Bavsound Ghostsub Review: I really wanted to like them...

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
As many of you know I had posted a thread here on our forum a while ago on How to Improve OE Sub Bass Quality and Eliminate Vibrations

To briefly summarize, surprisingly, the Harmon Kardon 8" Subs in the Supra are actually very good speakers once you correct some very basic design issues that were overlooked by Toyota... Without ports added, the bass exhaust energy was literally trapped behind the rear panel which created quite of bit of vibrational noise and also muddied bass response...

Adding exhaust ports to the rear panel along with lining the enclosure walls with wadding and insulating the space behind the narrow rear panel, essentially lowered the Q (damping effects) and resulted in a flatter / clearer bass response...The Bass is now deeper, punchier, and far less distorted and eliminated much of the vibrational noise heard...

completed ported subwoofer system.jpg

I also mention that for anyone considering installing direct replacement subwoofers as a knee-jerk reaction to improving sound distortions, vibrations, and rattles, these basic improvements should be seriously considered before replacing them...

====================

Which leads me to the Bavsound Ghostsubs...

After all these improvements were made I was curious as to if the Bavsound Ghost subs would further improve bass response and sound quality above that of the OE Harmon Kardon woofers....

After installation of the Bavsound Ghostsubs I gave the subs the recommended 10 hour break-in before evaluating them fully...Actually I gave them over 20 hrs of breakin to re-evaluate...

I have to say that sadly I was disappointed and a bit underwhelmed...I really wanted these to be better than the HK subs, but they were not...While I did experience to slightly punchier upper bass response, the lower bass response was noticeably lacking....

Now Bavsound does make the claim that their subs produce "2x the bass" and are "+10 db louder than the factory subs from 20hz to 60hz"...Both of which I did not experience...Perhaps this applies to the underseat ghostsubs in the BMW, but this is not the case with the Supra, where the enclosure design is very different than that of BMW underseat application...Like I said, I really wanted to like these and was disappointed they didn't work out for me....The Supra's factory Harmon Kardon subs actually produced a much deeper bass response with very good clarity!

Bavsound claims cropped.jpg

====================

I decided I would return the Ghostsubs as Bavsound has a 100 day satisfaction guarantee return policy....They were very accommodating and quickly issued a return ticket and also paid for return shipping....This level of customer support I was very impressed with...

I reinstalled the OE HK subs and remain very pleased with their overall sound quality...Again, I need to note that this is only after making improvements to the OE sub enclosure that I outline in the thread I mentioned earlier...

Below are a few comparison pics and a pic of the Bavsound Ghostsub installed...As a side note, I was kinda surprised that there really wasn't much of a weight difference between the two subwoofers...

Bavsound vs OE sub 2.jpg

Bavsound vs OE sub 3.jpg

Bavsound subs installed.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AW A90
Thats wild that they're just not as good as the OEM ones but I wonder who they would sound if everything was left stock, meaning no holes cut or foam added.

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thats wild that they're just not as good as the OEM ones but I wonder who they would sound if everything was left stock, meaning no holes cut or foam added.
I'm glad you mentioned this....I did give that some consideration and actually covered / blocked the ports added to the narrow rear panel to test that theory....The lower bass response of the Bavsound was even worse and also created quite a bit more vibrations...seriously...

Adding those ports to the narrow rear panel actually fixes a design issue...Placing a narrow rear panel directly in front of the existing OE exhaust ports was a big mistake on Toyota part which created quite a bit of vibration and distortion! As you can see in the pic below there a 3 elongated ports per enclosure and are meant to be unobstructed....

woofer rear narrow panel with ports.jpg

I'm also not the only one that has experienced this...A few others in our facebook group that had replaced the OE's with Bavsound, and did not do the improvements, had similar experience and were very underwhelmed...Also if you research the Bavsound ghost subs on the BMW forums you'll find others mention them as having a "punchy" upper bass response but lower bass response was noticeably diminished as well...

As I've mentioned many times the OE Harmon Kardon woofers are actually very good particularly after removing the OE exhaust port obstruction....

Here is a comparison test that an audio engineer on the BMW forums did between 5 different woofers which includes Bavsound....The bass response shown for the Bavsound supports what I experienced in the Supra....

Underseat Woofer Comparisons.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase

MaherSupra

First Name
Maher
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra
Vehicle Showcase
As many of you know I had posted a thread here on our forum a while ago on How to Improve OE Sub Bass Quality and Eliminate Vibrations

To briefly summarize, surprisingly, the Harmon Kardon 8" Subs in the Supra are actually very good speakers once you correct some very basic design issues that were overlooked by Toyota... Without ports added, the bass exhaust energy was literally trapped behind the rear panel which created quite of bit of vibrational noise and also muddied bass response...

Adding exhaust ports to the rear panel along with lining the enclosure walls with wadding and insulating the space behind the narrow rear panel, essentially lowered the Q (damping effects) and resulted in a flatter / clearer bass response...The Bass is now deeper, punchier, and far less distorted and eliminated much of the vibrational noise heard...

completed ported subwoofer system.jpg

I also mention that for anyone considering installing direct replacement subwoofers as a knee-jerk reaction to improving sound distortions, vibrations, and rattles, these basic improvements should be seriously considered before replacing them...

====================

Which leads me to the Bavsound Ghostsubs...

After all these improvements were made I was curious as to if the Bavsound Ghost subs would further improve bass response and sound quality above that of the OE Harmon Kardon woofers....

After installation of the Bavsound Ghostsubs I gave the subs the recommended 10 hour break-in before evaluating them fully...Actually I gave them over 20 hrs of breakin to re-evaluate...

I have to say that sadly I was disappointed and a bit underwhelmed...I really wanted these to be better than the HK subs, but they were not...While i did experience to slightly punchier upper bass response, the lower bass response was noticeably lacking....

Now Bavsound does make the claim that their subs produce "2x the bass" and are "+10 db louder than the factory subs from 20hz to 60hz"...Both of which I did not experience...Perhaps this applies to the underseat ghostsubs in the BMW, but this is not the case with the Supra, where the enclosure design is very different than that of BMW underseat application...Like I said, I really wanted to like these and was disappointed they didn't work out for me....The Supra's factory Harmon Kardons subs actually produced a much deeper bass response with very good clarity!

Bavsound claims cropped.jpg

====================

I decided I would return the Ghostsubs as Bavsound has a 100 day satisfaction guarantee return policy....They were very accommodating and quickly issued a return ticket and also paid for return shipping....This level of customer support I was very impressed with...

I reinstalled the OE HK subs and remain very pleased with their overall sound quality...Again, I need to note that this is only after making improvements to the OE sub enclosure that I outline in the thread I mentioned earlier...

Below are a few comparison pics and a pic of the Bavsound Ghostsub installed...As a side note, I was kinda surprised that there really wasn't much of a weight difference between the two subwoofers...

Bavsound vs OE sub 2.jpg

Bavsound vs OE sub 3.jpg

Bavsound subs installed.jpg
Wow! After all that work you end up going to the original. Why not trying out the JL Audio shallow subwoofer? BTW I am back to Arlington, VA so if you want to hear my after market sound system you're welcome to do so!

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wow! After all that work you end up going to the original. Why not trying out the JL Audio shallow subwoofer? BTW I am back to Arlington, VA so if you want to hear my after market sound system you're welcome to do so!
Actually it wasn't a lot of work for me and as an Engineer I actually enjoy doing these types of investigations...And yes, the Harmon Kardon woofers sound much better than the Bavsound ghost subs after doing a thorough evaluation of both....

Yeah, I considered JL as well until I discovered that the JL shallow subs won't fix the OE enclosure depth and I'm not so sure their woofers alone would sound any better....So far I'm still very pleased with the Harmon Kardon woofers after the necessary enclosure modifications were made....

I'm in Arizona so that would not be very convenient...but glad to hear your still pleased with your setup..

Last edited:
OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm gonna attempt on some weekend when I have the time, trust me I'm dying to try this
In the mean time simply remove the narrow rear panel shown below which will only take a few minutes...that alone will resolve roughly 80% of the problem until you can get ports installed ...

woofer cover rear narrow panel mounts.jpg

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
Would you say the upper base response and mid range capacity of the Ghost subs would be ideal if one were to add an aftermarket sub to produce the desired low range?

You wouldn't want to completely disconnect the oem subs as they play mid range frequencies correct?

If so we can try utilizing the ghost subs to only produce the upper range and eliminate any chance of distortion. If the ghost subs are poor at producing low frequencies wouldn't that benefit us by cutting out more distortion?

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Would you say the upper base response and mid range capacity of the Ghost subs would be ideal if one were to add an aftermarket sub to produce the desired low range?

You wouldn't want to completely disconnect the oem subs as they play mid range frequencies correct?

If so we can try utilizing the ghost subs to only produce the upper range and eliminate any chance of distortion. If the ghost subs are poor at producing low frequencies wouldn't that benefit us by cutting out more distortion?
I don't think the ghostsubs were really that much better then the OE Harmon Kardons subs to justify replacing them regardless of application...

Ultimately I would add crossovers to the current OE subs and use them as midbass and then add an external amplified sub...

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
I don't think the ghostsubs were really that much better then the OE Harmon Kardons subs to justify replacing them regardless of application...

Ultimately I would add crossovers to the current OE subs and use them as midbass and then add an external amplified sub...
Wouldn't the sound decrease 20% with a crossover, based off another members experience?

Do the other speakers play the full frequencies?
Sponsored