Battery replacement on new LE 2020?

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
I've also tried unplugging the cameras after a full charge and the lights still come on.
It won't matter at this point -- you will need the dealer to clear the error code for the message to go away.

I will have to see when the dealer swap the battery to see if it will happen again. It's still under warranty so it will be covered for now.
Hopefully the message will go away when the code is cleared. Be careful, don't assume they will replace under warranty if your camera install caused the problem. The batteries are expensive.
Sponsored

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Even 15 years ago BMW had a very sophisticated system that categorized various onboard electronics and accessories into groups. Some could demand only so much and would get shut off, others could draw until the battery was drained. This was fairly well documented. Perhaps something got wired in that is on a circuit that gets all the demand it wants.

Does anyone know or can they check if the battery is BMW? They manufacture their own and there’s smart electronics in the battery (again for at least 15 years) that allows the systems to pull harder on the battery as it gets older and has reduced output (to keep up with the demand of the systems). This means a service reset when a new battery is installed and you have to use OEM.

It's likely a BMW battery given that everything else in the car is a BMW part or derived from a BMW part. All the body control modules are BMW so I assume they used the same smart battery system as you described.

RRKnight

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus NCX200T F Sport
The OP said he didn't do any electronic install. I will post back once the dealer replaces my battery. The battery will take 4 weeks to get.

OP
OP

JggyMKV

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota
The OP said he didn't do any electronic install. I will post back once the dealer replaces my battery. The battery will take 4 weeks to get.
Why does it take 4 weeks? Is it a specific battery?

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
I needed a replacement part and was told there isnt even a complete parts list to order from yet. So no price can even be given.

RRKnight

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus NCX200T F Sport
No part list available yet on Toyota system to order the part. It's being updated this week and then they can order it from Kentucky.

084runnerltd

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
08 4Runner / 99’ Lexus LX470 / Deposit 2020 Supra
Vehicle Showcase

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Yup. Sounds like the BMW system. Without a reset, the ECU still thinks the battery is weak and draws hard on it. I have seen old BMW forum posts for guys who used off the shelf batteries and they were sucked dry in about one year.

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I’ve been reading the manual. Is it possible that the car has been left accidentally in standby state instead of idle state? Also, it appears that the 12v plug is always drawing power and can drain the battery if an accessory/device is left plugged in.

084runnerltd

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
08 4Runner / 99’ Lexus LX470 / Deposit 2020 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been reading the manual. Is it possible that the car has been left accidentally in standby state instead of idle state? Also, it appears that the 12v plug is always drawing power and can drain the battery if an accessory/device is left plugged in.
Good point, my dealer told me at delivery to always lock the car as some systems continue to draw on the battery and if left for a few days my drain the battery.

(Dealer had a list of about 5 items with bulletin points to tell me. Basically, was how to open the hood, how to properly close it, the break-in period, launch control and to always lock the car to prevent a dead battery)

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Good point, my dealer told me at delivery to always lock the car as some systems continue to draw on the battery and if left for a few days my drain the battery.

(Dealer had a list of about 5 items with bulletin points to tell me. Basically, was how to open the hood, how to properly close it, the break-in period, launch control and to always lock the car to prevent a dead battery)
It’s interesting that this car is more like a PC than a car with regard to power. It has multiple modes and it doesn’t behave like other cars with a start/stop button.

As others have said in threads here, to make sure you get to idle mode (off):

-engage the parking brake -AFTER- switching the engine off with the start/stop button

Or

-hold the power button for the stereo after the engine is off.

Or

-there’s also a menu setting that will establish idle state when a door is opened.

This seems kludgy to me, I wonder what struggles led to such peculiar extra steps.

Last edited:

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
There may be a setting in iDrive to power everything off when the driver's door is opened (after shutting off engine). My M40i has a few ways to do this, but I set it to power off as soon as I open the door. My other BMWs did not have that setting and would only power down when the door was locked or the keyfob went out of range.

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
There may be a setting in iDrive to power everything off when the driver's door is opened (after shutting off engine). My M40i has a few ways to do this, but I set it to power off as soon as I open the door. My other BMWs did not have that setting and would only power down when the door was locked or the keyfob went out of range.
Yes.

I mentioned it in my earlier post but here’s the excerpt from the manual.

49D10075-4EC7-40FF-A90E-A8DE8E1FCCEC.jpeg

Skeeter

First Name
Cecil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra #935/1500 ,2019 Toyota Highlander, 2002 VW Turbo Beetle, 1997Mazda Miata, 1986 Mustang SVO
Yes.

I mentioned it in my earlier post but here’s the excerpt from the manual.

49D10075-4EC7-40FF-A90E-A8DE8E1FCCEC.jpeg
My Supra had the very same issue when I bought it. There was a small placard on the console that had a bulleted item that says something to he effect.."never leave the seatbelts buckled when exiting the vehicle, doing so will not let the batter go into a sleep mode, and will place a parasitic draw on the battery"".. When we got the car, the passengers side seat belt was buckled. It took three trips to the dealer to get that $500.00 replaced. The owner of the dealership was there on my third trip, and I talked to him about this issue. I told him that not a single person at his dealership was smart enough to read that placard setting right on top of the console.

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My Supra had the very same issue when I bought it. There was a small placard on the console that had a bulleted item that says something to he effect.."never leave the seatbelts buckled when exiting the vehicle, doing so will not let the batter go into a sleep mode, and will place a parasitic draw on the battery"".. When we got the car, the passengers side seat belt was buckled. It took three trips to the dealer to get that $500.00 replaced. The owner of the dealership was there on my third trip, and I talked to him about this issue. I told him that not a single person at his dealership was smart enough to read that placard setting right on top of the console.
Wow. Sadly it reinforces my concerns. Lack of training all around it seems.
Sponsored