (I often never remove my phone from my pocket due to wireless CarPlay).
  • The P3 is a great looking gauge, but for the price, I would have liked a higher res screen and more than one parameter.
  • The Banks gauge can display up to 8 parameters on a layout, and you can can save 5 layouts for switching on the fly.
FYI, the Banks gauge uses the OBD2 port, so this gauge is not recommended for those with a JB4 or using the OBD2 port full-time for something else.

Install Notes:
  • The install is exactly like the P3 gauge install.
  • I let the headlight switch panel hang instead of unplugging it (the connecter was very snug like the video mentions). I just put a microfiber on it to prevent scratches.
  • The Aeroforce gauge pod fits 2 1/16" (52 mm) gauges, but the inner diameter is a bit wider than the outer diameter of the Banks gauge. It comes with adhesive putty which is a mess. The majority of my time on this install was cleaning this up. Plan how you'll secure the gauge in the pod before starting to prevent frustration.
    • The Banks gauge does come with a backing plate and nuts to secure the gauge to other types of pods, but this does not apply to the Aeroforce pod given the nature of its shape.
  • I placed a small, hard-ish tool case above the defroster vent to prevent myself from drilling into the a-pillar. (don't need to with a steady hand, but it's cheap insurance)
Install Pics:
tempImageVdXawe.jpg

tempImagecUuZyw.jpg

tempImageB7zwDT.jpg

Fully Installed Pics Attached

tempImageVeTC9t.png

tempImage6zOvM6.png

tempImage40uSng.png

tempImageAo1IBb.png

Is the Banks idash easy to use and has it been working fine for you??? Any review as I noticed on the Banks website no BMW or GR Supra options to choose on their site.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It's very easy to use. It just plugs into the OBD port. It scans for info over the port using OBD/CAN bus, so it's not really "specific" to any one car. I use a pair of Banks gauges on my own Supra.

3TMagnetMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
It's very easy to use. It just plugs into the OBD port. It scans for info over the port using OBD/CAN bus, so it's not really "specific" to any one car. I use a pair of Banks gauges on my own Supra.
Do you have a Dual pod set up??